Is film critic Roger Ebert promoting libertarian values?

  • willfox23@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2007

      Is film critic Roger Ebert intentionally promoting libertarian values?

      His Sep 28, 2007 review of Kevin Kline’s new film Trade starts:

      “'Trade" is a movie about trade in human beings; in this case, a 13-year-old Mexican girl who is kidnapped and brought to New Jersey, where her virginity will be auctioned on the Internet for an expected $50,000. Chillingly, the movie is based on fact, on an article by Peter Landesman in the New York Times Magazine. And it's not an isolated case. …”

      In Ebert’s penultimate paragraph he concludes:

      “What is fascinating, in a scary way, are the details of the Internet auction business, how it works and the money made in it. When I watch those TV shows where pedophiles are pounced on by cops, I think "entrapment," but you know what? Some people are asking to be entrapped. How about that Florida federal prosecutor just the other day who flew to Michigan hoping to meet a 5-year-old girl? Your rights to do what you want in your sex life run into a dead end, I believe, when they involve someone else doing what they don't want.”

       For the full text see:

      http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/REVIEWS/709270304/-1/email_headlines

      Lionsgate presents a film directed by Marco Kreuzpaintner. Written by Jose Rivera and Peter Landesman. Running time: 119 minutes. Rated R (for disturbing sexual material involving minors, violence including a rape, language and some drug content).