Question about washing costumes?

  • rogue.goddess
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
      Hey, guys! Long time no see! Oldbie here under new address; been absent a really long time. You probably wouldn't remember me; I used to go by Aislinn.

      Anyway!

      My grandmother gave me nearly a whole bolt of some awesome vintage slubby crepe satin for Christmas and I'm planning to use it for an elven dress. I'm going to add some flower beads to it, and I'm planning for the dress to be dry cleaned, but I was wondering, does anyone know if that would damage resin beads? I'm hoping not, because I've found some really cool ones I'd love to use. But I'm afraid of them melting.

      Dana
    • faeriesnowqueen77
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
        Hi There Aislinn (Dana)!

        I have no idea if dry cleaning would harm the fabric. I suggest you contact the dry cleaners before you take it there and see what they say. There may also be info on the internet as to temperatures they can take without degrading.

        Sorry I couldn't help more!

        Faerie

        --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "rogue.goddess" <dana@...> wrote:

        > Hey, guys! Long time no see! Oldbie here under new address; been absent a really long time. You probably wouldn't remember me; I used to go by Aislinn.
        >
        > Anyway!
        >
        > My grandmother gave me nearly a whole bolt of some awesome vintage slubby crepe satin for Christmas and I'm planning to use it for an elven dress. I'm going to add some flower beads to it, and I'm planning for the dress to be dry cleaned, but I was wondering, does anyone know if that would damage resin beads? I'm hoping not, because I've found some really cool ones I'd love to use. But I'm afraid of them melting.
        >
        > Dana

      • mellymel_hsv
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
          Is there any particular reason you want to dry clean it instead of just washing it? Because however you treat the fabric before putting the garment together (prewashing), that's what you can do to the finished piece. Once beaded, I could see not wanting to throw it in the washing machine, but being able to handwash in less than nuclear temperatures might be the way to go for something like this. Maybe wash a sample of the fabric and see how it does? Personally I've never trusted my costumes to a dry cleaner. I'm overprotective like that. ;)

          Good luck!
          Mel

          >Hey, guys! Long time no see! Oldbie here under new address; been absent a really long time. You probably wouldn't remember me; I used to go by Aislinn.
          >
          >Anyway!
          >
          >My grandmother gave me nearly a whole bolt of some awesome vintage slubby crepe satin for Christmas and I'm planning to use it for an elven dress. I'm going to add some flower beads to it, and I'm planning for the dress to be dry cleaned, but I was wondering, does anyone know if that would damage resin beads? I'm hoping not, because I've found some really cool ones I'd love to use. But I'm afraid of them melting.
          >
          >Dana

        • Susan Toker
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
            I tend to just hand wash and hang or flat dry clothing. Most fabrics are
            fine with that and you are far less likely to damage or lose the beads.

            Try a small sample test with beads and fabric to try this out.

            To save on a lot of cleaning, wear a washable long tee shirt/chemise type
            undergarment.

            On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM, faeriesnowqueen77 <
            faeriesnowqueen77@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi There Aislinn (Dana)!
            >
            > I have no idea if dry cleaning would harm the fabric. I suggest you
            > contact the dry cleaners before you take it there and see what they say.
            > There may also be info on the internet as to temperatures they can take
            > without degrading.
            >
            > Sorry I couldn't help more!
            >
            > Faerie
            >
            > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "rogue.goddess" <dana@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey, guys! Long time no see! Oldbie here under new address; been absent
            > a really long time. You probably wouldn't remember me; I used to go by
            > Aislinn.
            > >
            > > Anyway!
            > >
            > > My grandmother gave me nearly a whole bolt of some awesome vintage
            > slubby crepe satin for Christmas and I'm planning to use it for an elven
            > dress. I'm going to add some flower beads to it, and I'm planning for the
            > dress to be dry cleaned, but I was wondering, does anyone know if that
            > would damage resin beads? I'm hoping not, because I've found some really
            > cool ones I'd love to use. But I'm afraid of them melting.
            > >
            > > Dana

          • rogue.goddess
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
              Oh, the fabric wasn't my concern; it's what the process would do to a mixture of resin and glass beads. I suppose hand-washing would be the best option.

              --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "faeriesnowqueen77" <faeriesnowqueen77@...> wrote:

              > Hi There Aislinn (Dana)!
              >
              > I have no idea if dry cleaning would harm the fabric. I suggest you contact the dry cleaners before you take it there and see what they say. There may also be info on the internet as to temperatures they can take without degrading.
              >
              > Sorry I couldn't help more!
              >
              > Faerie

            • rogue.goddess
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                That's a good idea. Of course, I wrote my original post during the wee hours of the morning, which contributed to my not thinking. LOL Hand-washing would, of course, make much more sense. I guess I was just thinking of the fabric itself, assuming it would need to be dry-cleaned. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that it does.

                What detergents or things do you recommend for washing costumes, if it becomes necessary? Woolite? Something else? I've never worked with this fabric before; I've always just used material that can be tossed in the washer.

