Re: [LR_Cos] Fabric for Bilbos robe from The Hobbit

  • Sarah Strong
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 20 6:11 AM
      that's an excellent image. You can see how the smaller patches are
      grouped into blocks or strips across the arm, for instance.

      Ha, I think I'm getting mixed up too, might get drawn into this when
      I'm done with what I'm in the middle of now! :D

      Yes, make the fabric first, then cut the pieces. You obviously don't
      have to make 45" wide yard goods, just sections big enough for each of
      the garment pieces. But you do want to make pieces that are going to
      be adequate to trim out each sleeve, front, etc. Any time you are
      dealing with a multitude of seams across a garment piece (like this, or
      with many rows of pin tucks, or a lot of embroidery that might scrunch
      the fabric up a tiny bit) you always want to have an intact pattern
      piece to use after the many seams are finished, so the final garment
      piece actually matches the pattern piece. This is especially important
      with a truly fitted garment. This is a bathrobe, so the place it's
      going to matter most, is in matching the sleeve cap to the armscye.
      Assuming you have made a muslin (or flannel, or terrycloth....) test of
      your pattern, you want your patchwork to fit the same way.

      Colors and fabrics... here we come to the perennial conversation about
      whether your goal is something that (how exactly?) replicates the
      garment as it hangs in the wardrobe trailer, as it appears on screen,
      or what will look best on you with your particular coloring. For wowing
      everyone at a costume event, maybe 1 or 2. For enjoying at home
      forever, maybe 3rd option is best.

      As I fell asleep imagining myself into this project, I wondered if I
      would go so far as to use Chanel type couture construction like I saw
      in a Threads magazine article... where the lining is basted to the
      fashion fabric up to within an inch or so of the seam lines. The
      fashion fabric is seamed together and then the lining seam allowances
      are tucked in and hand sewn. For a patchwork dressing gown like this,
      it would keep it nice and light, for the underlining to also be the
      lining... maybe a nice charmeuse... mmmmm yum. :)

      Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:51:23 -0000

      I found this image which doesn't show the full length of the garment
      but what it does show is nice and clear. The texture is gorgeous.
      [3]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mec5gsSppg1r8lanyo1_1280.jpg
      I've read through all the messages but am getting mixed up with who is
      making the gown - but are you thinking the best way is to "make your
      fabric first" taking into account the straight cuts of the body length
      finishing on the edge of the fabric, but then cutting out the set in
      sleeves (as it looks like in the photo)?
      I remember first seeing the gown in one of Peter Jackson's video blogs
      - I thought it looked ghastly but they went on to explain that with the
      48frames per second they had to look at colours and patterns
      differently so it would appear "right" on the camera. I am a little
      concerned that mine may just end up a bit ghastly if I don't get the
      colours right!

      --

      Sarah Strong

      sarahstrong13@...

      References

      1. mailto:no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      2. mailto:LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com
      3. http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mec5gsSppg1r8lanyo1_1280.jpg
      5. mailto:?subject=Re%3A%20%5BLR_Cos%5D%20Fabric%20for%20Bilbos%20robe%20from%20The%20Hobbit
      6. mailto:LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BLR_Cos%5D%20Fabric%20for%20Bilbos%20robe%20from%20The%20Hobbit
      12. mailto:LOTR_Costume-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
      13. mailto:LOTR_Costume-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
      15. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      16. mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1

    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 20 8:41 PM
        oh, and while shopping the thrift store for appealing fabrics, don't forget to look at the neckties, some of them might be in good brocades. Old neck ties are also great for piping, like along the edges of the shawl collar and the cuffs.
      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 20 9:31 PM
          On 2/20/2013 8:41 PM, Sarah wrote:
          > oh, and while shopping the thrift store for appealing fabrics, don't
          > forget to look at the neckties, some of them might be in good
          > brocades. Old neck ties are also great for piping, like along the
          > edges of the shawl collar and the cuffs.
          Ties are already on the bias... so you get full use of the length.

          -Cat-
        • girlspurplegreen
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 20 10:35 PM
            WOW Sarah - now I am getting super excited! Need to get some things out the way asap so I can start!
            And great tip about the ties Sarah and Cat - I wouldn't have thought of that. In fact I should check my husband's stash of ties - I may be able to find a sentimental one of his to incorporate into the project. Thank goodness his birthday/father's day is a while off...

          • Sarah Strong
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 21 6:50 AM
              The Threads issue with the Chanel jacket construction article is #121,
              Oct/Nov 2005. Your library may have it if you don't collect the magazine
              yourself. There are probably other couture books with the same info,
              this is just the one that pops into my mind.
              I too am feeling the urge to begin going through the back of my closet
              and local thrift shops and start collecting ingredients. :)