Stansborough Fibres - Fellowship gray scarf

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2010
      For those of you starting to Christmas shop... or just want to get you
      hands of some fellowship fabric... I just got a note from Cheryl
      Eldridge, Director \ Designer\Farmer of Stansborough Fibres. There's a
      special sale for November only. (And I've not seen this anywhere else,
      so we may be getting it as breaking news....) Beautiful Scarf....

      So... forward of the message from Cheryl...

      We are launching our Christmas specials in celebration of the making of
      the Hobbit here, a special edition Lord of the Rings Regular Authentic
      Grey Fellowship Cloak scarf in a stylish package, with scroll in the
      script as used in the Lord of the Rings, quoting the passage describing
      this wonderful weave - packed ready to gift - at a special price of
      US$66. This is a must for every LOTR Fan and will be treasured
      hopefully and in perfect timing for Christmas giving and in support of
      Stansborough greys, looms and historic looms and weaving business.
      Every order on line goes into the draw for one Authentic Fellowship
      Cloak also. You just have to note 'Lord of the Rings Promo' in the
      subject box .

      The scarf alone is usually US$73 alone - without the scroll and the
      packaging etc. So this is a special deal and is the size which is most
      popular and in the Authentic grey. There will be a limited number
      available.

      _http://www.stansborough.co.nz/store/lotr-scarf-and-scroll-/product.aspx_

      www.stansborough.co.nz

    • Elizabeth Phillips
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2010
        Just checked out their website.  I love the way they spell Ngila - Nylor.  I want to look into it more thoroughly.

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2010
          >> Just checked out their website. I love the way they spell Ngila -
          Nylor. I want to look into it more thoroughly.

          Well, they do know their sheep at least... beautiful fabrics...

          I noticed the links are messed up.... so here's it again, fixed...
          http://www.stansborough.co.nz/store/lotr-scarf-and-scroll-/product.aspx

          (So wish wool didn't give me such hives.)

          -Cat-
        • Cat Devereaux
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2010
            Looks like Stansborough Fibres is really busy with their holiday plan....

            Just got two new bits of information.

            For those of you that knit. Stanborough has occasionally been producing
            yarns that you DIYers can use to create your own knit and couchette
            creations. Well it's that time again. Even if you're just thinking
            about it, take a moment to drop them a line for more details. (Sorry, I
            don't have any pricing info).

            Here's their yarn announcement:
            We are finally looking at getting a run of our New 8 Ply
            Knitting Yarn done - but first we would like to know the level of interest
            out there. If you or someone you know maybe interested in pre-ordering
            some yarn please contact us on info at stansborough.co.nz

            Also, they did have some weaving yarn, but I don't see it currently on
            their website. Check w/ them for details and to see if they've got a
            spool or two left.

            And fun for anyone who's picking something up with them this month...
            "now and December 1st will go into the draw to Win your very own LOTR
            Fellowship Cloak!"

            For those lucky enough to be in New Zealand, on December 7, they've also
            got a special invite for an on-site sale. (Hey, I can dream can't I,
            and I know some folks are there.)

            www.stansborough.co.nz

            Folks, going to guess that they're not the only LOTR craftsman that are
            going to be looking over their stock and resources and setting up deals
            for the holidays for LOTR fans. If you hear of any others.... please
            send the details to me off-list for approvals. (Ya know how grumpy we
            get otherwise. ;-) )

            While I won't forward every add for costume-in-the-bag, I certainly want
            to continue our tradition of support for the craftsmen and artisans from
            the films and for finding goodies for our list readers. The dollar is
            tight right now, so figure this make a public service to connect those
            who love Tolkien and those folks helping to bring us even more Tolkien
            treasures.
          • Elenlosse
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 3, 2010
              I had purchased a scarf from Stansborough when I was on a visit to NZ.  Also
              just put a deposit towards my travel there again for 2010 Premiere.  :)

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 18, 2010
                Saw the original post on the scarves..and had to have one. Just got it the other day. The fabric is SOOOO different looking in person!! No pictures I've found in reference photos do it justice.

                We've been fashioning cloaks from local store bought grey wool...ain't the same at all!! Night and day.

                So I haven't told my wife yet, but I've been working with Kiri (at Stansborough) and now have 20yds of the fabric in the weaving pipeline <sheepish grin>.

                Stansborough doesn't list this fabric on their website, but I inquired. Kiri says they have fabric available for those interested and to pass the info along. So dig out the credit cards and hock the children's education...ya only live once <wicked grin>.

                The contact info for Stansborough is on the website mentioned earlier in this thread.

