OD Report

  • slkrbru
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2006
      The Short Report:
      Hot
      Hilly
      Excellent Crew
      Awesome Pacer
      23.26 hours

      Slightly Longer Report:
      Old Dominion Memorial 100 was my 5th 100 mile run and it was by far
      the best I've felt in a 100, which was a real suprise to me. The
      run started on Sat a.m. at 5:00 in the town of Woodstock, VA in the
      gorgrous Shenandoah mtns. There were 33 runners in the 100 and 34
      in the 50 mile event, so for the first half of the race, there was
      always someone to run with, which made it real enjoyable and quick
      50 miles.

      The first 5.5 miles ran through the town of Woodstock to an aid
      station at the base of the mtn. Another mile and a half to the
      George Washington Forrest sign and official start of the 3 mile
      uphill switchbacky climb to the top of Wood stock Tower road. I was
      able to run up this 3 miles the first time and felt good. I decided
      to run as much as I could early on because it was all going to hurt
      regardless later on so I may as well make sometime while I could. 2
      + miles straight down the other side to an aid station and then 4
      slightly rolling country road miles to Andy Peterson's beautiful
      farm and home to the 16.5, 50, 83.5 mile aid stations. I was lucky
      enough to be crewed by Slacker Team Leader "Miles", Evan, and my
      uncle John and Aunt Becky. Miles was a tough team leader (I swear I
      heard him say "get off your butt and get moving Mom" at the 66 mile
      station) but he helped keep me moving throughout the day as I looked
      forward to seeing him every 16.5 miles.

      From Andy's farm, you turned around and repeated the course back to
      the start finish. We did this 3 times which equaled 6 times up and
      over the mtn and which was a very painful endeavor. That mixed with
      the intense heat out on some of those wide open country roads made
      for some slightly slower times and I believe a number of drops. At
      the 87 mile aid station there were still 18 people out of 33 in the
      race, but we did not see many people after leaving there and think
      the number was closer to 15. Results are not up yet, but will be
      interesting to see what the finish rate was.

      Going through the town of Fort Valley to mile 50 a bluegrass band
      was playing an outdoor concert which you could hear for about a mile
      and was really nice. And coming back down Woodstock tower on the
      2nd time out and back there were a number of hang gliders taking off
      from over our heads which was also cool to see.

      I got in to the 66.5 mile aid station at 7PM and did a full
      wardrobe / shoe change. I had been carrying a handheld water bottle
      all day which really worked nice. I only expected to carry it for
      the first 33 miles and really ended up liking it and carrying for
      the rest of the race. I added my camelbak at mile 66 as I changed
      out of my shorts with the pockets and just used the camelbak to
      carry a spare light and pills. This was a race where you had to
      weigh in at 50 and 83 miles. I had about 8 lbs to spare and wound
      up losing 4 lbs the first 50 but gaining 1 lb back during the next
      23 so that was good. Unlike other 100s where I ran to eat the whole
      way through, the heat really limited what I could comfortably eat
      throughout the day/night. I drank 1 bottle of water between each
      aid station and a coke at each aid station and just ate small amts
      at the aid stations and nothing in between. I saw several people
      out on the course getting sick and was luckily able to avoid this.

      At 66.5 I was happy to pick up pacer Diana W. (MMT 2nd place
      female :-) who was a real pick me up for the final leg of the run.
      Unlike the two other 100s I have been paced for, I was actually able
      to converse with Diana and wasn't reduced to just mumbling and so we
      had some good fun conversations out there. I had one real sleepy
      spell that lasted about 15 minutes before the last aid station which
      is not bad considering my sleepy spells normally last 4 hours in the
      early morning hours. We ran most of the 16.5 miles out to the farm
      and then walked almost the whole way until we got into Woodstock and
      had 4 miles to go and 1.5 hours to break 24 hours. At this point I
      got a major burst of adrennaline when I realized I had covered this
      distance in 40 minutes the first time thru and 50 minutes the 2nd
      time thru so if I just ran we would do it. We didn't run the whole
      last 4 miles, but a lot of it and felt pretty good. I completed the
      run in 2nd place, being passed at the 87 mile mark by Mary and
      traitor (I mean pacer) John Dodds who was wearing Evan's cranberry
      running shorts and LLRC shirt.

      The End
    • Leo Lutz
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2006

[...]

[...]