ALERT!! NEED FOR A COMMUNITY'S UNITED RESPONSE

  • zekeher@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      ***NOTE FROM LULAC147INFONET***
      Why.....why do they hate us so much......is it because we are Latinos???
      I bring your attention to the following excerpt from one of our
      friends........This is in addition to Jack Hood Vaughn's comment, (he
      testified in opposition to Gaddi) that Gaddi had no international
      relations experience and had not even ever been out of the country, "save
      one drunken in Tijuana." direct quote.

      I am forwarding the following message which we received, in addition to
      two of the quick responses from Manny Marroquin and Rusty Kennedy. We are
      awaiting word on the specific individuals, Senate committees where your

      I ask for your help in providing a collective answer to these uncalled
      for words of hate.

      -Zeke Hernandez - LULAC147InfoNet
      President, Santa Ana, CA LULAC #147
      -------------------------------------

      From: Frank Quevedo

      PLEA FOR COMMUNITY UNITED RESPONSE ........SUPPORT FOR GADDI VASQUEZ.

      Let's do what we can to help...what this individual has said, written is
      outrageous....I have known and worked with Gaddi Vasquez for almost
      thirty years, from his days in law enforcement, to his stewardship of the
      Hispanic Educational Endowment Fund to make real the dreams of Latino
      students in Orange County, to his service and tenure as an appointed and
      elected official; he has never turned his back on those in need, or shied
      away from difficult issues that confront society.

      We serve today as colleagues in the private sector.....I can vouch for
      his ability, work ethic, integrity, business and political acumen, and
      judgement in various venues and his engagement and travels outside of
      this country whether on trade missions, as an US government election
      observer, or on other official government, civic and business sponsored
      visits.

      I am a Democrat, he is not; this has never prevented us from working
      together in leadership roles, be it on opening-up access in education
      for Latinos, increased contracting opportunities for minority and female
      small businesses, or to making sure that local and state governmental
      bodies, and agencies were responsive to the needs of all of its stake
      holders, from everyday citizens to those who come here to seek a better
      life. To allow these comments in the article to go without comment is not
      right.

      Gaddi has had and continues to have my full and unqualified support. and
      endorsement.; he is honorable, fiercely independent, earned our respect,
      deserving of our support....
      our community's support.

      ----- Forwarded by Frank J Quevedo

      (This Op-Ed piece that appeared in "The Hill", the newspaper for and
      about the U.S. Congress on December 5, 2001.)

      A flawed choice to head the Peace Corps
      By John Coyne

      The Peace Corps is about to be sacrificed for the first time in 41 years
      on the altar of ethnic
      politics. For an organization whose mission should raise it above the
      political commonplace, what we have here is a process rich in grim irony.

      This sadly bipartisan spectacle, reflecting the ugly underside of how
      political appointments are made by the executive branch and confirmed by
      the Senate, centers on President Bush's nomination of Gaddi Vasquez of
      Orange County, Calif., to serve as Peace Corps director. He is
      unqualified, and worse.

      Normally, the appointment to head this small, independent federal agency,
      with a budget of $275 million and a staff of about 2,000 in the United
      States and overseas, is not the subject of great debate. Since President
      Kennedy chose Sargent Shriver to head the Peace Corps in 1961, every
      nominee has brought some record of either distinction or discernible
      promise to the post, and all were easily confirmed by the Senate. No
      nominee has been tainted by scandal, until Vasquez was plucked out of
      nowhere by the Bush administration.

      In an embarrassing confirmation hearing before the Senate Foreign
      Relations Committee, the nominee had to answer questions as to how, as an
      Orange County supervisor in the mid-1990s, he allowed the county to go
      bankrupt, costing taxpayers $1.7 billion.

      Severely chastised by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Vasquez
      resigned his public post just ahead of a recall campaign and went on to
      serve as a public affairs official at a California public utility that is
      also facing bankruptcy. Abandoning his last public office left him in a
      position to dump $100,000 of leftover campaign funds into the Bush
      presidential campaign.

      Not surprisingly, during the hearing Vasquez displayed a remarkable lack
      of understanding of the Peace Corps, its mission, its history, and how he
      would lead it. It was clear to me, as a former Peace Corps recruiting
      official, that Vasquez would not even make the first cut to serve as a
      volunteer.

      The only possible explanation for such a disgraceful nomination has to be
      Vasquez's membership in a powerful ethnic voting bloc in the
      country's most populous state. To be sure, George W. Bush is not the
      first president to make an ethnically based appointment. But to inflict
      an unfit candidate on the Peace Corps simply because he is a conservative
      Hispanic-American political activist insults the 7,000 volunteers living
      and working in 70 developing countries.

      Perhaps the cruelest slap at the Peace Corps comes not from President
      Bush, but from his Senate Democratic allies in the struggle for the
      Vasquez nomination, Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer of California
      and, incredibly, Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, the only former Peace
      Corps volunteer in the Senate and chairman of the subcommittee that
      oversees Peace Corps affairs.

      One might reasonably expect that the senators from California, which has
      produced more Peace Corps volunteers than any other state, would fight to
      stop this poor nomination. Yet Boxer introduced Vasquez at the hearing
      and, straining hard, listed what they said were his qualifications for
      the job. This transparent political gesture may well backfire;
      Republicans could use the Peace Corps directorship to rehabilitate
      Vasquez politically and then enlist him to run against a Democrat in
      California.

      To the dismay of many of us who served in the Peace Corps, Dodd also
      seems to be playing the ethnic card. Having torpedoed the nomination of
      Reagan-era conservative Otto Reich, a Cuban-American, to serve as
      assistant secretary of state for Latin American
      affairs, Dodd apparently has calculated that he cannot alienate an
      important Democratic constituency, even if it comes at the
      Peace Corps' expense.

      With any luck, someone in the Senate, perhaps Sen. Paul Sarbanes (D-Md.),
      who for years has fought against giving foreign affairs jobs to
      unqualified, big-contributor nominees from both parties, will step in to
      prevent Vasquez from assuming a job for which he is so spectacularly
      ill-suited.

      Perhaps President Bush will then nominate an experienced director who
      reflects the Peace Corps' great legacy of service, and who will be a
      source of pride to volunteers around the world.

      (John Coyne is the editor of www.peacecorpswriters.org and until
      recently was manager of the New York Peace Corps Office. He served as a
      Peace Corps volunteer and associate
      Peace Corps director in Ethiopia during the 1960s.)

      ~~~END~~~

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.