1575Fwd: GWNC Elections NEXT SUNDAY...and other local news and information

  • Karen Gilman
    Mar 25, 2014
      Date: Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
      Subject: Fwd: GWNC Elections NEXT SUNDAY...and other local news and information
      To:
      Here’s some local news items from GWNC. Note the top item -
      GWNC Elections - SUNDAY, MARCH 30
      This is important - please vote and support our neighbors that are running for GWNC office. Details below.
      Stu
      Stuart Melvin
      Begin forwarded message:
      From:
      Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council <info@...>
      Subject:
      GWNC Elections NEXT SUNDAY...and other local news and information
      Date:
      March 24, 2014 at 1:56:29 PM PDT
      To:
      GWNC News <news@...>
      GWNC Elections - SUNDAY, MARCH 30
      This coming Sunday, March 30, all 21 seats on the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council's board of directors will be up for election. The elections will be held at John Burroughs Middle School, 600 S. McCadden, from 12-4 p.m.
      For our full list of candidates, please see
      http://empowerla.org/gwnc/greater-wilshire-nc-2014-elections/ ;
      If you live, work or own property in the GWNC area , you are entitled to two votes in the election: one for your geographic representative in the area where you live, work or own property...and one for either one of our Special Interest seats (Renters, Business, Religion, Education or Other Non-Profit organization) or our At Large seat.
      Also please remember that everyone must register to vote at the polls...prior registrations for Neighborhood Council, city, state or federal elections do not count for this election. You must also bring documentation verifying your stakeholder status for each seat you wish to vote for when you register. For more information, please see the attached documents explaining voter qualifications and documentation...
      ...and please circulate the attached election flyer to your neighbors and friends. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the polls next weekend!
      Local Crime Down
      To all the stakeholders in Basic Car Area 7A17, congratulations and a big THANK YOU from LAPD's Wilshire Division. Your input, cooperation and diligence have led to a successful year, so far.
      In the Basic Car 7A17 area, which covers Willoughby Ave. to Wilshire Blvd., and Poinsettia Pl. to Plymouth Blvd.,, Part One crime is down 24.6%, Total Violent Crime is down 41.7% and Total Property Crime is down 22.6%. To give you an idea of what this means:
      Robbery down 33.3%
      Aggravated Assaults down 66.7%
      Burglary down 43.3%
      Grand Theft Auto down 10%
      Burglary or Theft from Motor Vehicle down 14.6%
      Theft down 16%
      Please keep up the great work! Watch out for your neighbor’s home and your neighborhoods, keep those windows locked and keep those tempting items out of sight and in your car trunk!!
      Metro Clarification of Extended Work Hours for Subway Construction
      After recent news reports saying Metro is seeking permission to work on the subway 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the agency issued this clarification:
      Metro has one application currently before the Los Angeles Police Commission for construction work on the first phase of the Purple Line Extension. It asks for a six month extension of a permit that expires April 17 for utility relocation night work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. with the stipulation that the noisiest work be performed before 11 p.m. The work would be done five nights at week — Monday through Friday at Wilshire/La Brea and Sunday through Thursday for Wilshire/Fairfax.
      Metro has also met with the Police Commission to discuss an upcoming application for station box pile drilling work in 2015, which would be done between
      7 a.m. and 11 p.m.
      This work will occur after all the utility relocation has been completed.
      Also, in January, Metro submitted three applications to the Police Commission to allow night-time work involving noise at Wilshire and Western, Wilshire and LaBrea and Wilshire and Fairfax. This would include pile installation, street decking and yard work at those locations beginning in August 2014. Metro has asked the Commission to not act on that request while the agency works on providing more details. Metro is currently working on resubmitting these applications.
      The
      project’s Construction Fact Sheet
      contains more information on how this will all occur.
      Short-Term Rentals Clarification
      Please see the attached notice for some answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Short-Term Rentals in the City of Los Angeles.
