Arwen Chase Outfit

  • Angela Mulberg, Silivrenwolf
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
      I'm very interested in making an outfit like the Arwen Chase Outfit. How complicated is it to create? To those that made it what patterns did you use? Anything different from what the website has listed? Also is there any more info on the horse tack?

      Thanks!
    • john Carlson
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
        Dear Angela,
        I found the chase outfit to be somewhat difficult. I don't know how much sewing you have done, so I don't want to discourage you. If you have someone to assist you I suggest making the bodice pattern on yourself. Use an old t-shirt and duct tape. The Allycat website has directions for this. I used the method for my daughter's chase outfit. Spend extra time getting the collar right. The one I made is OK, but I would have made it a bit fuller. The directions, and pattern diagrams on the LOTR Costume website were really great, and the photos helped too. I also had the action figure as a reference. I used a synthetic suede, but others have used a variety of different materials. The Tai Silks metallic crepe inner sleeve fabric was worth ordering, as it looks like the exact same fabric used in the film. I sourced the ribbon from Hanna Hand Dyed Ribbons. I will post some pictures for you to see.
        Maybe someone else has some images of her horse tack. I use the films too. Freeze framing and sketching from the screen. My daughter wants the tack as well, and I remember some good pics, most likely the above mentioned web-site. Good luck and get sewing. John

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 1, 2012, at 3:23 PM, "Angela Mulberg, Silivrenwolf" <wolfiestuff@...> wrote:

        > I'm very interested in making an outfit like the Arwen Chase Outfit. How complicated is it to create? To those that made it what patterns did you use? Anything different from what the website has listed? Also is there any more info on the horse tack?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
          On 11/1/2012 11:18 PM, john Carlson wrote:
          > I found the chase outfit to be somewhat difficult. I don't know how
          > much sewing you have done, so I don't want to discourage you.
          There's not a direct pattern... It's always better to make a mockup
          first so you can tweak your starting pattern to what you want.
          > If you have someone to assist you I suggest making the bodice pattern
          > on yourself. Use an old t-shirt and duct tape. The Allycat website has
          > directions for this.
          Actually we have the duct tape dummy up on the web. (Use IE to read it
          cleaner).

          Duct Tape pattern is over on F-Costume yahoo group.

          I think someone has tack pictures. They weren't on the site yet..
          (We've on the slow path to conversion w/ the Hobbit getting first focus.)

          Hey... anyone who has photos or is about to do either duct tape dummy or
          duct tape bodice... we'd love photos for when we get to update things.

          -Cat-
        • john Carlson
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
            Thanks Cat,
            I made the chase outfit 6 years ago, and my remembrance of the process is not as clear as yours. I draped and pinned muslin to my daughter, adding duct tape to hold things in place. The collar extension was built onto the neck using duct tape. Seams were drawn onto the lot, and then cut apart to form the panels of the bodice. From the photos it looked like the princess seam came over the shoulder about 1/2 inch above the shoulder point, so made it that way. Photos. I promise. John

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

            > On 11/1/2012 11:18 PM, john Carlson wrote:
            >> I found the chase outfit to be somewhat difficult. I don't know how
            >> much sewing you have done, so I don't want to discourage you.
            > There's not a direct pattern... It's always better to make a mockup
            > first so you can tweak your starting pattern to what you want.
            >> If you have someone to assist you I suggest making the bodice pattern
            >> on yourself. Use an old t-shirt and duct tape. The Allycat website has
            >> directions for this.
            > Actually we have the duct tape dummy up on the web. (Use IE to read it
            > cleaner).
            >
            > Duct Tape pattern is over on F-Costume yahoo group.
            >
            > I think someone has tack pictures. They weren't on the site yet..
            > (We've on the slow path to conversion w/ the Hobbit getting first focus.)
            >

            > Hey... anyone who has photos or is about to do either duct tape dummy or
            > duct tape bodice... we'd love photos for when we get to update things.
            >
            > -Cat-

          • john Carlson
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
              Angela,
              As a side note, the chase outfit I made was just modeled at a Tolkien fashion show and costume presentation in Sacramento two weeks ago, perhaps I can get pics of this event. Another Elven princess wore it, so it was a bit big for her. John

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:18 PM, john Carlson <johncarlson72@...> wrote:

