Recycling Mess

  • Alexandra Liston
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi All-

      I have never really minded folks going through our garbage and recycling,
      (even though it technically takes revenue away from the city and the
      recycling program) because I know they need the money and they work hard
      for it, but has anyone else noticed problems recently with them leaving a
      mess along the way? For the past couple of months, I have noticed they
      throw trash on the ground to get to the bottom of the can, but don't clean
      it back up again. Last Friday, there was a trail of trash down the road,
      on the curbs and on the lawns. Pretty irritating--is there anything to be
      done?

      Thanks

    • TBK
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2013
        You should report the problem to 311. The city has launched a program to track the occurrences of recycling theft. They said they need people to report each incident. The only remedy is to put trash out early in the morning.

        Hope that helps!

        Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

      • georgeafenady@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
          Yes.. this too has been a problem by my home. I live on the corner so not only do they rummage through all the trash (black cans included) they open tied trash bags and throw the contents everywhere. They also gather with there shopping carts and separate the glass bottles, plastic and cans smashing and emptying them right outside our bedroom windows early in the morning. I do not put my blue can out ever. I give it to my gardener who could use the extra money for his family. However this does not stop the problem week after week. The same vans and suv's (pretty nice suv's) come every week. They have cell phones to communicate with each other. When I see them being messy with our cans I ask them to move on. They come in cars and on foot and leave a trail here as well. Don't think reporting it will do much of anything. Every time you call about anything all I hear is "we are under staffed" and that is if you can get a human to talk to. I have reported other issues to 311 repeatedly with very little or no success. It is most likely up to us as neighbors to remedy this. Putting blue cans out in the morning would be a pain for some but would probably help a bit. Maybe printing flyers asking neighbors to do this would be a good idea since so many of them do not belong to the group and receive these emails. The more that do this the better...or it will continue to get worse.

          Best...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
            I would suggest calling and emailing Tom LaBonge's office directly. When we were on Irving we got fairly good response by contacting his office directly. You can also contact Officer Pelayo. He is our neighborhood lead officer. It is a squeaky wheel type of thing. If enough of us contact them, it is hard to ignore. With trash pickers it may not completely solve the issue, but it may lessen.

            On Irving, I would snap a photo of the license plates with my cell phone. I never engaged the pickers directly.

            Here is the contact info:

            Tom LaBonge's office - http://www.tomlabonge.com/contact/

            Officer Joseph Pelayo/Olympic Div.
            Olympic Area Front Desk