Bilbo's Buttons -- from Weta

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
      Get Bilbo's Acorn Buttons from Weta
      http://www.wetanz.com/set-of-5-buttons-of-bilbo-baggins

      "Pretty brass buttons fly from the waistcoat of Bilbo Baggins when he
      must squeeze through a crack to escape the clutches of Gollum. But as
      Bilbo will prove to his doubting Dwarf companions, there is much more to
      this Hobbit than buttons and pocket-handkerchiefs. Bilbo's Brass Button
      is an exquisite replica of the original acorn buttons created by the
      3Foot7 Costume Department for actor Martin Freeman's costume.

      "Each button is manufactured in Wellington, New Zealand - spincast from
      99% pure zinc and electroplated in an antique brass finish and then
      buffed and lacquered. The button diameter is 0.8 in (20mm) and features
      a shank on the back (see image 3) for easy attachment to your waistcoat.
      Just make sure to fasten each button meticulously to avoid losing them
      all when squeezing through tight spots...

      *"PLEASE NOTE:* We do not recommend machine washing or dry cleaning the
      buttons. We have included a small split ring to allow the buttons to be
      made easily removable from your garment."

      $44.95 US for set of 5
      ________________________________

      Personal comment: Note the fine print... they recommend you take them
      off for washing. For almost 10 bucks a button???? They're selling
      buttons for a costume. Are they kidding????

      LARGE SIGH

      -Cat-

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
        Well, I know a fellow- Richard Lanni (on FB) out of Florida who is a very talented brass caster. He makes buttons, buckles and all kinds of awesome stuff for historical reenactors. I'm pretty sure you could have him make you some out of real brass for, well I'd guess about the same, actually~

        Robert

        --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

        > Get Bilbo's Acorn Buttons from Weta
        > http://www.wetanz.com/set-of-5-buttons-of-bilbo-baggins
        >
        > "Pretty brass buttons fly from the waistcoat of Bilbo Baggins when he
        > must squeeze through a crack to escape the clutches of Gollum. But as
        > Bilbo will prove to his doubting Dwarf companions, there is much more to
        > this Hobbit than buttons and pocket-handkerchiefs. Bilbo's Brass Button
        > is an exquisite replica of the original acorn buttons created by the
        > 3Foot7 Costume Department for actor Martin Freeman's costume.
        >
        > "Each button is manufactured in Wellington, New Zealand - spincast from
        > 99% pure zinc and electroplated in an antique brass finish and then
        > buffed and lacquered. The button diameter is 0.8 in (20mm) and features
        > a shank on the back (see image 3) for easy attachment to your waistcoat.
        > Just make sure to fasten each button meticulously to avoid losing them
        > all when squeezing through tight spots...
        >
        > *"PLEASE NOTE:* We do not recommend machine washing or dry cleaning the
        > buttons. We have included a small split ring to allow the buttons to be
        > made easily removable from your garment."
        >
        > $44.95 US for set of 5
        > ________________________________
        >
        > Personal comment: Note the fine print... they recommend you take them
        > off for washing. For almost 10 bucks a button???? They're selling
        > buttons for a costume. Are they kidding????
        >
        > LARGE SIGH
        >
        > -Cat-

