RE: [LR_Cos] Re: Galadriel Water Dress from The Hobbit

  • Tara S
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 2, 2013
      Thanks Daniel! My local fabric shop doesn't carry KwikSew but I can certainly find something similar.

      Have you (or anyone else here!) made this dress? I'd love to see other people's work. :)

      To: LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com
      From: daniel.marcus.sanders@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:43:41 -0400
      Subject: Re: [LR_Cos] Re: Galadriel Water Dress from The Hobbit

      This KwikSew pattern I think would be a good jumping off point:

      http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3160-products-19845.php?page_id=3034

      They don't have front view line art, but I don't think there are bust darts.

      (If there are, I believe the alleycat website has instructions for removing

      bust darts from a pattern fairly easily)

      Just take your mockup in at the waist from the sides AND the back. Not

      just the sides. And then sweep the fabric to the appropriate length and

      use the full width of the fabric.

    • Tara S
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 7, 2013
        You're right, Cate does have the right body for this cut. I think I'm somewhere in between. After much deliberation, frustration (and a few tears) I've decided to continue with the "correct" version of this dress. I went ahead and cut my fabric yesterday and it flows much nicer than the mockup fabric I was using. If it sits as nice on me as it does on the dressform, I'll move forward with it.

        Thanks again for everyone's tips. Every project I do is a learning process and this one is no different. My deadline for this dress is the end of this month so if all goes well, I'll post some pics here.

        To: LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com
        From: sarahstrong13@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 23:09:52 -0400

        It's also relying on the fact that Cate does not have... huge tracts of

        land... as we say. Which is why a bias cut dress works so well on her,

        the bias drapes easily and skims her figure, there's nothing for it to

        hang up on and get pulled sideways. I made four matching chiffon dresses

        last year for a dance class recital (first I had to find fabric that

        matched the existing four or five dresses!) and there was one dancer

        that I just knew, the bias thing was not going to work for her. I made

        her costume with princess seams and she looked fantastic, and "matched"

        the rest of them from stage. I made narrow french seams in the silk,

        which were inconspicuous and did not interfere with the fluidity of the

        fabric.

        Princess seams will give you more control over the fit of the dress,

        than darts, and the overall look, the fluid drape and flare, will be

        achieved.

        If your fabric is not wide enough for the flare you want, adding gores

        is a great way to do that. Chiffon is a two-way (no-nap) fabric, so you

        can make gores from the wedge-shaped scraps left from cutting out the

        main flared pieces.

        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:28:36 -0400

        Well so far all my mockups are a disaster! If I take in the side seams

        to create any kind of shape, it pulls from the breast diagonally to the

        side waist, even with the side darts in. Perhaps this dress relies on

        the bias cut and stretchy fabric because what I am working with is not

        achieving the same look :( If anyone has made this dress, please let me

        know how you did it!!

        Also, since my fabric is only 45" wide, I cannot make much of a full

        skirt. Should I be using side gores (never used them but have read

        about them)?

        To: LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com

        From: judymitch@...

        Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 10:39:13 -0400

        I don't think the pattern would be too small, just would have

        unsightly

        baggy wrinkles instead of looking smooth (which is the function of

        darts). I think you'll be happier leaving them in.

        Have fun with the mockup! don't forget to post pics.

        -Judy

        On 04/03/2013 10:04 AM, Tara S wrote:

        > Thanks Judy. After reading several tutorials on the matter, I think you may be right and I should just leave the darts. My fabric is not stretchy and I a definitely not an A cup so I think the pattern will be too small across the chest if I start removing the darts.

        > Time for mockups tonight! Thanks to all for your help :)

        Sarah Strong

        sarahstrong13@...