Let's Hear Your Findings

  • w6aav
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      Okay guys. I have spoke to several friends on the air who have
      purchaed the LP-100 and they all said they were putting out more power
      then what they thought they were. Now for some reason they are so
      tight lipped about just exactly how much more they were putting out
      when over legal limit or not once the LP-100 was placed in line.
      Regardless, they all agreed they were see more then they thought they
      were doing.

      I consider this good so you can bring the power back within legal
      limits where it should be and extend the life of the tubes. So, has
      any else seens differences from what either the amps internal meter
      showed or what another brand meter showed?

      I have an LP-100A on order and can't wait to get it. Any tips and
      recommendations fromyour experences would also be greatly appreciated.

      Will
      W6AAV
    • Jim Cox
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
        Very close to the bar graph on the Alpha 8100, I dont know how accurate theirs is but it is supposed to be calibrated to their high priced wattmeter. Jim K4JAF

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
          > "So, has any else seens differences from what either the amps internal meter
          showed or what another brand meter showed?"

          The LP-100 has the ability to display Forward Power or NetPower (FWD-REF). Increases in line SWR will show more power with the Forward Power mode. This may account for the discrepancies being seen.

          Incidentally, I ran some tests to compare SWR as a function of output power between my LP-100, Array Solutions PowerMaster, and Alpha 4510 wattmeters. All three meters agree when monitoring forward and net forward power. However, only the LP-100 and Alpha 4510 are capable of reading SWR down below five watts. In fact, neither meter changes SWR value down to 100 mW.

          By contrast, my PowerMaster will not display SWR below five watts and SWR at low levels (e.g., ~ 1.3:1 changes substantially between 5 watts and 50 watts. When the other meters read 1.3:1 at 5W, the PowerMaster reads 1.1:1 and approaches 1.3:1 as more power results in higher diode sampling V. This is not a heating issue. Rather, the diode sampling scheme used in the PowerMaster is the reason for the discrepancy.

          Admittedly, this is a fairly small change and most folks using the PowerMaster are probably not too concerned with SWR accuracy at low power levels below 50W, but I bring this up to show just how stable the LP-100 wattmeter is at any power level from 100 mW to beyond 1500W+. I believe this is a critical point that has been neglected in prior discussions.

          Paul, W9AC

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
            There are a number of things that could cause this...

            1) As Paul pointed out, they may have their meter set to Fwd Pwr as
            opposed to the more informative Net Pwr. In this mode, the displayed
            power is actually Fwd + Ref, as would be displayed with a classic meter
            like a Bird.

            2) Because of rig ALC dynamics and amp power supply regulation, most
            setups will deliver more peak power for brief periods than they will
            continuous carrier power. The LP-100 will show this peak power.

            3) If the rig or amp directly feeding the LP-100 has an internal antenna
            tuner, and it's activated, the output Z of the rig will probably no
            longer be 50 ohms. This affects the indicated power a little with any 50
            ohm wattmeter.

            73,
            Larry N8LP

            w6aav wrote:
            > Okay guys. I have spoke to several friends on the air who have
            > purchaed the LP-100 and they all said they were putting out more power
            > then what they thought they were. Now for some reason they are so
            > tight lipped about just exactly how much more they were putting out
            > when over legal limit or not once the LP-100 was placed in line.
            > Regardless, they all agreed they were see more then they thought they
            > were doing.
            >
            > I consider this good so you can bring the power back within legal
            > limits where it should be and extend the life of the tubes. So, has
            > any else seens differences from what either the amps internal meter
            > showed or what another brand meter showed?
            >
            > I have an LP-100A on order and can't wait to get it. Any tips and
            > recommendations fromyour experences would also be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Will
            > W6AAV

            > .

          • Laurent Ferracci
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
              w6aav a écrit :

              > I consider this good so you can bring the power back within legal
              > limits

              It makes me think that it would be great if the LP100A alarm could be
              based on PWR instead of SWR (or both) so that it would trigger when

              --
              Laurent Ferracci, F1JKJ
              Blog radio: http://www.ferracci.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
                I plan to add this in the next firmware release.

                Larry N8LP