      Wilshire Boulevard BRT Construction Notice
      The Wilshire Boulevard BRT project website has been updated to include the notice for work on Wilshire Blvd. from Rossmore Avenue to June Street.
      Work is expected to begin as soon as March 22, 2014, and is weather dependent:
      Work will take approximately 4 weeks
      Please visit www.wilshirebrt.com for updates
      Construction scheduling may change due to unforeseen conditions
      For more information, see the City of Los Angeles - Wilshire BRT website: http://www.wilshirebrt.com/
      CicLAvia: Iconic Wilshire Boulevard - Sunday, April 6
      In just three weeks, Wilshire Blvd. will serve as the host of the first of three CICLAVIA events this year. Ciclovías started in Bogotá, Colombia, more than thirty years ago as a response to the congestion and pollution of city streets. Now they happen throughout Latin America and the United States.
      Connecting communities and giving people a break from the stress of car traffic. The health benefits are immense. Ciclovías bring families outside of their homes to enjoy the streets, our largest public space. In Los Angeles we need CicLAvia more than ever. Our streets are congested with traffic, our air is polluted with toxic fumes, our children suffer from obesity and other health conditions caused by the scarcity of public space and safe, healthy transportation options. CicLAvia creates a temporary park for free, simply by removing cars from city streets. It creates a network of connections between our neighborhoods and businesses and parks with corridors filled with fun. We can't wait to see you at CicLAvia!
      Come to the place where no cars go when CicLAvia - Iconic Wilshire Boulevard transforms one of the legendary thoroughfares of Los Angeles on April 6. CicLAvia is open to the public and free of charge. Registration is not required and there is no starting or ending point along the route. From 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., CicLAvia - Iconic Wilshire Boulevard offers six miles of car-free, open streets and participants can join the fun at any point along the route.
      More than 100,000 participants will have fun biking and strolling and using other alternative transportation as they connect with with businesses, outdoor exercise, diverse neighborhoods and each other. Participants can enhance their experience by listening to a podcast by architectural researcher and commentator Edward Lifson and following a pocket architectural walking guide written by Catherine Gudis.
      The CicLAvia - Iconic Wilshire Boulevard route will connect One Wilshire in Downtown Los Angeles to Fairfax Avenue along Miracle Mile. These two anchor hubs will feature pedestrian zones with performers, activities sponsored by several fantastic museums, programming by some of our community partners, food trucks and more. Additional hubs along the route include MacArthur Park, Koreatown and Mid-Wilshire.
      Please be advised of street closures and plan ahead. For more information, visit CICLAVIA.org
      City of LA Online Bike Plan Primer - April 17
      In 2011, the City of Los Angeles adopted the 2010 Bicycle Plan to increase and enhance bicycling in the City as a viable safe, healthy, and enjoyable means of transportation. Every year, the Department of Transportation (LADOT), in partnership with the Department of City Planning (DCP), selects 40 miles of corridors that have high potential to expand the City's bikeway network. A preview of the corridors selected for this year, in addition to an overview of the public participation process, are included in the attached handout.
      In order to help answer general questions about Bicycle Plan implementation process, the City of Los Angeles – DCP and LADOT will host an online “Bike Plan Primer” on April 17, 2014; from 7 PM to 8 PM.
      To register visit: http://tinyurl.com/BikePrimer
      For more information, please visit http://www.thelabikeplan.org/
      LADWP Asks for Public Input on Stormwater Capture
      The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) is hosting its first public meeting to seek public input on its Stormwater Capture Master Plan. All are invited to learn and contribute to LADWP’s blueprint for capturing more stormwater in the City of Los Angeles. When completed, the Stormwater Capture Master Plan will serve as an important component of LADWP’s strategy to increase local water supplies and reduce the City’s reliance on more expensive imported water.
      LADWP Stormwater Capture Master Plan Public Meeting
      Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
      Los Angeles River Center, 570 West Avenue 26, Los Angeles
      Free parking on site.
      To learn more, visit www.ladwp.com/scmp or www.ladwp.com/stormwater.
