help - i'm a beginner

  • hh96817
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 9, 2007
      i own 2 acres on vancouver island... canada. i like the lvl design
      very much but have NO experience in building or where to begin. has
      anyone an interest in offering me direction? the land is on a gentle
      slope, it is a 180-degree ocean view, it will have well water and
      septic. is the lvl ultimately (turn key) an affordable home?
      thanks,
      cheryl
    • gregg schultz
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 9, 2007
        I think you should start at message # 1 and read
        through. People have posted a lot of info including
        exact costs. Good luck!

        --- hh96817 <hh96817@...> wrote:

        > i own 2 acres on vancouver island... canada. i like
        > the lvl design
        > very much but have NO experience in building or
        > where to begin. has
        > anyone an interest in offering me direction? the
        > land is on a gentle
        > slope, it is a 180-degree ocean view, it will have
        > well water and
        > septic. is the lvl ultimately (turn key) an
        > affordable home?
        > thanks,
        > cheryl

      • jeanne jaeger

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 14, 2007
            Yes, there are always variables that you can control to help with cost, but there are others
            that come up due to technical aspects, some not addressed, by the design of this building.
            As you take the time to read thru the past posts on this site, which I strongly encourage
            anyone who is considering this project to take the time to do, you will notice certain
            subjects/issues/aspects re-occurring for folks, aka windows, as they build which end up
            costing them, sometimes a good amount, in time, money, and frustration.

            True, this is the case with ANY new home building; I think it weighs heavily here though
            because these homes have been so ardently promoted as a way to sidestep the majority of
            these particular home building frustrations and more importantly COSTS. These homes
            are expensive to build unless you have all the skill or are able to get the skill for dirt
            cheap, but even then the homes are 'overbuilt' which can be a nice thing until you get a
            bill for 2/3rds more then expected for simple floor framing because it is so complex and
            time consuming to build it to Romero's specs, aka drilling into the concrete to bolt the
            steel beams to the foundation, ugh.

            There's a lot of good but there's a lot to be realistic about too which is not really seen thru
            the promotion of these buildings. It's increadibly important to realistically educate
            yourself well about this and you will be happier whether you choose to build or not.

            --- In LVHomeFans@yahoogroups.com, jeanne jaeger <caesarpearl@...> wrote:

            > depends on what you call affordable? we are currently in the last stages of building an
            lvl and we are sucked dry of cash!!!!!!!! way more expensive then led to believe.

            > hh96817 <hh96817@...> wrote:
            > i own 2 acres on vancouver island... canada. i like the lvl design
            > very much but have NO experience in building or where to begin. has
            > anyone an interest in offering me direction? the land is on a gentle
            > slope, it is a 180-degree ocean view, it will have well water and
            > septic. is the lvl ultimately (turn key) an affordable home?
            > thanks,
            > cheryl
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage.

          • charlenemcbride
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 18, 2007
              When you say way more expensive, how expensive do you mean? I've
              always heard the cost of building and finishing would be about the
              same as or a little bit more than the cost of the kit. Is it more than
              that?

              --- In LVHomeFans@yahoogroups.com, jeanne jaeger <caesarpearl@...> wrote:

              > depends on what you call affordable? we are currently in the last
              stages of building an lvl and we are sucked dry of cash!!!!!!!! way
              more expensive then led to believe.

              <deleted>
            • Jim Sheehan
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 19, 2007

                Expensive is a very relative term.

                If you are thinking that you could buy an LVL kit for $40K and build it for another $40K then I would say it is expensive.  I see no way that this could be done for $80-100.

                The best thing to do is to go out and talk with some builders and get some ballpark estimates on the major things.

                With all that said I do think this is affordable solution for this type of construction.  Face it, we look at this type of home because we like the high end modern look.

                At the end of the day I will have close to $350K into mine – if you figure I have 2800 sq feet then this comes out to about $125/sq ft.  This could be reduced in the following ways

                Cheaper windows - $10K

                No soapstone fireplace - $27K

                No geothermal - $15K

                No basement - $40K

                Not sure if this helps…..

                Thx

                Jim

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 19, 2007

                  Trying out the new photo thing on google

                  http://picasaweb.google.com/JahanMN/Nov07BigSandProject

                  Was up this weekend and got the first toilet installed so I can take the family up this weekend to paint!

                  Thx

                  Jim

                • Pat Rosend
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 19, 2007
                    In regards to affordable...It depends on your budget.

                    If you  are going to work with a contractor and have them do the kit build for you, then a rule of thumb for KIT homes, not just the LVL, is kit cost times three. Example, Kit cost with delivery. et al is $50k, total finished price would be $150k. This is a very loose rule. The LVL has a much higher finish level than most kits and also has some unusual featureas like the flat roof and large picture windows that would lend to a higher than typical cost.

                    It is my feeling that when people are saying" affordable" it is in reference to a high end "one off" modern home design. It will certainly be less expensive than that.

                    If you are planning to do the build yourself, than a lot of costs will be less, but some higher costs will remain like the large custom windows. This board has been useful in finding suppliers and ideas on how to manage those costs.

                    In all fairness it is not just LVL kit homes that can be expensive. A freind of mine bought a Lindal home kit.(cost $150k!)  Unexpected costs such as a need to store the kit for four months before construction could start, a huge septic field problem etc really ran the project over budget. These things really have more to do with the site than anything else. final build cost more tha then 3 multiplier YIKES.

