Coyote sighting - August 18, 11:15 PM

  • waterbabyla@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
      My dog Bella and our foster dog Fred began an inordinate amount of barking around 10:30 tonight, as well as running back and forth between my bedroom and the living room, looking out windows in both. I thought it must have been more cat activity than usual, or maybe some raccoons. A little after 11 o'clock we started out for a quick last walk and they were immediately pulling on their leashes and diving for our bushes. As we reached the sidewalk I glanced up and saw what at first I thought was a stray dog, and then realized was a coyote on the lawn across the street, motionless but watching us. I hustled the dogs back inside, got my camera, but by the time I got back outside the coyote was gone. Then it occurred to me that perhaps the dogs' agitation was because the coyote had first been exploring our front and back yards.

      I've seen urban coyotes a number of times over the years, and while they always behaved as this one did tonight -- keeping a watchful distance -- I want to reiterate what Karen wrote just a few days ago: don't leave pet food out at night, and be sure the furry members of your family are safe inside unless they're with you and under your control. As coyotes continue to lose more and more of their territory to development, the likelier they're going to be forced into ours.

      This one was spotted on the southeast corner of Ridgewood at the t-intersection with Elmwood.
    • Barbara Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
        Good morning.

        Two weeks ago my dog and I were walking on Arden near Clinton when the
        large young German Shepherd at 580 N. Arden came running out the front
        door of the house and straight at us. He is very aggressive, and if
        he had gotten at my dog I'm sure it would have escalated into a
        fight. I managed to keep him away from my dog by staying in the
        middle and circling with my dog behind me while the other dog tried to
        get around me. It was very scary. After yelling at the top of my
        lungs for someone to come out and get the dog, the wife and
        grandmother came outside, but they didn't do anything. A couple
        minutes later the husband of the family came out and he was finally
        able to get the dog. However, it doesn't listen to commands from any
        of them. I know that the owner could see that I was very shaken and I
        told him he had to make sure that the dog could not get out of the
        house. Afterwards a woman who saw what happened told me she heard
        that the dog had attacked another dog in the neighborhood.

        This morning, I heard a commotion outside on Clinton, and looked out
        to see another dog owner having the same experience. I'm not sure if
        the German Shepherd got out of the house or was being "walked", but it
        was off its leash and menacing a very scared woman and her terrified
        dog. By the time I got outside someone in a car had stopped to help
        and someone (perhaps the owner or maybe a passerby) was getting the
        German Shepherd on a leash. The grandmother, who I have seen walking
        the dog a few times, was standing on the sidewalk looking helpless.
        She was holding a baby. Luckily neither the woman or her dog were
        injured, but they were pretty upset, as you can imagine.

        I'm writing to ask whether others have been having problems with this
        German Shepherd and his irresponsible owners, and what steps we should
        take to address this situation. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time
        until something really serious happens.

        Thanks.

        Barbara
      • Susan Leibowitz
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2011
          those people let their dog poop everywhere and never clean it up... and the owner, the guy, often walks her by having her chase him on a motorized vehicle on the side walk... untethered. and he's impossible to talk to