Re: [LVHomeFans] Albany New York Build

  • jeanne jaeger
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      I would say probably..........depending on interior choices and how high end you go on kitchen cabinets and countertops and bathrooms.  Ours was about 350,000 but we had a finished basement and bath and land was only 30,000.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        I think an LVL for 200k is totally unrealistic.  UNless you're doing it yourself, no contractor, like Jennifer and BArry did.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
          remember it is without the land cost and no finish is basement

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
            I have an LV, not LVL, so I'm not sure what the sq footage of the LVL (minus basement) is, but it's more than 1200, which is what the LV is, becasue it has one more room.  I think it has 1500.  So to build for under 200k, you need to find someone to put it up for $100 a square foot.  In New York.  (That would be 1500 x 100 = 150,000 + 50k for the kit plus delivery).  Jennifer and Barry came in around 100 a foot if I recall, but materials are WAY more expensive now (HVAC and wood prices are much higher, as is anything with steel in it). THey also need more windows for the LVL, and the roof will be more due to footage and the fact that roofing is an oil byproduct, so it's WAY more expnsive.  I'm not trying to be a naysayer -- I hope someone can do it for under 200k, but I've always tried to be realistic about it....get some bids and see what people say, but I'm happy to take bets as to whether it can be done.  If someone came to me and saiud, we're only doing this if we can do it for 200k, even if it was the smaller LV, I would say it is not possible.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
              My recommendation would be to find out current stick built price per square foot in
              geographical area of interest. Most GCs and builders can give that info off the top of the
              head. Based on "end" of GC/builder (high--mid--low) you can guess level of finishes they
              would include. One caution is that individuals at high end tend to use much, much higher
              end finishes than a builder tagged at the same end. (Think Miele versus GE Monogram)

              Costs with a kit house likely approximate stick built, so this info can be a start. As you
              noted, do be very aware that land prep can be expensive entirely independent of the LV, so
              factor those into your budget early on.

              I will share FYI estimates for LV Mini in Maine from GC's proposing on our build when in.

              Separate question: what should I do to keep my posts from oddly wrapping?
            • darkuehl
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
                --- In LVHomeFans@yahoogroups.com, "lvminime" <jdl@...> wrote:

                > My recommendation would be to find out current stick built price per
                square foot in
                > geographical area of interest. Most GCs and builders can give that
                info off the top of the
                > head. Based on "end" of GC/builder (high--mid--low) you can guess
                level of finishes they
                > would include. One caution is that individuals at high end tend to
                use much, much higher
                > end finishes than a builder tagged at the same end. (Think Miele
                versus GE Monogram)

                > Costs with a kit house likely approximate stick built, so this info
                can be a start. As you
                > noted, do be very aware that land prep can be expensive entirely
                independent of the LV, so
                > factor those into your budget early on.
                >
                > I will share FYI estimates for LV Mini in Maine from GC's proposing
                on our build when in.

                > Separate question: what should I do to keep my posts from oddly
                wrapping?

                Although I am not very far along , ( site work,foundation, septic,
                well ,completed ) , I can see a big difference in where you build.
                Building in the flat lands , is a far different thing than on a
                mountaintop . Had I not been ramrodding the work ,( and doing some
                myself ), the costs could easily get out of hand. The key , to
                building on a budget is , .....don't do anything different, keep it
                simple, go with the standard plans , and , a site that needs little ,
                .......a Indiana cornfield........or , a lot in the suburbs.
                Unfortunately , most folks who want an LV or LVL , tend to be
                creative , and , that drives up the cost, fast !.