                Dana

                --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Susan Toker <susantoker@...> wrote:

                > I tend to just hand wash and hang or flat dry clothing. Most fabrics are
                > fine with that and you are far less likely to damage or lose the beads.
                >
                > Try a small sample test with beads and fabric to try this out.
                >
                > To save on a lot of cleaning, wear a washable long tee shirt/chemise type
                > undergarment.

              • Sarah Strong
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                  I'm told woolite is actually kind of harsh, so I use baby shampoo on
                  delicates.
                  It is also possible to wash a large garment (ie, too large for the
                  bathroom sink) in a washing machine, just don't allow it to agitate. Mix
                  the soap and water, stop the cycle, immerse the garment and let it soak
                  for a half hour or so. Advance the cycle to the spin/drain part, and let
                  the water out. Let in fresh water to rinse, and again stop the cycle so
                  it does not agitate. Use the drain-spin again to remove the rinse water.
                  I like to wear rubber gloves when pushing the garment down into the
                  water, but that's me... it can take a while to really express all the
                  air from the fabric.

                  On 2/6/2012 6:50 PM, rogue.goddess wrote:
                  > That's a good idea. Of course, I wrote my original post during the wee
                  > hours of the morning, which contributed to my not thinking. LOL
                  > Hand-washing would, of course, make much more sense. I guess I was just
                  > thinking of the fabric itself, assuming it would need to be dry-cleaned.
                  > Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that it does.
                  >
                  > What detergents or things do you recommend for washing costumes, if it
                  > becomes necessary? Woolite? Something else? I've never worked with this
                  > fabric before; I've always just used material that can be tossed in the
                  > washer.
                  >
                  > Dana

                • mellymel_hsv
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                    I just use standard detergent (I use fragrance & dye free detergents anyway). I've washed all manners of silk including some brocade with metallic fibers in it in my washing machine. The only things I don't wash are things with bullion embroidery or lots of beads and such. Also any fabrics with a crinkle I don't want to use or anything with a significant amount of metallic threads in it (like the metallic organzas that are used in a lot of the elven clothes). If you've got a whole bolt, you've got plenty to experiment with. Test out a few methods and see how it goes. Put a few beads on it, see how they do.

                    Mel

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                  • Kim Gibson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                      Yuck!  Woolite is awful!  I love Orvis paste, a pure chemical soap that you will find in large quantities for an excellent price at seed and feed stores, or in small amounts at higher price at quilt shops, sold as Quilt Soap.  Great stuff, not harsh on anything.  I am a weaver and spinner and use it on wool, silk, cotton, tencel, everything.

                      Warmly,
                      Kim

                      http://www.threadtales.blogspot.com/
                      kgibson1228@....

                      ________________________________
                      That's a good idea. Of course, I wrote my original post during the wee hours of the morning, which contributed to my not thinking. LOL Hand-washing would, of course, make much more sense. I guess I was just thinking of the fabric itself, assuming it would need to be dry-cleaned. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that it does.

                      What detergents or things do you recommend for washing costumes, if it becomes necessary? Woolite? Something else? I've never worked with this fabric before; I've always just used material that can be tossed in the washer.

                      Dana

                      --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Susan Toker <susantoker@...> wrote:

                      > I tend to just hand wash and hang or flat dry clothing. Most fabrics are
                      > fine with that and you are far less likely to damage or lose the beads.
                      >
                      > Try a small sample test with beads and fabric to try this out.
                      >
                      > To save on a lot of cleaning, wear a washable long tee shirt/chemise type
                      > undergarment.

                    • Aly/Cemper
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                        <<I'm told woolite is actually kind of harsh, so I use baby shampoo on
                        delicates.
                         I have found baby shampoo very alkaline as it is manufactured to be the same salinity as tears (thus no more tears-learned this in beauty school in another life). I have found that castel soap works well with delicate garments and you can use a nice oil to scent the garment if you'd like. I use castel soap for just about everything from shampoo to body wash to garment wash. We even use it on our dogs. I do use it for my dedicates when I wash by hand. Castel soap does not lather much since it lacks the chemical ingredient (Sodium Laurel Sulfate) but it works great on my dedicates and you don't need much, just a couple of drops in the water.
                        ~Cemper

                        One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.

                        ________________________________

                      • BeadStorm@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 8, 2012
                          I'm no expert on the fabric, but I am on the beads. Some beads will fade,
                          tarnish, or change color in water, so test your beads before you put a lot
                          of time putting them on your garment. I put small amounts of them onto a
                          towel and then wash the towel in the same detergent/conditions that I would be
                          washing the finished garment. If the beads survive the process unchanged, I
                          can use them on the dress/shirt.

                          - Sandi (Beadstorm)
                          Stormcloud Trading Co_ www.beadstorm.com_ (http://www.beadstorm.com)
                          _www.IsisRising08.com_ (http://www.IsisRising08.com)