                Now I'm off back to working on chain maille...gonna need it when the wife finds out what I did!! <why did I ever buy her a sword??>

                Jesse

                --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Elenlosse <ladyarweneundomiel@...> wrote:

                > I had purchased a scarf from Stansborough when I was on a visit to NZ.  Also
                > just put a deposit towards my travel there again for 2010 Premiere.  :)

              • Cat Devereaux
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 18, 2010
                  >>Saw the original post on the scarves..and had to have one. Just got
                  it the other day.

                  I believe I did label the post dangerous, or at least tempting.

                  >>The fabric is SOOOO different looking in person!! No pictures I've
                  found in reference photos do it justice.

                  Yes, really different. Once you see it... (and for those who don't have
                  my allergies) even greater to feel.

                  >> ... but I've been working with Kiri (at Stansborough) and now have
                  20yds of the fabric in the weaving pipeline <sheepish grin>.

                  Wow! That's going to be quite a set of hobbits and elves you'll be
                  doing cloak for. But, sounds like a great Christmas present for yourselves.

                  >> Stansborough doesn't list this fabric on their website, but I
                  inquired. Kiri says they have fabric available for those interested and
                  to pass the info along.

                  We've been trying to really impress on them that costumers are
                  fabric-hollics and some, when they have a chance, want to go exact...
                  and Stansborough has so many temptations, and not just for the LOTR movie.

                  >> So dig out the credit cards and hock the children's education...ya
                  only live once <wicked grin>.

                  I'm imagining you rolling around in a pile of the fabric, all pooled in
                  your living room.

                  The contact info for Stansborough is on the website mentioned earlier in
                  this thread.

                  >> Now I'm off back to working on chain maille...

                  Remember, we want pictures of both!!!!

                  >>> gonna need it when the wife finds out what I did!! <why did I ever
                  buy her a sword??>

                  Good luck!

                  -Cat-
                • Mickey Haugh
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 18, 2010
                    Does anyone know if they are going to produce the green fellowship fabric? I have a fellowship cloak from Standborough but it's the grey color...

                    Mickey
                  • Cat Devereaux
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 18, 2010
                      >> Does anyone know if they are going to produce the green fellowship
                      fabric? I have a fellowship cloak from Standborough but it's the grey
                      color...

                      The fabric is un-dyed... the color of their very rare sheep. The
                      "Green" color is from the "color grading" of the film. The silver-grey
                      of the fabric does pick up a bit lf the light around it (it's amazing
                      fabric).

                      -Cat-
                    • Furqueron
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 18, 2010
                        Hi Cat,

                        Careful what you ask for :-) Longish email ensues :-)

                        I was packing the camera for TRF so took a few snapshots and uploaded them into Ranger of the North. There's three shots of the Stansborough fabric next to the local "common grey"...just saw another post about "green"...this is anything but green dark grey and some light fibers to highlight the weave...gorgeous stuff as you can see...hopefully the contrasts show up well. Will post pictures when the cloaks are complete...and maybe take the time to write a short start-to-finish how-to for 'em...I certainly owe you back for all the info and inspirations I've gotten from your site over the years.

                        Also posted some photos of my costume...be kind with comments :-) It's my first costuming effort...

                        This is a Ranger costume that borrows heavily from Aragorn. Some of it is just..well..made up :-) so it's certainly not "canon" nor meant to be. I was always disappointed there weren't more Rangers of the North in the books...

                        Learned the leather work and the leather sewing, patterns, yada yada to make this. There are several purchased items...the boots I designed the pattern (Mallorn with scroll work from Legolas' knives) and had them made by Catskill Mountain Moccasins. They fit like socks...wonderful! The shirt in this photo is a Lady Dra shirt, I normally wear a dark green one of hers but it wasn't on the stuffed-version of myself :-) (idea & plans for the latter from AlleyCatScratch). The sword was made by the late Jody Samson and the knife was custom made for me by Chris over in Atlanta from an 1800's buggy spring. The jerkin, belts, both scabbards, suspension system, sporan, bracer are homemade from dreamed up patterns and inspirations from the web. If you look real close, the pattern in the Celtic Lion's Head belt is from the trim of one of King Theoden's outfits.

                        As for my next project, on the table is the chain maille (aluminum)...I'm making a duster and the right arm, instead of leather armored, will have chain maille...all the links are homemade from aluminum electric fence wire and handlinked...they're sitting on what will be the mounting system to the sleeve.

