Flat-roof scupper solution

  • Ethan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      We have a lot of trees that just love to drop leaves and twigs on our
      LVL roof. I removed the scupper covers and that seemed to improve the
      drainage. However, I was still worried about going without any type of
      filter, so my contractor designed a filter to prevent/reduce clogging
      issues during fall. It's a pretty simple design, but, hopefully, it
      performs better than the scupper grates specified in the LV plans.

      You can see a photo here:
      http://secretfortresshideout.blogspot.com/2008/09/flat-roof-resolution.html

      Hope this helps others who may have the same flat-roof issue.
    • darkuehl
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        --- In LVHomeFans@yahoogroups.com, "Ethan" <sfh33@...> wrote:

        > We have a lot of trees that just love to drop leaves and twigs on our
        > LVL roof. I removed the scupper covers and that seemed to improve the
        > drainage. However, I was still worried about going without any type of
        > filter, so my contractor designed a filter to prevent/reduce clogging
        > issues during fall. It's a pretty simple design, but, hopefully, it
        > performs better than the scupper grates specified in the LV plans.
        >
        > You can see a photo here:

        http://secretfortresshideout.blogspot.com/2008/09/flat-roof-resolution.html

        > Hope this helps others who may have the same flat-roof issue.

        I am sure what you did will help , however , may be overkill. I had
        a flat roof on my last home , and the scupper drains we not a big problem.
        I had stair access , so , cleaning was easy.A lot depends on the type
        of cover that fits the drain. On my LVL we are not going to use the
        drain system ,. because of my house backing up to a rock elevation , I
        will drain out the back of the roof. ( A more cost effective design
        ), for very cold, 300 inches of snow climate......... Something for
        others who are designing to think about.
        I will use my roof , and , am going to fiberglass it , instead of the
        rubber stuff , that can be problematic and costly. I want a roof that
        I can walk on , with out voiding the warranty.