California Redistricting Threatens to Split Greater Wilshire Area

  • Karen Gilman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2011
      Dear Neighbors, please note!

      --- On Sat, 7/16/11, Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council <info@...> wrote:

      From: Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council <info@...>
      Subject: California Redistricting Threatens to Split Greater Wilshire Area
      To: "GWNC News" <news@...>
      Date: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 1:45 PM

      Dear Greater Wilshire Stakeholders --

      We need your help so that we are not completely marginalized in future California elections. Please forward this message to the California redistricting commission. Ask them to fix our boundaries. The address to send your email is votersfirstact@....

      1. Who We Are. We are voters who live in the community known as Greater Wilshire in Los Angeles. Our community includes 15 residential associations with histories dating back nearly 100 years. Our two largest and best known neighborhoods are Hancock Park and Windsor Square. Our eastern boundary is Western Avenue. Our western boundary is La Brea Avenue. You have proposed to split us in half at Plymouth Boulevard in your draft redistricting maps.

      2. The Redistricting Mission. You are obliged to keep our century-old neighborhood intact in your redistricting effort, pursuant to the following governing rule: "The geographic integrity of any city, county, city and county, neighborhood, or community of interest shall be respected to the extent possible without violating the requirements of any of the preceding subdivisions. Communities of interest shall not include relationships with political parties, incumbents, or political candidates."

      3.  Required Corrections to Draft Maps:

      a.  State Board of Equalization. Please return us to the LA district for the State Board of Equalization. We lie at the midpoint of Los Angeles, but you have inexplicably removed us and placed us in a district called East, where we claim no community of interest.

      b.  Congressional Districts. In each of the 3 options, you have divided us in half at Plymouth Boulevard. We belong with WLADT. The westernmost boundary of ELABH should not begin until Western Avenue.

      c.  Assembly Districts. In both of the 2 options, you have divided us in half at Plymouth Boulevard. We belong with LAMWS or with LADNT, but the entirety of Greater Wilshire from La Brea Avenue to Western Avenue must be included in one or the other, not both.

      Please note that this item will be included on the August 10 GWNC agenda for discussion and a board vote.

      Signed, Your Greater Wilshire Neighbors

      John Welborne, Jane Usher, Liz Fuller, Jack Humphreville, Owen Smith, Wendy Savage, Cindy Chvatal-Keane, John Gresham