                        The duster pattern I got from Lady Anoria...but have heavily modified it for fit and also design as all of the lines in her pattern are straight..and some on the movie duster are at angles (across the front for example). Also, the collar in her pattern is not correct to the movie...on looking at some extremely enlarged pics, the collar appears to my evaluation at least, to be two pieces...one outside and one inside with the sewing seam at the top of the collar...if anyone has a thought on this I'm interested.

                        The costume has not been "aged" & "weathered" yet...will do that when the duster is complete, hopefully the duster will be ready ready to wear next Friday at TRF.

                        The costume has been worn as it was developed for three seasons of Renn Faires with no wardrobe malfunctions. So it really works and it really holds up.

                        Our next major projects are a grey shirt (if I can figure out how to do the shoulders...read a lot of things, but haven't worked through it yet) and...... the piece de' resistance' the King of Pirates costume for my wife. Yes, I've learned to embroidery..and yes...I'm buying one of those expensive machines!! Programming is far easier :-) and much much faster

                        If any of ya'll are down at TRF this Sunday or next Friday and see a very longhaired (mostly grey now) person with a moustache and goatee wearing the outfit...do say "Hi!" :-)

                        slancha! and Oidhche mhath...

                        Jesse

                        --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                        > >>Saw the original post on the scarves..and had to have one. Just got
                        > it the other day.
                        >
                        > I believe I did label the post dangerous, or at least tempting.
                        >
                        > >>The fabric is SOOOO different looking in person!! No pictures I've
                        > found in reference photos do it justice.
                        >
                        > Yes, really different. Once you see it... (and for those who don't have
                        > my allergies) even greater to feel.
                        >
                        > >> ... but I've been working with Kiri (at Stansborough) and now have
                        > 20yds of the fabric in the weaving pipeline <sheepish grin>.
                        >
                        > Wow! That's going to be quite a set of hobbits and elves you'll be
                        > doing cloak for. But, sounds like a great Christmas present for yourselves.
                        >
                        > >> Stansborough doesn't list this fabric on their website, but I
                        > inquired. Kiri says they have fabric available for those interested and
                        > to pass the info along.
                        >
                        > We've been trying to really impress on them that costumers are
                        > fabric-hollics and some, when they have a chance, want to go exact...
                        > and Stansborough has so many temptations, and not just for the LOTR movie.
                        >
                        > >> So dig out the credit cards and hock the children's education...ya
                        > only live once <wicked grin>.
                        >
                        > I'm imagining you rolling around in a pile of the fabric, all pooled in
                        > your living room.
                        >
                        > The contact info for Stansborough is on the website mentioned earlier in
                        > this thread.
                        >
                        > >> Now I'm off back to working on chain maille...
                        >
                        > Remember, we want pictures of both!!!!

                        > buy her a sword??>
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        >
                        > -Cat-

                      • Cat Devereaux
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 18, 2010
                          >> Careful what you ask for :-) Longish email ensues :-)

                          That's how the website went from a few links to 1500 pages and a 501c3.
                          It's contagious.

                          >> so took a few snapshots

                          Thanks for sharing w/ everyone especially while packing.

                          >>Will post pictures when the cloaks are complete...and maybe take the
                          time to write a short start-to-finish how-to for 'em.

                          Great. Eventually you'll be able to post up wiki-pedia style entries...
                          eventually....

                          >> Some of it is just..well..made up :-) so it's certainly not "canon"
                          nor meant to be.

                          Ah... we don't do cannon around here. We encourage folks to be exact if
                          they want or to make modification so the costume looks best / works
                          best for them. Everything from tall hobbits (just don't ask them what
                          their grandmother did after a bit too many pints)... to color choices
                          that work well for your skin vs the "real" color or the "movie" color.
                          All we do in encourage to know what you "nailed" and where you choose
                          to change it... for budget, for time, for story, for self... we're more
                          concerned about the creativity and the project.

                          >> The duster pattern ... have heavily modified it for fit and also
                          design as all of the lines in her pattern are straight..and some on the
                          movie duster are at angles

                          >> a grey shirt (if I can figure out how to do the shoulders...read a
                          lot of things, but haven't worked through it yet)

                          We didn't finish study on the smocking... recognize what it is... but
                          that's a stall out point when I started getting sick all the time.
                          So... if you (and others around) want to activate research group or
                          main topics here.... feel free... and keep your notes.

                          (Yes, truncated out lots of the rest of the things. Sounds lucious....
                          much costuming. And thanks so much for sharing all the bits.)

                          -Cat-
                        • Judy Mitchell
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 19, 2010
                            On 11/19/2010 02:49 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:
                            > Ah... we don't do cannon around here.

