Re: [LR_Cos] Re: Galadriel Water Dress from The Hobbit

  • Sarah Strong
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 2, 2013
      also if you are really busty or curvy, a bias cut dress may not hang
      well on you. I have made several, for various shaped people, and the
      bias looks great on someone willowy like Galadriel, but it's not going
      to work on anyone with more than an a-cup. The kwik-sew or something
      like it should work fine, princess seams are the best for really curvy
      people, but I understand not wanting those lines on this dress.

      On 4/2/2013 10:08 AM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
      > On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Tara x7034 <fsktrinity@...
      > <mailto:fsktrinity%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
      > <<<For the pattern, I was going to use my trusty McCall 4491 pattern and
      > add the custom sleeves and neck. >>>
      >
      > My opinion is, if you're already having concerns about how much you'll
      > dislike visible princess seams on your dress, I'd skip the 4491 pattern.
      > I think you'll have a much easier go of and much better outcome from
      > using a pattern that has one piece cut for the front and two pieces cut
      > for the back, fitted to your waist and then flaring out to the full
      > width of the fabric at the hem for each piece.
      >
      > So, if your fabric is 54" chiffon, and you use a half inch seam
      > allowance, that's 53"x3 which is around 159 inches for the hem, which
      > should be plenty of skirt to emulate the look of the movie dress without
      > tackling bias cut seeing techniques.
      >
      > And if your fabric is 45", then you can add godets I'm the center back,
      > a la Arwens Cranberry Gown.
      >
      > I really think that's the better option because it will be easier to
      > construct, easier to fit, you'll get a more movie accurate look and
      > don't run the risk of finishing the gown and hating that you used a
      > pattern with princess seams.

    • Tara S
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 7, 2013
        You're right, Cate does have the right body for this cut. I think I'm somewhere in between. After much deliberation, frustration (and a few tears) I've decided to continue with the "correct" version of this dress. I went ahead and cut my fabric yesterday and it flows much nicer than the mockup fabric I was using. If it sits as nice on me as it does on the dressform, I'll move forward with it.

        Thanks again for everyone's tips. Every project I do is a learning process and this one is no different. My deadline for this dress is the end of this month so if all goes well, I'll post some pics here.

        To: LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com
        From: sarahstrong13@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 23:09:52 -0400
        Subject: Re: [LR_Cos] Re: Galadriel Water Dress from The Hobbit

        It's also relying on the fact that Cate does not have... huge tracts of

        land... as we say. Which is why a bias cut dress works so well on her,

        the bias drapes easily and skims her figure, there's nothing for it to

        hang up on and get pulled sideways. I made four matching chiffon dresses

        last year for a dance class recital (first I had to find fabric that

        matched the existing four or five dresses!) and there was one dancer

        that I just knew, the bias thing was not going to work for her. I made

        her costume with princess seams and she looked fantastic, and "matched"

        the rest of them from stage. I made narrow french seams in the silk,

        which were inconspicuous and did not interfere with the fluidity of the

        fabric.

        Princess seams will give you more control over the fit of the dress,

        than darts, and the overall look, the fluid drape and flare, will be

        achieved.

        If your fabric is not wide enough for the flare you want, adding gores

        is a great way to do that. Chiffon is a two-way (no-nap) fabric, so you

        can make gores from the wedge-shaped scraps left from cutting out the

        main flared pieces.

        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:28:36 -0400

        Well so far all my mockups are a disaster! If I take in the side seams

        to create any kind of shape, it pulls from the breast diagonally to the

        side waist, even with the side darts in. Perhaps this dress relies on

        the bias cut and stretchy fabric because what I am working with is not

        achieving the same look :( If anyone has made this dress, please let me

        know how you did it!!

        Also, since my fabric is only 45" wide, I cannot make much of a full

        skirt. Should I be using side gores (never used them but have read

        about them)?

        To: LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com

        From: judymitch@...

        Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 10:39:13 -0400

        I don't think the pattern would be too small, just would have

        unsightly

        baggy wrinkles instead of looking smooth (which is the function of

        darts). I think you'll be happier leaving them in.

        Have fun with the mockup! don't forget to post pics.

        -Judy

        On 04/03/2013 10:04 AM, Tara S wrote:

        > Thanks Judy. After reading several tutorials on the matter, I think you may be right and I should just leave the darts. My fabric is not stretchy and I a definitely not an A cup so I think the pattern will be too small across the chest if I start removing the darts.

        > Time for mockups tonight! Thanks to all for your help :)

        Sarah Strong

        sarahstrong13@...