              > Dear Angela,
              > I found the chase outfit to be somewhat difficult. I don't know how much sewing you have done, so I don't want to discourage you. If you have someone to assist you I suggest making the bodice pattern on yourself. Use an old t-shirt and duct tape. The Allycat website has directions for this. I used the method for my daughter's chase outfit. Spend extra time getting the collar right. The one I made is OK, but I would have made it a bit fuller. The directions, and pattern diagrams on the LOTR Costume website were really great, and the photos helped too. I also had the action figure as a reference. I used a synthetic suede, but others have used a variety of different materials. The Tai Silks metallic crepe inner sleeve fabric was worth ordering, as it looks like the exact same fabric used in the film. I sourced the ribbon from Hanna Hand Dyed Ribbons. I will post some pictures for you to see.
              > Maybe someone else has some images of her horse tack. I use the films too. Freeze framing and sketching from the screen. My daughter wants the tack as well, and I remember some good pics, most likely the above mentioned web-site. Good luck and get sewing. John
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Nov 1, 2012, at 3:23 PM, "Angela Mulberg, Silivrenwolf" <wolfiestuff@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I'm very interested in making an outfit like the Arwen Chase Outfit. How complicated is it to create? To those that made it what patterns did you use? Anything different from what the website has listed? Also is there any more info on the horse tack?
              >>
              >> Thanks!

            • jantije
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                There is a Vogue pattern that has a similar shape to the Chase dress. Unfortunately the pattern number doesn't come immediately to mind (my mind's like that...). But it's usually in the back of the evening wear section of their pattern book.

                Jean/Elanor/Jantije (creeping back under her rock now...)

                --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                > On 11/1/2012 11:18 PM, john Carlson wrote:
                > > I found the chase outfit to be somewhat difficult. I don't know how
                > > much sewing you have done, so I don't want to discourage you.
                > There's not a direct pattern... It's always better to make a mockup
                > first so you can tweak your starting pattern to what you want.
                > > If you have someone to assist you I suggest making the bodice pattern
                > > on yourself. Use an old t-shirt and duct tape. The Allycat website has
                > > directions for this.
                > Actually we have the duct tape dummy up on the web. (Use IE to read it
                > cleaner).
                >
                > Duct Tape pattern is over on F-Costume yahoo group.
                >
                > I think someone has tack pictures. They weren't on the site yet..
                > (We've on the slow path to conversion w/ the Hobbit getting first focus.)
                >

                > Hey... anyone who has photos or is about to do either duct tape dummy or
                > duct tape bodice... we'd love photos for when we get to update things.
                >
                > -Cat-

              • Lisa M.
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Hi, Angela

                  I made this dress in 2007. You can check out my pictures here:

                  Let me say that when I started this, I hadn't sewn a thing since my grade 8 home ec class! I bought the simplicity pattern recommended on the Alleycatscratch site and found their instructions on altering it incredibly detailed and helpful! Don't alter your original pattern though; buy lots of tracing paper and do your alterations on that until you get it right, and then test it out on some inexpensive fabric.

                  I had a little help when it came to figuring out the order of construction for the bodice and figuring out the wrapped lower sleeve design, but once I had my pattern finalized, I created the final product all on my own thanks to the instructions here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Chase.htm%c2%a0

                  I just wore my costume to a sci-fi/fantasy convention in Halifax, Nova Scotia last weekend where John Rhys-Davies was a guest! He and his personal assistant Tanya loved it, and I got absolutely tons of compliments on it from so many experienced costumers.

                  So, bottom line is, print all the instructions from the website, buy some cheap material to test on (Google is your friend when it comes to learning sewing techniques like "encased seams" etc.) be patient, and give it a try. If I can do it, anyone can!

                  -Lisa

                • john Carlson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Amazing job on your Chase Coat Lisa! Did you use metallic roller ball pen, paint or embroidery on the upper arms? You are absolutely right about cheap material muslin first. It is the ONLY way to insure that the expensive fashion cloth won't be misscut. I used muslin and duct tape for the pattern drafting, but should have made a muslin to try on so adjustments could be finalized. My daughter grew in the last six years, but perhaps I can get her to pose for a couple of pics. Great Color too. What was your fabric choice? John