                            well... we DO do canon around here sometimes, but we ALSO encourage
                            creativity - so being as 'exact' or not as you wish to be is great!

                            Jesse, you're outfit sounds wonderful! Your wife is very lucky and I"m
                            very jealous about all that wool! <g>

                            -Judy
                          • Furqueron
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 19, 2010
                              Thanks Cat/Judy,

                              Having used the site for reference for quite some time and being more of a lurker, felt good to be able to upload some photos and to share some of our projects.

                              Since we wear our costumes so often, one of our main focus has been on "reliability"...I have a propensity for learning (anal engineer)so a lot of what attract my attention is researching historical accuracy on items such as rabbit fur lining the sword scabbard (you'd never get a metal sound drawing a sword like in the movies) or the 3 point harness system that allows better stability whilst walking (end of scabbard not "spanking" you or others around you all day). Take that and combine it with the love of fantasy and the creative part gets the juices going. Working everyday in high tech on things people never "see" it's nice to get the hands into something that's "visible".

                              Have to hit the road for the holidays...

                              Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

                              Jesse

                              --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                              > >> Careful what you ask for :-) Longish email ensues :-)
                              >
                              > That's how the website went from a few links to 1500 pages and a 501c3.
                              > It's contagious.
                              >
                              > >> so took a few snapshots
                              >
                              > Thanks for sharing w/ everyone especially while packing.
                              >
                              > >>Will post pictures when the cloaks are complete...and maybe take the
                              > time to write a short start-to-finish how-to for 'em.
                              >
                              > Great. Eventually you'll be able to post up wiki-pedia style entries...
                              > eventually....
                              >
                              > >> Some of it is just..well..made up :-) so it's certainly not "canon"
                              > nor meant to be.
                              >
                              > Ah... we don't do cannon around here. We encourage folks to be exact if
                              > they want or to make modification so the costume looks best / works
                              > best for them. Everything from tall hobbits (just don't ask them what
                              > their grandmother did after a bit too many pints)... to color choices
                              > that work well for your skin vs the "real" color or the "movie" color.
                              > All we do in encourage to know what you "nailed" and where you choose
                              > to change it... for budget, for time, for story, for self... we're more
                              > concerned about the creativity and the project.
                              >
                              > >> The duster pattern ... have heavily modified it for fit and also
                              > design as all of the lines in her pattern are straight..and some on the
                              > movie duster are at angles
                              >
                              > >> a grey shirt (if I can figure out how to do the shoulders...read a
                              > lot of things, but haven't worked through it yet)
                              >
                              > We didn't finish study on the smocking... recognize what it is... but
                              > that's a stall out point when I started getting sick all the time.
                              > So... if you (and others around) want to activate research group or
                              > main topics here.... feel free... and keep your notes.
                              >
                              > (Yes, truncated out lots of the rest of the things. Sounds lucious....
                              > much costuming. And thanks so much for sharing all the bits.)
                              >
                              > -Cat-

                            • jantije
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 19, 2010
                                You are such an enabler, Cat! That's it - feed our addictions even more! I have been trying SOOO hard to resist ordering the scarf. Looks wonderful. Trying to decide if I could convince my maternal unit that it'd make a great Christmas present, but not sure what her reaction would be to paying that much for a scarf... Sigh...

                                Need to do a serious purge of the basement stash to sell at the SCA kingdom's Xmas market next month. Neeeeed money...

                                Jean/Eleanor/Jantije

                                --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                                > >>Saw the original post on the scarves..and had to have one. Just got
                                > it the other day.
                                >
                                > I believe I did label the post dangerous, or at least tempting.
                                >
                                > >>The fabric is SOOOO different looking in person!! No pictures I've
                                > found in reference photos do it justice.
                                >
                                > Yes, really different. Once you see it... (and for those who don't have
                                > my allergies) even greater to feel.
                                >
                                > >> ... but I've been working with Kiri (at Stansborough) and now have
                                > 20yds of the fabric in the weaving pipeline <sheepish grin>.
                                >
                                > Wow! That's going to be quite a set of hobbits and elves you'll be
                                > doing cloak for. But, sounds like a great Christmas present for yourselves.
                                >
                                > >> Stansborough doesn't list this fabric on their website, but I
                                > inquired. Kiri says they have fabric available for those interested and
                                > to pass the info along.
                                >
                                > We've been trying to really impress on them that costumers are
                                > fabric-hollics and some, when they have a chance, want to go exact...
                                > and Stansborough has so many temptations, and not just for the LOTR movie.
                                >
                                > >> So dig out the credit cards and hock the children's education...ya
                                > only live once <wicked grin>.
                                >
                                > I'm imagining you rolling around in a pile of the fabric, all pooled in
                                > your living room.
                                >
                                > The contact info for Stansborough is on the website mentioned earlier in
                                > this thread.
                                >
                                > >> Now I'm off back to working on chain maille...
                                >
                                > Remember, we want pictures of both!!!!

