Our Drug War/Policy Strategy

  • razer9echo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2007
      I was thinking about what we could do that would be the most effective
      action to call for in Delaware related to drug policy and had a new
      idea that might just work. We can't really "do" much, but if we want
      to write to the papers etc. on this topic I would suggest we take a
      new strategy (one that is very basic, and uncontroversial, YET would
      be an extremely powerful step forward), one that doesn't involve
      legalizing or or making anything illegal at all...

      All we have to ask for is for the state of Delaware to create a
      comprehensive ranking of the most common drugs (alcohol included) and
      have a scientific board rank them according to harm. Alcohol still
      remains totally unclassified by Delaware, yet it is the most widely
      used recreational drug and contributes to many deaths and DUI's, so I
      think we have a talking point to finally clasify alcohol in some way
      according to its harm, which doesn't make it illegal, but just for the
      purpose of giving a comprehensive relative ranking system of the
      danger of the substance. Why? Because we can't really even talk about
      alcohol relative to other drugs if alcohol is totally EXCLUDED and
      exempt from the ranking system...

      I would stress that it is important to gauge the danger of this drug
      relative to others and to have a comprehensive list of legal drugs to
      inform the public of their danger related to 1. Physical Harm 2.
      Dependence 3. Social harm. Or possibly just rank them according to the
      current schedule I,II,III system if that is easier. No money would
      really be required to do that.

      Lets just finally rank alcohol and get the information out there about
      the danger at the very least. What do you all think?