RE: LPD

  • Timothy Spong
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Jim et al.,

      I wrote:

      Libertarian Delawareans,

      January 2007 Ballot Access News came today (Saturday, 30 Dec. 2006), and
      one of its charts shows that, in Delaware, there are more registered voters
      affiliated with the Working Families Party than with the Libertarian Party.
      However, to my knowledge, there were no WFP candidates in th 2006 Delaware
      General Election. What does anybody know about them? Are they doing a
      stealth registration drive, planning to spring onto some future ballot with
      an impressive registered-affiliate base? I can guess what their platform is
      like and which demographics they appeal to.

      Happy New Year! More liberty in 2007!

      Jim Larsen <nauticon@...> (on Mon, 1 Jan 2007, at 15:26:06 -0800
      (PST)), wrote:

      >Tim
      >
      > I would reply to your latest if you addressed the subject to my
      >nauticon@... address making sure that it is also changed on the LPD
      >list.
      >
      > Jim Larsen

      Tim Spong responds,

      I have addressed this note to Jim's requested e-mail address, but I don't
      have the ability to change it on the LPD list. Will whoever does, see to
      that?

      As for my initial question, it is inoperative. I looked at Ballot Access
      News again, and in fact, the "Other" column on the chart lists 1,551
      affiliated registrants in Delaware in the Independent Party of Delaware,
      with which all of us probably are somewhat familiar, and no separate listing
      for the Working Families Party. The "Other" column was footnoted to list WFP
      registrants in several other states. The number for IPD is a handful more
      than twice the number of registered affiliated Libertarians, who are more
      than either the Green or other minority party(ies) listed. It doesn't list
      Working Families Party registrants in Delaware, except any that may be
      included in "Indp. & misc.," where "Indp." reflects unaffiliated voters,
      rather than members of IPD. But anyone who can post more info about Working
      Families Party is encouraged to do so. Happy nearly new year!

      Tim Spong
      Dover

      From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
      it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/
    • Brian Lintz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        Tim Spong responds,

        >As for my initial question, it is inoperative. I looked at Ballot Access
        >News again, and in fact, the "Other" column on the chart lists 1,551
        >affiliated registrants in Delaware in the Independent Party of Delaware,
        >with which all of us probably are somewhat familiar, and no separate
        listing
        >for the Working Families Party. The "Other" column was footnoted to
        list WFP
        >registrants in several other states. The number for IPD is a handful more
        >than twice the number of registered affiliated Libertarians, who are more
        >than either the Green or other minority party(ies) listed. It doesn't list
        >Working Families Party registrants in Delaware, except any that may be
        >included in "Indp. & misc.," where "Indp." reflects unaffiliated voters,
        >rather than members of IPD. But anyone who can post more info about
        Working
        >Families Party is encouraged to do so. Happy nearly new year!
        >
        >Tim Spong
        >Dover

        Here is their website: http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/

        Just glancing over the site, they seem to try to influence politics
        thru the use of fusion (having one candidate listed under multiple
        parties), which they call open balloting. It's kind of surprising
        they aren't in DE, since we are one of the few states that allows
        fusion. Anyway, they just nominate whoever the Democrat is that's
        running for any particular office to their party, then crow about
        how they "elected" someone to Congress...

        --
        Brian

        Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Thomas Jefferson
      • Timothy Spong
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Thanks, Brian.

          Tim Spong