                                > buy her a sword??>
                                >
                                > Good luck!
                                >
                                > -Cat-

                              • Judy Mitchell
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 19, 2010
                                  Hey, I've got both birthday AND Christmas coming up - and yes I did
                                  forward it to my spousal unit for an idea. whether or not it will
                                  <cough> materialize remains to be seen. I've also been pushing for a
                                  kindle and they're both kinda pricey.

                                  -Judy

                                  On 11/19/2010 01:21 PM, jantije wrote:
                                  > You are such an enabler, Cat! That's it - feed our addictions even more! I have been trying SOOO hard to resist ordering the scarf. Looks wonderful. Trying to decide if I could convince my maternal unit that it'd make a great Christmas present, but not sure what her reaction would be to paying that much for a scarf... Sigh...
                                  >
                                  > Need to do a serious purge of the basement stash to sell at the SCA kingdom's Xmas market next month. Neeeeed money...
                                  >
                                  > Jean/Eleanor/Jantije

                                • Mirimaran
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 21, 2010
                                    Your kit and gear are outstanding!

                                    Mirimaran

                                    --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Furqueron" <furqueron@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks Cat/Judy,
                                    >
                                    > Having used the site for reference for quite some time and being more of a lurker, felt good to be able to upload some photos and to share some of our projects.
                                    >
                                    > Since we wear our costumes so often, one of our main focus has been on "reliability"...I have a propensity for learning (anal engineer)so a lot of what attract my attention is researching historical accuracy on items such as rabbit fur lining the sword scabbard (you'd never get a metal sound drawing a sword like in the movies) or the 3 point harness system that allows better stability whilst walking (end of scabbard not "spanking" you or others around you all day). Take that and combine it with the love of fantasy and the creative part gets the juices going. Working everyday in high tech on things people never "see" it's nice to get the hands into something that's "visible".
                                    >
                                    > Have to hit the road for the holidays...
                                    >
                                    > Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
                                    >
                                    > Jesse

                                    > > That's how the website went from a few links to 1500 pages and a 501c3.
                                    > > It's contagious.

                                    > > Thanks for sharing w/ everyone especially while packing.

                                    > > time to write a short start-to-finish how-to for 'em.
                                    > >
                                    > > Great. Eventually you'll be able to post up wiki-pedia style entries...
                                    > > eventually....

                                    > > nor meant to be.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ah... we don't do cannon around here. We encourage folks to be exact if
                                    > > they want or to make modification so the costume looks best / works
                                    > > best for them. Everything from tall hobbits (just don't ask them what
                                    > > their grandmother did after a bit too many pints)... to color choices
                                    > > that work well for your skin vs the "real" color or the "movie" color.
                                    > > All we do in encourage to know what you "nailed" and where you choose
                                    > > to change it... for budget, for time, for story, for self... we're more
                                    > > concerned about the creativity and the project.

                                    > > design as all of the lines in her pattern are straight..and some on the
                                    > > movie duster are at angles

                                    > > lot of things, but haven't worked through it yet)
                                    > >
                                    > > We didn't finish study on the smocking... recognize what it is... but
                                    > > that's a stall out point when I started getting sick all the time.
                                    > > So... if you (and others around) want to activate research group or
                                    > > main topics here.... feel free... and keep your notes.
                                    > >
                                    > > (Yes, truncated out lots of the rest of the things. Sounds lucious....
                                    > > much costuming. And thanks so much for sharing all the bits.)
                                    > >
                                    > > -Cat-

                                  • Furqueron
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 23, 2010
                                      Why thank you Mirimaran <sheepish grin>, you made my day :-)

                                      Jesse

                                      --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mirimaran" <freerangecelt@...> wrote:

