Re: The Hobbit expands

  • Narnia Girl
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
      Personally, I think it's really stupid. I could almost understand why it needed two movies, but it's the HOBBIT! A simple story. Yes, I know, nothing Tolkien wrote is really simple, but still, it's not as complicated as LOTR. I really don't understand why it has to be 3 movies. Since the story is about a HOBBIT (you know, that guy with the hair and no beard and the feet?) and it revolves around said guy, why and how is the movie going to be 9 hours long? And why does it have to be broken up into 3?

      I really wish I could get really excited about this, but Peter Jackson is just turning me off the films more and more and making me more certain that I want to remake them one day :) .

      --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

      > Jackson has just announced it officially (via his FB page)... The Hobbit
      > will be 3 movies. while I enjoy the movies and am a hardocre fan.. I
      > can't help feel a little exploited.
      >
      > "...So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner
      > Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast
      > and crew of "The Hobbit" films, I'd like to announce that two films will
      > become three."
      >
      > -Judy

    • Maria Padron
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
        For me though it is the happiest news they could have given. I love Lotr, the hobbit, the silmiril...on and on. I wish they could make a movie of all of them.  But that could take years and maybe not in my life time.  Hopefully it would be so but that is a long shot. Just happy to have them.  I think Mr. Jackson did a wonderful job of the last trilogy.  Lets us hope it is with this trilogy.  There is so much Mr. Tolkien omitted, added, or was lost and then found.  He was brilliant! I can't wait for the first one this year.  My grandson (whom is 10) and I will be attending. We are talking about dressing up for the occasion. What or whom, we have not decided yet.  And yes I will make them.

        Maria.

        TwahwahtsilyA (dwah wah Jeeleye) All of us are Family.

        Ka?tshatstA (Ga-stat-stuh-sla) The strength of belief and vision as a people.

        Oneida author unknown.

        ________________________________
        Personally, I think it's really stupid. I could almost understand why it needed two movies, but it's the HOBBIT! A simple story. Yes, I know, nothing Tolkien wrote is really simple, but still, it's not as complicated as LOTR. I really don't understand why it has to be 3 movies. Since the story is about a HOBBIT (you know, that guy with the hair and no beard and the feet?) and it revolves around said guy, why and how is the movie going to be 9 hours long? And why does it have to be broken up into 3?

        I really wish I could get really excited about this, but Peter Jackson is just turning me off the films more and more and making me more certain that I want to remake them one day :) .

        --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

        > Jackson has just announced it officially (via his FB page)... The Hobbit
        > will be 3 movies. while I enjoy the movies and am a hardocre fan.. I
        > can't help feel a little exploited.
        >
        > "...So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner
        > Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast
        > and crew of "The Hobbit" films, I'd like to announce that two films will
        > become three."
        >
        > -Judy

      • Donnam16551
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
          I think what people need to remember is that principal shooting ended in June. The actors have moved on with their lives. I am guessing the decision to make 3 films came in post production when they likely realized they had enough footage for 3. Personally, I would rather see 3 movies than miss entirely a movies worth of footage in order to keep it at 2 films of a reasonable length. Remember the massive amount of complaining that went on because of the length of the first 3 movies? I would give anything to have a chance to see what had to be a huge amount of great stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor. I certainly could be wrong but I'm thinking not (at least for now!)
          Also, people who are making guesses as to where the films break because of what was seen in PJ's 8th blog are forgetting that PJ does not film movies in chronological order. How many interviews have we heard from actors in both sets of films about how difficult it can be to shoot a scene that reacts to an event that has not yet been shot? Quite a few.
          I had the extreme good fortune to spend a day in May on the set of The Hobbit watching the filming. Obviously I can't talk any details but this I can say. I am happily sitting back awaiting films I have no doubt will be brilliant. I am also celebrating the fact that I will get to see a great deal of footage that would otherwise have ended up in the bin. Everyone has a choice they are free to make- if the third movie is something they are against then they can skip it. Me- I'll watch as much as I can.

          Donna

          Personally, I think it's really stupid. I could almost understand why it needed two movies, but it's the HOBBIT! A simple story. Yes, I know, nothing Tolkien wrote is really simple, but still, it's not as complicated as LOTR. I really don't understand why it has to be 3 movies. Since the story is about a HOBBIT (you know, that guy with the hair and no beard and the feet?) and it revolves around said guy, why and how is the movie going to be 9 hours long? And why does it have to be broken up into 3?

          I really wish I could get really excited about this, but Peter Jackson is just turning me off the films more and more and making me more certain that I want to remake them one day :) .

          --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

          > Jackson has just announced it officially (via his FB page)... The Hobbit
          > will be 3 movies. while I enjoy the movies and am a hardocre fan.. I
          > can't help feel a little exploited.
          >
          > "...So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner
          > Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast
          > and crew of "The Hobbit" films, I'd like to announce that two films will
          > become three."
          >
          > -Judy

        • Sarah Strong
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
            I think this is a really good point, and probably correct.