      • dblackthistle
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
          Cat, you know I love you and respect you..we have been internet "friends"" for years, but I have to un-lurk and add my two cents here.
          Hope you do not take offense, but I have to support and perhaps explain the $10.00 per button. As a person who, like you, does her share of
          gratis and pro bono work, teaches and mentors for the love of our craft, there is also the side of me that has struggled for years to make a living vending hand made items. Look at the quality of these buttons, figure in the time and cost of materials, the packaging, the labeling. Ned does chain maille, bronze casting and the like, so I am
          aware of the cost and TIME, whether ten minutes or two hours, it is never adequately paid for. Artisans do quality work for much below what a kid at McDonald's gets. If this gentleman makes a $3.00 profit on every set of 5 sold I would be amazed. It is the main complaint and
          fact that all of us live with. Not to mention the time and cost of perfecting the mold and the prototypes to originally create the product.
          As for the warning to take them off. I send garments out with a
          hand wash only suggested very often,(even when I know it is machine washable) as well as remove buttons off simply to cover the hassle of someone who does not read instructions,
          uses a washing machine on one cycle with the wrong detergents, and any other way they can come up with to totally muck up their clothing. I do this because there are always the coffee spillers that complain it stained, or the
          people that say it was hemmed wrong because it dragged in the mud (yes...really, I have had that one) Vending now has become an art form of how to educate the masses. I know you have just as many stories as I do from being in the business as long as we have been.
          Again, forgive me if this sounded rude, but I am just a wee bit of having that type of day here, and when I read this, I just had to add my two cents.
          M.Diana Thompson
          Blackthistle Designs
        • dblackthistle
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
            all right, it pays to lurk as I do not like the taste of my foot. Cat, apologies to you..I just realised you were not speaking of the person who makes the buttons, but were commenting on the company that does...totally different. What said goes for the gent who makes them, and more than deserves the price. I am so humiliated...
            twenty lashes..
            diana
          • Cat Devereaux
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
              >>a dd my two cents here.
              Hope you do not take offense, but I have to support and perhaps explain
              the $10.00 per button

              No worries at all. My issue was with a "fake" brass button for $10 that
              couldn't handle general washing.

              There was a fan who sculpted their own mold and for a while was selling
              copies of what he had made for himself. Yes, it takes equipment and
              skill. And there are costs related to anything that's a small run.

              And yes, some buttons should never be washed, they are too ornate... may
              have painting, may have rhinestones, etc. This button design has none
              of those issues.

              My problem is...if they're going to charge $10 a button... why the heck
              didn't they think to charge $12 or $13 and make it a standard
              functioning button that a Hobbit (and most humans) would find
              practical???? Or make the silly things in plastic and charge $15 for a
              whole card of buttons???? For LOTR both options existed for some of
              the buttons. Folks made a choice.

              Personal opinion... it should be one or the other... I know studios
              don't really respect the costumers. BUT, if they want them to spend
              money on things... it shouldn't just be hand-over-the-money. It should
              be value paid for value. They did it well w/ Arwen's Evenstar. You
              could buy inexpensive plastic at the Halloween store... and pretty it up
              farther if you wanted to... or you could buy the sterling one. Folks
              had an option to pay for what they wanted. This option just seems
              neither fish nor fowl... and an expensive option for the poorer choice.
              (My personal opinion.)

              That all said... we've got what we've got. Does anyone have a link
              for those little "cufflink" type things that allows buttons to be
              attached securely yet removed for washing??? And does anyone have a
              link??? Jump rings aren't going to cut it. So, maybe the group mind
              can help all make the best...

              -Cat-
            • Cat Devereaux
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                On 7/10/2013 10:04 AM, dblackthistle wrote:
                > twenty lashes..
                No, no. No worries. I should have spelled out the issue a bit more
                when I made my snipe.

                One of the reasons we're all drawn to LOTR/Hobbit is the craftsmanship.
                But it's been a while since we did talk about the extra work... and why
                every thing can't be 5 cents.... that it takes lots of work and tools to
                produce art vs. mechanical bits.... that an artist is compensated
                differently from someone who just runs a stamp machine.... we haven't
                talked much about it recently. Reminders are good... regardless of how
                the topic gets started.

                -Cat-
              • Judy Mitchell
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                  On 07/10/2013 03:32 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:
                  > That all said... we've got what we've got. Does anyone have a link
                  > for those little "cufflink" type things that allows buttons to be
                  > attached securely yet removed for washing???

                  do you mean studs? like on a tux?

                  -Judy
                • Cat Devereaux
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
                    On 7/10/2013 5:50 PM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
                    > do you mean studs? like on a tux?
                    No. The button is standard shape. There's a bar and ring thing made
                    for removable buttons. Just can't remember what it's called.

                    -cat-
                  • celefinniel
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
                      Jo-Ann's and some other places stock a safety pin fastener with a bump out for the button shank that may work if the fabric isn't too thick. I use them to attach "medals" to my TOS Klingon costume.