Window wall trim

  • Dar
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
      Starting on my siding this week. One area not solved yet is the 6" space between the sliding doors. I would like to hear from those of you that solved this problem, what to use, and where did you get it? The space is wider than any aluminum extrusions I have found out there. 6" wide x 9' high. four of them on an LVL. RR does not include anything in the siding " kit", typical. I think the material should be anodized aluminum to match the sliding door frame system.
    • gregg schultz
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
        On the inside? We just drywalled it.  Looks good.  I'm not sure I understand the question

        Starting on my siding this week. One area not solved yet is the 6" space between the sliding doors. I would like to hear from those of you that solved this problem, what to use, and where did you get it? The space is wider than any aluminum extrusions I have found out there. 6" wide x 9' high. four of them on an LVL. RR does not include anything in the siding " kit", typical. I think the material should be anodized aluminum to match the sliding door frame system.

      • Dar Kuehl
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
          No, The outside. Also there is no trim horizontal above the sliders,thats 4" wide and runs the length of the window system.. My window builder said all this "trim" is part of the siding not the aluminum window schedule.?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
            I know others have complained about running out of trim, but we used the galvalume supplied by Rocio between and above the sliders.  She supplied enough.  It required cutting and bending but our entire exterior used the metal provided.

            No, The outside. Also there is no trim horizontal above the sliders,thats 4" wide and runs the length of the window system.. My window builder said all this "trim" is part of the siding not the aluminum window schedule.?

            On the inside? We just drywalled it.  Looks good.  I'm not sure I understand the question

            Starting on my siding this week. One area not solved yet is the 6" space between the sliding doors. I would like to hear from those of you that solved this problem, what to use, and where did you get it? The space is wider than any aluminum extrusions I have found out there. 6" wide x 9' high. four of them on an LVL. RR does not include anything in the siding " kit", typical. I think the material should be anodized aluminum to match the sliding door frame system.

            I kno
          • Dar Kuehl
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
              Thanks for the reply. I have everything layed out and do not see anything that would work. Her instructions state that the trim is supplied by "others."... My problems are magnified as my siding is copper color, and I want to use matching trim on the window walls.( clear anodized). I guess I will keep looking for a product, maybe no one else has run into this, but I think they have, looking at some of the other projects.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2010
                Hi there,

                At my site we had a disagreement between the builder and the window installer as to whose responsibility it was to do this work/trimming, what was eventually called "wrapping the columns".  I did have enough of the siding (silver colored Kynar) to do the trick of bending and fashioning the vertical piece.  My suggestion would be to create a less obvious 'overlap' much like the flat siding and meet the seams of the siding.  I have oversized glass windows next to my sliders to provide for some interior wall space so my columns between them are not 9'.

                The horizontals are a tube that sit between the transoms and the sliding doors which the window company installed w/design input from the builder since this issue of how to support and marry the 2 was not addressed in the plans!  The window company used an 'instock' anodized aluminum tube for this **BUT** did NOT thermally break it as was discussed and now becomes frosted over each winter.  It is being replaced this saturday at my expense.

                Jim and Rui were kind enough to provide me with their solutions to siding issues and other design trickiness found along the way.  I hope this helps!

                Rachel

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Thanks Rachel.
                  This helps give me some perspective, that I am not alone out there... I guess my best choice will be to find anodized Alum. stock, or , form the sheet and then have it anodized.. I was hoping for a simpler solution.
                    On your Horizontals, thats interesting that you chose exposed "tube" as a profile. Hope the change out works for you, as it sounds like a structural change. That does give me an idea, using a half round or tube that fits the 4" gap.,expands my options.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
                    Almost two months into construction now, and although progress is maybe a little slower than I would like (isn't it always?), the house is shaping up. We're building the basement walls out of Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs), and the pink stuff on the basement floor (assuming the photo is actually attached!) is polystyrene insulation, which should ensure that the radiant floor heat goes upwards, and not downwards.

                    The LV Home kit is scheduled to arrive during the second week of September, by which time we need to have completed the basement and the sub-floor. Fingers crossed! Move-in is currently pencilled in for the first week of the New Year.

                    If you'd like to follow the daily details of the build,  there's my blog (theminniehouse.blogspot.com) and my Twitter account: @MasterSteveR. I've also started a Facebook page, also called The Minnie House, which you can find by using the Facebook search function.

                    There's also a new article about the house in the local paper : http://www.mercurynews.com/pacifica/ci_15808292

                    Hope some of you will come and check it out. And if you're in the Bay Area and want to see the site or discuss the project, please get in touch.

                    All the best,

                    Steve

                  • Dar Kuehl
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 19, 2010
                      I think you are overly optimistic about moving in by New Years....just add 6 months to that
                      for reality, and that considering you have big crews , precise planing ( always a problem when building a RR home).,and ready funding that does not run out because of cost overuns.  Good luck.