                                      > Your kit and gear are outstanding!
                                      >
                                      > Mirimaran
                                      >
                                      > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Furqueron" <furqueron@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks Cat/Judy,
                                      > >
                                      > > Having used the site for reference for quite some time and being more of a lurker, felt good to be able to upload some photos and to share some of our projects.
                                      > >
                                      > > Since we wear our costumes so often, one of our main focus has been on "reliability"...I have a propensity for learning (anal engineer)so a lot of what attract my attention is researching historical accuracy on items such as rabbit fur lining the sword scabbard (you'd never get a metal sound drawing a sword like in the movies) or the 3 point harness system that allows better stability whilst walking (end of scabbard not "spanking" you or others around you all day). Take that and combine it with the love of fantasy and the creative part gets the juices going. Working everyday in high tech on things people never "see" it's nice to get the hands into something that's "visible".
                                      > >
                                      > > Have to hit the road for the holidays...
                                      > >
                                      > > Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
                                      > >
                                      > > Jesse

                                      > > > That's how the website went from a few links to 1500 pages and a 501c3.
                                      > > > It's contagious.

                                      > > > Thanks for sharing w/ everyone especially while packing.

                                      > > > time to write a short start-to-finish how-to for 'em.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Great. Eventually you'll be able to post up wiki-pedia style entries...
                                      > > > eventually....

                                      > > > nor meant to be.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Ah... we don't do cannon around here. We encourage folks to be exact if
                                      > > > they want or to make modification so the costume looks best / works
                                      > > > best for them. Everything from tall hobbits (just don't ask them what
                                      > > > their grandmother did after a bit too many pints)... to color choices
                                      > > > that work well for your skin vs the "real" color or the "movie" color.
                                      > > > All we do in encourage to know what you "nailed" and where you choose
                                      > > > to change it... for budget, for time, for story, for self... we're more
                                      > > > concerned about the creativity and the project.

                                      > > > design as all of the lines in her pattern are straight..and some on the
                                      > > > movie duster are at angles

                                      > > > lot of things, but haven't worked through it yet)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > We didn't finish study on the smocking... recognize what it is... but
                                      > > > that's a stall out point when I started getting sick all the time.
                                      > > > So... if you (and others around) want to activate research group or
                                      > > > main topics here.... feel free... and keep your notes.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > (Yes, truncated out lots of the rest of the things. Sounds lucious....
                                      > > > much costuming. And thanks so much for sharing all the bits.)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > -Cat-

                                    • Furqueron
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                        Hi All,

                                        Spent 6 days solid of pattern altering, cutting, sewing, lacing, general head scratching and sore finger/thumb nursing on the duster. Got it 97% complete for TRF.

                                        As luck would have it, was warm all week this year at TRF...then like magic it turned cold for Saturday and the Duster was done and "on" just in time :-). Ran out of "gas" and didn't have time to finish adding the chain maille on right sleeve. Will work on that over the next few weeks.

                                        Uploaded some new photos into Ranger of the North album. They show in progress and some "finished" shots of the duster with my 12 yr old son modeling it.

                                        BTW, for color, the grey look is not correct...used the built in flash rather than the good flash and color didn't come off right...the photo showing the underside of the sleeves that is green is correct color.

                                        If you use Anoria's pattern as a basis for the duster...watch the sleeve and shoulder area if you wear a jerkin...I altered the lay of the shoulder and body joint to fit over my jerkin..the altered shape caused the the original sleeve/shoulder joint shape to be entirely different on the underside. Come to think of it the entire muslin and final product were altered so much, if you lay them over the original patterns...about 5% matches up.

                                        I'm really really glad I took the time to make a duct tape manikin (sp?) as described on alleycatscratch. Got a much better overall fit in the end. Not to mention the boys liked wrapping ol dad up in duct tape ;-) If you do a manikin from duct tape and you wrap your arms like I did...be sure to leave extra room around the elbow...there's not much meat in that area and getting a scissors down in there to cut the duct tape in that area can be almost impossible and certainly PAINFUL (DON'T ask me how I know!!!). Also, I left the armpit entirely unwrapped and only connect the "arms" at the "shoulder" with duct tape.

                                        While I was working on the duster, my wife sewed up two cloaks using the patterns from alleycatscratch site. Some of the instructions were a bit confusing so I did what every red blooded guy does...I let my wife figure it out. The biggest adjustment to the pattern itself we made was leaving 1.5" in front to allow for finished seam. Don't recall that the pattern posted allowed for this. The fabric used was locally obtained suiting wool not the Standborough wool as it has not arrived (knew it wouldn't arrive in time since it has to be woven and shipped). Will need to look at a way of reinforcing the front of the hood joins the neck of cape...taking on and off took it's toll on the stitching in this area. The Viking we used does a "finish" stitch...but it didn't hold up well at all. We reinforced the area where the latch hooks attached in the front with a heavy canvas backing and had NO problems or sign of tear out. The real trick in that area is watch and plan where the latches/catches are attached...especially if you wear the brooches as the boys did...too wide apart and I'd be concerned the brooch would bear too much strain.
                                        <proofreading note: just found a photo...I'll scan and post in the directory>.

