Re: Home Invasion on N Irving (start a Neighborhood Watch Program!)

  • Stu Melvin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2012
      A strong, active Neighborhood Watch program is definitely a crime deterrent and would "help prevent these and other crimes" as well as bring the neighbors closer on a social basis. I just put a map in the "Files" section of this group. It shows that all of North Irving between Beverly and Melrose has NO Watch program (as of Dec 2011). You could remedy this - become a Block Captain - contact me (323-819-5702) or LAPD Olympic Division (Sr. Lead Officer Joe Pelayo (213-793-0709) to get started. It's easy and very effective.
      Thanks, Stu Melvin

      --- In LVNA90004@yahoogroups.com, "rp8088" <rp8088@...> wrote:

      > I live on North Irving and I am terribly sorry to hear about your neighbor. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
      >
      > I appreciate your advice. I just wonder if there's anything else we can do collectively to help prevent these and other crimes in our neighborhood from occurring.
      >
      > If efforts are already being made, I would like to help.
      >
      > Richard Park
      >

      > --- In LVNA90004@yahoogroups.com, Mark Vollinger <markvollinger@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Folks:
      > >
      > > I didn't see a post here regarding the Sunday AM Crime. SSA posted an alert on details.
      > >
      > > Bottom line, We need to be careful to refuse entry to any supposed utility or delivery people.
      > > who are not expected. Demand they go away and return in 2 hours, lock the doors and  immediately call 911.
      > >
      > > Our neighbor was injured and robbed in the incident.
      > >
      > > Mark V.

    • Vivian
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2012
        My prayers go out to your neighbors.  I hope they make a speedy recovery.  This past Saturday (May 12th), the gated garage of one of the apartment buildings in the 500 block of Rossmore Ave was broken into and 4 cars had stuff taken from them as well as a child's bike that was inside the garage.

        I hope everyone stays safe,

        Vivian

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2012
          Thanks for posting this Mark, I was just thinking that we should get
          something up. It happened 2 doors down from our house, to our neighbor Jan
          and still has me shaking.
          It was scary as it happened on a Sunday morning and they said they had
          flowers for her. They wanted to use her phone to check on who had sent
          them. She got hit with a gun and tied up.

          I run a gift basket and flower shop on Melrose (Fancifull) and I can tell
          you all, sure you know this but worth reiterating in light of her attack
          and robbery, *is that ALL delivery people and service people have cell
          phones*. T*here is no reason in the world for them to need to use your
          phone. We don't hire someone if they don't have their own cell phone. *
          *If for some reason they say theirs is dead, you call for them while they
          wait outside. *

          I have to believe they were casing the neighborhood because they hit the
          person on the block who walks with a cane and lives by herself.
          Odd that it was her house. Maybe it is a coincidence...

          We just need to be more vigilant than ever. I hope to go visit her today
          or tomorrow, Was going to bring flowers....
          Terry August
          537 N. Irving