      For more information contact:
      Joseph Ramallo
      LADWP Communications
      (213) 367-1361
      Mountain Lion Sightings in Los Angeles
      Mountain Lions are wild animals and can pose a risk to people and pets. The goal of Los Angeles Animal Services is to educate the public by fostering a relationship of mutual respect between wildlife and the community so we can live together safely. Los Angeles Animal Services asks that the public please exercise caution when encountering mountain lions. The California Department of Fish & Wildlife is the primary agency for all mountain lion issues. 70% of Mountain Lion sightings turn out to be another animal such as deer, a Great Dane, a Bobcat or house cat.
      Recent sightings have been reported of the radio collared Mountain lion known as P22 tracked by the National Park Service in the Hollywood Hills. Another Mountain Lion encounter with two dogs at two different locations in Tujunga, CA occurred on March 13, 2014. The second lion is not collared.
      Mountain Lion Emergency for situations involving an injured lion, or a mountain lion encounter with another animal in progress, please call: 911, the California Department of Fish & Wildlife Dispatch at (951) 443-2944, then call Los Angeles Animal Services at (888) 452-7381.
      Basic Non- Emergency Sightings where the animal is just passing through, call California Department of Fish & Wildlife at (951) 443-2969. The Department of Animal Services Wildlife Program may be reached at (323) 225-WILD (9453) for information on deterrents, aversion tactics, and property alteration recommendations.
      A Mountain Lions primary diet is deer supplemented by rabbits and rodents. On rare occasions, they will prey upon pets and livestock. On extremely rare occasions Mountain Lions have attacked humans. Please follow the below recommendations, if you encounter a Mountain Lion.
      Staying Safe in Mountain Lion Country
      Do not feed deer; it is illegal in California and it will attract mountain lions.
      Deer-proof landscaping by avoiding plants that deer like to eat.
      Trim brush to reduce hiding places for mountain lions.
      Don’t leave small children or pets outside unattended.
      Install motion-sensitive lighting around the house.
      Provide sturdy, covered shelters for sheep, goats, and other vulnerable animals.
      Don’t allow pets outside when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
      Mountain lion attacks on humans are extremely rare. However, conflicts are increasing as California’s human population expands into mountain lion habitat.
      Do not hike, bike, or jog alone.
      Avoid hiking or jogging when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
      Keep a close watch on small children.
      Do not approach a mountain lion.
      If you encounter a mountain lion, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to look bigger by waving your arms; throw rocks or other objects. Pick up small children.
      If attacked, fight back.
      If a mountain lion attacks a person, immediately call 911.
      Mountain lion FAQ - http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/lion/lion_faq.html
      The Los Angeles Animal Services has a Wildlife Program which can be reached at (323) 225-9453 for information on deterrents, aversion tactics, or a property assessment to provide property alteration recommendations.
      For more information, contact:
      Brenda Barnette, General Manager
      Email: brenda.barnette@...
      Phone: (213) 482-9558
      Mayor Garcetti Launches Interactive Budget Website
      Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has launched a new website that makes it easier for people to review the city's finances by offering interactive graphs of the current and past budget, including multi-year trends and departmental revenue and expenditure details.
      Mayor Garcetti’s budget website is at
      www.lamayor.org/openbudget and uses the cloud-based OpenGov Platform. It is being launched as Mayor Garcetti prepares to release his first budget as Mayor next month.
      “My new budget website gives residents a better way to see how their tax dollars are being collected and spent, making LA city government more transparent and accountable,” said Mayor Garcetti.
      Mayor Garcetti's back to basics agenda is focused on making city government more efficient, responsive, transparent and accountable, and he has used technology as a key way to achieve this. The new budget information site compliments ControlPanelLA, the web tool launched late last year by Controller Ron Galperin. ControlPanelLA is a searchable database of actual expenses and revenues since the city installed its current financial software system in July 2011. Open Budget is a searchable database of budgeted expenses and revenues going back five years to July 1, 2009. ControlPanel LA is best for looking for specific financial information -- Open Budget is best for analyzing budgeting information and trends. Together, they provide an unprecedented interactive window into the details of the budget and finances of the City of Los Angeles for citizens and researchers.