                                        Both of my boys were quite happy to have the cloaks as it got down into the low 40s while watching the fireworks Saturday night. "Snuggly warm" they said...I didn't know as my cloak didn't get finished in time :-( so my answer was to have one sit on either side of me...REAL close :-)

                                        We had a lot of trouble fitting the hoods. Followed the pattern/instructions for the muslin and just wouldn't work...measure measure measure and measure again...finally we got close and dup'd it for both cloaks though the cloak body lengths were different. Also, if you make these for kids, we DO NOT recommend sizing down the length of the hood as we did at first...only size down the neck circumference... otherwise we found it wouldn't lay right when the hood was up...too short and looked like a sleestak tail (original Land of Lost series)...so we kept the length at about 30".

                                        Did it look right with the hood up in the end with this scheme? Well on the way out of TRF late at night, we got about 8 or so comments on how much the the 8 yr old looked JUST like a real hobbit walking in the night (but with shoes on) and how the 12 yr old would pass for a dwarf (much to his delight! he loves dwarves ... its a Warhammer thing)accompanying a hobbit (he's a little tall for a dwarf..5'5"...but the relationship in height was just right).

                                        I'll post some pics of them modeling the cloaks soon.

                                        Jesse

                                      • Cat Devereaux
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                          Please keep track of your notes... for when we get the software
                                          straightened out.

                                          Look at these as "muslin" test for the real stuff.

                                          For the neck stretching out. Put some seam binding on the underside
                                          before you turn it over. Or at least some cord.

                                          For fastening. An old SCA trick is to stitch on a skirt hook, or
                                          hooks. Then put a fancy, but not sturdy broach over the area so it
                                          looks like the cool piece is actually supporting the fastening.... and
                                          the pin stays better in place.

                                          If that piece where you're pinning is stretching out... Iron on some
                                          craft weight interfacing to a piece of black cotton fabric (or if you've
                                          got the non-iron on, just grab a piece). Lay down that mesh of fabric
                                          w/ the interfacing in the center... Lay the piece down with the cloak
                                          edges, trim it like making a facing. Then treat all 3 layers and one -
                                          fashion fabric on top, interfacing as a middle, then the black. Turn
                                          under like before. (You're flat lining, just the bits where there's stress.

                                          And if your fabric is shear or loose weaved, ya may need black on both
                                          sides of the sandwich.

                                          -Cat-
                                        • Carol Lynn
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 5, 2010
                                            On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

                                            > Lord of the Rings Regular Authentic
                                            > Grey Fellowship Cloak scarf

                                            I've had one of these for five or six years (since the traveling exhibit was in Indianapolis) and while I have been treating it carefully, I have been wearing it. I was always a trifle disappointed in how it looked compared to what the cloaks looked like in the movies. It always seemed a little too shiny and hard and flat but it was so very cool, that I wore it anyway. It finally got to the point where it had to be cleaned. I dithered, since last spring, on whether to have it dry cleaned or to try and wash it. I finally threw caution to the winds and washed it gently by hand in warm-ish water and tumble dried it on the no-heat setting. Well, lo and behold! It fulled itself just a trifle. It now has a much more three dimensional, lighter, look and texture and finally looks *exactly* like the material I saw on screen. I am happy.

                                            Wool is wonderful. Why didn't I do this five years ago?

                                            Gwynnyd

                                            Carol Lynn
                                            carollynn@...

                                            "I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."

                                            JRR Tolkien, Letter #131

                                          • Furqueron
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 5, 2010
                                              Well met Carol Lynn,

                                              I was just exchanging emails with Kiri the other day on the wool order. She had asked if I wanted it "finished" or unfinished. Apparently they press or do something to it to give it a very smooth silken type finish. "Finished" is what they do to the scarves, but not the cloaks. (BTW, I admire you for wearing the scarf...mine is destined for a shadow box along with a brooch...but we'll definitely wear the cloaks we make!).

