Re: [LRRClub] A rare event on Sunday: A 1o km road race

  • Trailbuzzard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16 7:35 AM
      Fond memories of the AAC winter series. Great racing with Dale Umberger for the sub-masters title.
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: "carbobob" <blong@...>
      Sender: LRRClub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:57:04 -0000
      To: <LRRClub@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: LRRClub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [LRRClub] A rare event on Sunday: A 1o km road race

      http://www.midatlantictiming.com/resultsdetail.php?did=193

      In Hershey. The old timers here rememember (maybe they can) when 10 k was sort of the the standard road-race distance. You could find one almost every week. The old Adamstown race was a 10k, so was the old Elizabetown race (several courses) the Run for Peace, also in E-town, the Chocolate Chase in Hershey, and the old Appalachian AC also held several 10 k's. But in recent years it's almost disappeared in favor of 5 k's. But there are still some. This was a big event in Hershey, with 1,489 finishers, and a 7 A M start. Wow, almost 1,500 runners for a 7 AM start. The early start was necessary because about a mile and a half of the course ran thru Hersheypark and it had to be before the park opened for the day. It was an interesting course, with no mile markings but kilometer signs, even quarter kilometer signs, (every 250 meters, 4.25 km, 4.50 km, 5.00 km, 5.25 km. . . . ). Good, well organized event.

      What was interesting was there were 570 male finishers and 919 female finishers. Is this representative of road races (what about trail races?) in general or was it just a strange ratio related specifically to the Hershey race?

      Anyway, it was good to have a 10 km back on the schedule. I'd forgotten how hard they can be.

    • AlanK
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16 3:26 PM
      • 342 KB
      I miss the good ole Run for Peace 10K!

[...]

    • Kathi Franco
      Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17 6:19 AM
        alan, my pal Paula and her church brought back the R4P. i will send you the registration when i get it. it is in E Town, at the Etown church of the bretheren

        [Attachment(s) from AlanK included below]

[...]

        Attachment(s) from AlanK
        1 of 1 Photo(s)