      In addition to the new budget website, Mayor Garcetti’s performance metrics website –
      www.lamayor.org/performance -- allows residents to monitor how effective city departments are in providing services. Mayor Garcetti also recently appointed the city's first Chief Information Technology Officer, Peter Marx
      http://www.lamayor.org/mayor_garcetti_appoints_peter_marx_as_chief_innovation_technology_officer, who helped launch this site.
      "The City of Los Angeles is setting a new standard for public reporting and transparency. By transforming their data into meaningful, actionable information, the city brings its immense data to life.” says Zachary Bookman, CEO and co-founder of OpenGov. "This is a wonderful opportunity to create engagement and strengthen the relationship between the City and the community.”
      The Open Budget splash page on Mayor Garcetti's website was designed by Signature Creative. "Signature Creative was thrilled to work with Mayor Garcetti's office to help make the City's Open Budget a user-friendly experience," said John Gheur, Founder of Signature Creative. "This cutting-edge website helps our city government better reflect LA's reputation as one of the most creative and innovative cities in the world."
      In addition, Mayor Garcetti is using a new "Performance-Based" budgeting model this year. City budgets are usually created by taking the previous year’s budget and simply adding to it or reducing it. Performance based budgeting starts with identifying the desired results, and then spending decisions are made based on how to best achieve those results.
      LADWP to Open Four Regional Customer Service Centers on Saturdays
      to Help Resolve Customer Billing Problems
      In an ongoing effort to resolve customer billing problems, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) will open four of its Customer Service Centers on Saturdays for the next eight weeks, starting with Saturday, March 22. Hours will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
      “We are tackling our billing problems head-on by having customer service representatives available on Saturdays to assist customers with their billing problems in person,” said Interim Executive Director of Customer Service Randy Howard. “We are working on multiple fronts to improve our operations and make good on our promise to get these billing issues corrected for our customers. We hope that by opening these centers on Saturdays we will be able to help more of our customers resolve their billing questions and problems.”
      When visiting the service centers, customers can expect full customer service assistance from staff that are able to take payments, process service order requests, answer billing questions, and resolve billing issues.
      Locations of the customer service centers are:
      Crenshaw CSC
      4030 Crenshaw Boulevard
      Los Angeles, CA 90008
      Van Nuys CSC
      6550 Van Nuys Boulevard
      Van Nuys, CA 91401
      Watts CSC
      1686 E. 103rd Street
      Los Angeles, CA 90002
      West Los Angeles CSC
      1394 S. Sepulveda Boulevard
      Los Angeles, CA 90025
      In response to the significant operational problems encountered with the replacement of its 40- year old customer billing system, LADWP apologized in an open letter to its customers and launched a new billing information webpage to allow customers to track the progress being made.
      Customers who have questions about their bill are encouraged to contact LADWP online at www.ladwp.com/ContactUs or call 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397) and use the self-service or personal call back option, which eliminates the need for customers to wait on hold by having a customer service representative call them back.
      Save Our Streets LA Community Briefing Session - April 2
      City Council Members Mitchell Englander and Joe Buscaino invite you to attend the Save Our Streets Los Angeles Community Briefing Session at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, April 2 at City Hall in the Edward R. Roybal Public Works Session Room on the 3rd Floor.
      In January 2013, Save Our Streets Los Angeles was introduced as a solution to our City’s infrastructure problem created by decades of neglect and diminishing funding. In addition to ending our 60-year backlog of broken streets and sidewalks, Save our Streets Los Angeles will improve safety and mobility for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and emergency responders.
      For the last 15 months the city has conducted extensive outreach with numerous community, industry, business, environmental, labor, and neighborhood council leaders across the City. On April 2, Save Our Streets personnel will brief you on the input received and discuss the next steps for Save Our Streets Los Angeles.