                    We have actually ended up getting a pre fab unit b/c we just are not able to stomach or afford the ineveitable cost overruns on these type of projects (or any constructions projects) Just our nature. I would love to be able to build an LVL in the future and hope to someday!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 19, 2007
                      Plus, Jim, I think it is good to note for those who are new to your postings, that you are
                      doing some/much of the work yourself which greatly effects the costs.

                      Thank you for continuing to share your photos and experiences. I hope you have a restful
                      Thanksgiving before the big family 'work weekend'!

                      Rachel

                      --- In LVHomeFans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sheehan" <jim@...> wrote:

                      > Expensive is a very relative term.
                      >

                      > If you are thinking that you could buy an LVL kit for $40K and build it for
                      > another $40K then I would say it is expensive. I see no way that this could
                      > be done for $80-100.
                      >

                      > The best thing to do is to go out and talk with some builders and get some
                      > ballpark estimates on the major things.
                      >

                      > With all that said I do think this is affordable solution for this type of
                      > construction. Face it, we look at this type of home because we like the
                      > high end modern look.
                      >

                      > At the end of the day I will have close to $350K into mine - if you figure I
                      > have 2800 sq feet then this comes out to about $125/sq ft. This could be
                      > reduced in the following ways
                      >

                      > Cheaper windows - $10K
                      >
                      > No soapstone fireplace - $27K
                      >
                      > No geothermal - $15K
                      >
                      > No basement - $40K
                      >

                      > Not sure if this helps...
                      >

                      > Thx
                      >
                      > Jim

                    • Michael Slavitch
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 19, 2007
                        If you are a novice builder you should look at Firstday cottages:
                        www.firstday-cottages.com

                        Those are designed for the self-builder at relative low cost. Total
                        cost of build for the DIY builder is about 2-2.5x the cost of the kit.

                        The LVL is not for the novice or the all thumbs. It requires
                        engineering and has some complex bits, and still requires windows,
                        roofing material and an interior.
                        Kitchens and bathrooms are not cheap, neither is wiring and plumbing and HVAC.

                        3x cost of kit is at the low end for the LVL even DIY self-build as it
                        requires assistance for the windows and roof.

                        Given that it is not standard stick built I'd say 4x cost of kit is
                        more accurate once all finishings are included, make that 5x if all
                        work is done by a contractor.
                        For the $50K kit the end cost is around $200-250K plus land, around
                        $125-175 per square foot.

                        This is in line with normal catalog stick-built houses but still
                        $50-125 less than a custom architect design.

                        TANNSAAFL
                      • justbyte_me
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
                          Thanks for sharing these new photos, Jim. How exciting!

                          --- In LVHomeFans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sheehan" <jim@...> wrote:

                          > Trying out the new photo thing on google
                          >

                          > http://picasaweb.google.com/JahanMN/Nov07BigSandProject
                          >

                          > Was up this weekend and got the first toilet installed so I can
                          take the
                          > family up this weekend to paint!
                          >

                          > Thx
                          >
                          > Jim

                        • jeanne jaeger
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
                            I agree with most of what you say.  The LVL process took forever, way longer than it should and that accounted for much expense.  We should have gotten all plans done and approved much sooner.  The customer service end was awful.  Sometime we could not even get a response for days on end, just the run around.  This in turn caused a chain reaction for the rest of the process.  Some of the hidden delays and costs should be revealed up front.  this would be called good customer service.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007

                              Folks

                              Just to weigh in on the other side – I had good experience with the customer service.  There were a couple of times I had questions during construction and I placed a call and had my answer the same day.  I also had a couple of issues with design that were different than some of the parts and Rocio and I worked it out to my satisfaction.  We did in my opinion a fair number of customizations and I was happy with the solutions their team came up with and what they turned around for us.

                              Thx

                              Jim

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
                                  Unfortunately customer service for my project's design portion was a nightmare as well, in
                                  fact it took so long that Romero's company charged ME a 10% price increase on the total
                                  kit because their customization process took over the contracted 90 days. Design
                                  turnarounds took an inordinate amount of time, sometimes they even left the office for a
                                  week when they knew I had a deadline and no one made me aware that they would be
                                  gone w/abosultely no contact person available.

                                  Also, I was only made aware of any final amount/estimate of what my customization would
                                  cost in my first phone call w/Rocio only to have that be inacurate; I just kept getting the
                                  'mystery bills' and watching it all add up (I did make a mirroring change along the way, but
                                  that was not a part of the first conversation on costs). If there was a dispute/question it
                                  was almost impossible to recieve a resolution; they just didn't seem to want to deal with it.

                                  As I build now, we have come across questions, some because the original information
                                  provided was so outdated, and as far as I know, my GC has had most of his questions
                                  addressed promptly which makes me feel a bit better about this process. But all in all,
                                  they really were difficult and then let the ball drop when at the end we never recieved
                                  information promised in the kit contract to help us organize the delivery and were in fact
                                  treated as if we were asking for something special; we just had to wing it.

                                  I've come across others who have built w/in the past 2 years and had only positive
                                  experiences, but also those who have encountered similar issues and attitudes as I did. It
                                  sounds like they are very inconsistant there, but due to what I'm just not sure. My final
                                  thought after I recieved the kit was, I almost wished they would be bought out by a larger
                                  company with the resources to run this idea properly so that these design and customer
                                  service 'kinks' could get ironed out and the better parts of this 'idea' could shine thru
                                  consistantly.

                                • jeanne jaeger
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 24, 2007
                                    I totally agree. They would not even tell us what shipping company was handling the delivery and we just wanted to talk to them and let them know the best route to take.  We had one mystery cost after another also..........  We could never get a straight answer out of anyone.  All they care about is charging for the kit and staying out of trouble with absolutely NO liablity.