                                              I'm still debating on finished or unfinished...kids will be wearing the cloaks and we all know how the "itchy's" are...even as smooth a wool as this is...apparently the process to "finish" the wool does take a bit of time, not sure of the details...<off on another retentive engineer research project now!>

                                              Jesse

                                              --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Carol Lynn <gwynnyd@...> wrote:

                                              > On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Lord of the Rings Regular Authentic
                                              > > Grey Fellowship Cloak scarf
                                              >
                                              > I've had one of these for five or six years (since the traveling exhibit was in Indianapolis) and while I have been treating it carefully, I have been wearing it. I was always a trifle disappointed in how it looked compared to what the cloaks looked like in the movies. It always seemed a little too shiny and hard and flat but it was so very cool, that I wore it anyway. It finally got to the point where it had to be cleaned. I dithered, since last spring, on whether to have it dry cleaned or to try and wash it. I finally threw caution to the winds and washed it gently by hand in warm-ish water and tumble dried it on the no-heat setting. Well, lo and behold! It fulled itself just a trifle. It now has a much more three dimensional, lighter, look and texture and finally looks *exactly* like the material I saw on screen. I am happy.
                                              >
                                              > Wool is wonderful. Why didn't I do this five years ago?
                                              >
                                              > Gwynnyd
                                              >

                                              > Carol Lynn
                                              > carollynn@...
                                              >
                                              > "I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."
                                              >
                                              > JRR Tolkien, Letter #131

                                            • Carol Lynn
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 4, 2011
                                                I was just over at TORN and they have a video taken at the Weta Cave gift shop that shows the cape as it is sold.

                                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVFGzsZtL-M&feature=player_embedded

                                                Look at around 2:14 -2:50. You can easily see the hard, shiny finish on the fabric that looks *nothing* like the fabric as shown in the movies. After I washed mine, it is MUCH better - more dimensional, more translucent, softer, and it hangs much better. If you have something in this fabric and want it to look like the "real" stuff as shown in the movies, bite the bullet and wash it.

                                                Gwynnyd

                                                On Dec 5, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Furqueron wrote:

                                                > Well met Carol Lynn,
                                                >
                                                > I was just exchanging emails with Kiri the other day on the wool order. She had asked if I wanted it "finished" or unfinished. Apparently they press or do something to it to give it a very smooth silken type finish. "Finished" is what they do to the scarves, but not the cloaks. (BTW, I admire you for wearing the scarf...mine is destined for a shadow box along with a brooch...but we'll definitely wear the cloaks we make!).
                                                >
                                                > I'm still debating on finished or unfinished...kids will be wearing the cloaks and we all know how the "itchy's" are...even as smooth a wool as this is...apparently the process to "finish" the wool does take a bit of time, not sure of the details...<off on another retentive engineer research project now!>
                                                >
                                                > Jesse
                                                >
                                                > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, Carol Lynn <gwynnyd@...> wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > > Lord of the Rings Regular Authentic
                                                > > > Grey Fellowship Cloak scarf
                                                > >
                                                > > I've had one of these for five or six years (since the traveling exhibit was in Indianapolis) and while I have been treating it carefully, I have been wearing it. I was always a trifle disappointed in how it looked compared to what the cloaks looked like in the movies. It always seemed a little too shiny and hard and flat but it was so very cool, that I wore it anyway. It finally got to the point where it had to be cleaned. I dithered, since last spring, on whether to have it dry cleaned or to try and wash it. I finally threw caution to the winds and washed it gently by hand in warm-ish water and tumble dried it on the no-heat setting. Well, lo and behold! It fulled itself just a trifle. It now has a much more three dimensional, lighter, look and texture and finally looks *exactly* like the material I saw on screen. I am happy.
                                                > >
                                                > > Wool is wonderful. Why didn't I do this five years ago?
                                                > >
                                                > > Gwynnyd
                                                > >

                                                > > Carol Lynn
                                                > > carollynn@...
                                                > >
                                                > > "I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."
                                                > >
                                                > > JRR Tolkien, Letter #131

                                              • Cat Devereaux
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 4, 2011
                                                  On 1/4/2011 8:21 AM, Carol Lynn wrote:
                                                  > shiny finish on the fabric that looks*nothing* like the fabric as shown in the movies. After I washed mine, it is MUCH better - more dimensional, more translucent, softer, and it hangs much better. If you have something in this fabric and want it to look like the "real" stuff as shown in the movies, bite the bullet and wash it.
                                                  There's a two step process... for the modern textiles the Stansborough
                                                  folks use a fishing method... and when you special order the cloth, you
                                                  get an option to not have it finished.... which gives some of the
                                                  effect. The rest.... as you've discovered is the light washing.

                                                  (The light washing also undoes the finishing effect... though I don't
                                                  know if it needs a bit more washing to undo the finish... or if one
                                                  wetting is enough.)

                                                  -Cat-