Re: [LURlist] That unequal yoke and PRAYER REQUEST

  • Beth Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----

      The concept of an unequal yoke hails back to the OT prohibition of yoking
      two different animals together such as an ox and an ass.

      The context of 2 Cor. 6 mentions several ways to see the classifications of
      the parties involved.

      Fellowship:     righteousness w/ lawlessness?
      Communion:   light w/ darkness?
      Accord:         Christ w/ Belial?
      Part:             believer w/ unbeliever?
      Agreement:   temple of God w/ idols

      It is obvious that any given text has only one meaning, but it may have
      multiple applications.

      I do not see how anyone can miss how marriage is a type of yoking, even the
      most intimate and involved.

      If a yoking together of a Christian w/ a pagan in say a business partnership
      is forbidden by this principle; how much more so the greater bond of a
      marriage?
      Lots of insight here brother Johnny....

      Let me say that nearly 45 years of marriage has made me deeply thankful that I did not marry a denominational person.  Brother Ron's comment about the children of the divided home makes me shiver to think of so many out there whose children never became members or who have fallen away.

      I have one request for the group:  This morning (Indian time) we have a court hearing to see whether or not we have to pay unreasonable taxes (43%) on the property the church owns here in India.  Please pray earnestly about this issue and remember Proverbs 21:1.

      In Him,
      Beth Johnson from Chennai, South India
      Mal 3:16-18
      16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
      17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
      18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

             NOTICE: LURlist messages Copyright 2004.