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Nov 2, 2012, at 10:55 AM, "Lisa M." <caerdhwynn@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Angela
                    >
                    > I made this dress in 2007. You can check out my pictures here:
                    >
                    > Let me say that when I started this, I hadn't sewn a thing since my grade 8 home ec class! I bought the simplicity pattern recommended on the Alleycatscratch site and found their instructions on altering it incredibly detailed and helpful! Don't alter your original pattern though; buy lots of tracing paper and do your alterations on that until you get it right, and then test it out on some inexpensive fabric.
                    >
                    > I had a little help when it came to figuring out the order of construction for the bodice and figuring out the wrapped lower sleeve design, but once I had my pattern finalized, I created the final product all on my own thanks to the instructions here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Chase.htm
                    >
                    > I just wore my costume to a sci-fi/fantasy convention in Halifax, Nova Scotia last weekend where John Rhys-Davies was a guest! He and his personal assistant Tanya loved it, and I got absolutely tons of compliments on it from so many experienced costumers.
                    >
                    > So, bottom line is, print all the instructions from the website, buy some cheap material to test on (Google is your friend when it comes to learning sewing techniques like "encased seams" etc.) be patient, and give it a try. If I can do it, anyone can!
                    >
                    > -Lisa

                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
                      Thank you, John! I'm glad you like it. I was very pleased (and surprised) that it turned out so well :) I did all my pattern drafting and alterations on tissue paper and probably actually sewed 3 different mockups of the bodice before I was happy with it. The sleeves and skirts were pretty straightforward.

                      My "good" fabric wasn't very expensive at all. It was called a "sueded corduroy", though it doesn't have any visible lines or ridges. I chose it over the darker grey microsuede fabric because I thought the microsuede was too flimsy and wouldn't hang right. My fabric had a bit of a stiffer feel and I'm happy with it, though it does tend to get very warm! The material has a bit of a nap to it and I was worried about how I was going to transfer the sleeve design. I found a pen at Michael's with the fabric paints that turns anything you draw or trace into an iron-on transfer, and it even works on dark-colored fabrics, so that was just what I needed. I used a fine tip brush and painted the design on. The paint came in a small jar and the brand is "Lumiere by Jaquard" in pearl white, which I chose because most silver craft & fabric paint I could find looked more grey to my eye, and this actually looked like a metallic silver.

                      -Lisa

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                        I just want to say thank you to everyone who has responded!! I will look into getting help. I have been checking out the website but sadly almost all the images and a few other things are no longer available since it has been several years since the movie came out. I'll have to go through the movies again too to get some screen shots.

                        Thanks again!

                        --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Mulberg, Silivrenwolf" <wolfiestuff@...> wrote:

                        > I'm very interested in making an outfit like the Arwen Chase Outfit. How complicated is it to create? To those that made it what patterns did you use? Anything different from what the website has listed? Also is there any more info on the horse tack?
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • Cat D
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                          > I have been checking out the website but sadly almost all the images and a few other things are no longer available since it has been several years since the movie came out. I'll have to go through the movies again too to get some screen shots.

                          The image links have aged out. If you ask about certain things you're looking about. Folks are pretty good about knowing the current location for the same photos are.

                          -Cat-
                        • Daniel Sanders
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                            Maggie from www.costumersguide.com was really good about saving Arwen and Eowyn pics. Though I'm sure she didn't get all of them. www.lovelylivtyler.com is also a good source for images.

                            On Nov 5, 2012, at 1:14 AM, "Cat D" <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                            > > I have been checking out the website but sadly almost all the images and a few other things are no longer available since it has been several years since the movie came out. I'll have to go through the movies again too to get some screen shots.
                            > >

                            > The image links have aged out. If you ask about certain things you're looking about. Folks are pretty good about knowing the current location for the same photos are.
                            >
                            > -Cat-

                          • mellymel_hsv
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                              For screen caps from the movies (extended scenes and now the Hobbit trailers as well): http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib.htm

                              Mel

                              >Maggie from www.costumersguide.com was really good about saving Arwen and Eowyn pics. Though I'm sure she didn't get all of them. www.lovelylivtyler.com is also a good source for images.
                              >
                              >On Nov 5, 2012, at 1:14 AM, "Cat D" <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> > I have been checking out the website but sadly almost all the images and a few other things are no longer available since it has been several years since the movie came out. I'll have to go through the movies again too to get some screen shots.
                              >> >

                              >> The image links have aged out. If you ask about certain things you're looking about.  Folks are pretty good about knowing the current location for the same photos are.
                              >>
                              >> -Cat-

                            • john Carlson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                                Thanks for the screen caps link, looks like a great site. John

                                Sent from my iPhone