File - LSJListRules.txt

  • LSJ-Campaign@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 1, 2007
      Welcome to the Legends of the Shining Jewel Mailing List.

      This list is for discussion of the LSJ campaign, a continuing role playing campaign played at conventions, gamedays and at homes worldwide. LSJ uses the 3.5E Dungeons & Dragons rules from Wizards of the Coast.

      The LSJ campaign staff do read the list, and can/will contribute clarifications and observations.

      The list is primarily "self-moderated" -- you are responsible for what you post. Keep in mind that the topic of the list is the LSJ campaign (for the 3E D&D Role Playing Game), and stay on topic. There are other lists for the discussion of other Living-style games and you will need to take those discussions elsewhere.

      Due the the unfortunately aggressive nature of spammers, all new subscriptions are set to "moderated" by default. This prevents them from subscribing to send their latest pornography or "too good to be true" deal to all of us and then sneak away. You'll be set to unmoderated status as soon as possible.

      ***********************************
      ** THESE ARE THE RULES **
      ***********************************

      Please read and save this message - you're responsible for abiding by the rules, and there's information here you need. These are basic, common-sense rules of nettiquette and will serve you well on any mailing list. I know it's long, but if you read it all through at least once it will save you a lot of time, grief and trouble.

      * Civility will be maintained on the list at all times. If you can't be courteous and respectful to your fellow participants, you're out of place. Let this be a bastion of civilization in the wilds of the Internet.

      If the moderator perceives your postings to be a problem, you'll be set to moderation - this means that you can still post, but someone gets the chance to review your posts before they go public. We're willing to discuss your case in private email (lsj-coord@...). Moderation is more work, so as soon as it seems you are back to being a good citizen, you'll be set back to posting unmoderated.

      * Read the list for a little while before you jump in. It's always a good idea to see what the natives are up to before you start thrashing around.

      * Read all of your list mail before you respond. It's very likely that someone else has already answered any given question, in the same manner you might have. LSJ-Campaign can be a very busy list - we can't afford the extra traffic, though we do very much want your original contributions.

      * Spoilers - Please do not post specific information that may spoil LSJ scenarios for others. Everything running this year will be available all year, so don't assume everyone has played it.

      * The topic of the list is the LSJ campaign (using the 3.5E D&D Role Playing Game). Again, this is a very busy list, and cannot afford to support off-topic traffic. Some discussion of D&D fandom (the movies, the books, etc.) is allowable, but it must always tie back to the RPG in some way.

      * Only quote the relevant portions of messages you're replying to. A good rule of thumb is to quote less than your contribution. It's kinder to your fellow list-members - they don't need to read the same message over and over and over again. If you can't cut down the quote, then summarize.

      * Don't post in all caps - PEOPLE INTERPRET IT AS SHOUTING, AND FIND IT VERY IRRITATING. (Kinda like that...)

      * .sig files are best kept to 6 lines or less. The long ones get old very fast. Do sign your messages with your name and email address, however, so that people can reply directly to you if they wish.

      * Personal notes should go to individuals, not to a whole list of strangers who don't really need to know your personal business. This includes things like "Good work" or "send me a copy too" or "So, where are you from and how old are you?".

      * Flaming is forbidden, and consistent flaming will get you bounced right off the list. Consider before you mail - would you like to receive the message you're about to send? A little courtesy goes a long way.

      * Trolling is out of place and not appreciated. This will also get you bounced in a hurry. "Trolling" is the practice of posting something completely obnoxious in order to stir up a list and cause argument. If you spot an obvious troll (say, THIS CAMPAIGN SUCKS), your job is to ignore it. Trolls do it for the attention.

      * There will be no pointless debates. Pointless debates are ongoing discussions based upon matters that cannot be resolved objectively. Once everyone has stated their opinion, generally we reach a point of diminishing returns where no one is being convinced and either side devolves to namecalling. These arguments can never be resolved, they lead to hard feelings and flames and are a total waste of everyone's time. The point of diminishing return is, of course, subjective, and we will warn you when it seems like we are getting there and ask that it be wrapped up.

      * Other topics guaranteed to get you in hot water with your fellow listmembers are the various net.hoaxes going around. Good Times is not a virus, it's a hoax. Craig Shergold is in remission and doesn't need or want more postcards. And that <expletive deleted> cookie recipe goes back to the 1920's, when it was a Red Velvet Cake recipe. For your own sake, don't go there. If you come across something of that ilk and feel the list must know, send it to your listowner (LSJ-campaign-owner@yahoogroups.com) and we'll look into it for you.

      * Do not post copyrighted materials. It's okay to quote stats for a single character or item, but do not post lengthy portions from the D&D-RPG books. This list does not exist so that you don't have to buy source books.

      * Please do not post binary files (pictures, word processing documents, things like that) to the list. Put your cool .gif of your character in the "files" area of the Yahoo group.

      * Postings for upcoming conventions should be for conventions that host LSJ events and tell our players which LSJ events are running. We don't mind you mentioning games from other campaigns, but please give us our due. And if your con doesn't have ANY LSJ...please don't use us to promote cons that don't feature our events. Thanks! :-)

      For more information on "nettiquette", point your web browser at:
      http://www.fau.edu/~rinaldi/netiquette.html

      There - that wasn't so bad!

      Failure to abide by the posting guidelines will get you a warning letter and your account set to moderation, so that every piece of mail you send has to wait for me to have time to pass it along. Continued disregard for these simple, courteous requests will probably get you removed altogether.

      Have a great time and good gaming!
      Andrew Hauptman
      lsj-coord@...

      Rev 04/20/2006

      Special thanks to Jae Walker for developing this set of list rules.
    • LSJ-Campaign@yahoogroups.com