Re: Quivers

  • mithrildesigns
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2009
      I have a Ranger quiver that a friend's husband made for me. She had made the interior bow bag out of linen for her quiver, and I am going to do the same. You can see a traditional bow bag here:

      http://www.sylvanarchery.co.uk/sundries%20folder/arrowbags.html

      I don't know of anywhere to get the Elven fletching for the arrows alone, but here are some good sources:

      http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-28-traditional-arrows.aspx

      http://www.3riversarchery.com/Arrow+Building+Feathers+Vanes_c52_s162_p235_thumb.html

      http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_82&products_id=888

      Good luck.
      Mithril

      --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" <mickeyhaugh@...> wrote:

      > Well met everyone. Way late getting to this party, but better late than never (I hope).
      >
      > I am working on a costume concept moving forward from the end of the trilogy into the 4th age. Where the countries of Rohan and Gondor have become closer with the union of Faramir and Eowyn.
      >
      > My concept is a based on the Rangers. I am currently working on a quiver based on the Mirkwood Legolas quiver.
      >
      > I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I cannot find it specifically. What I am looking for is how to make the knife/bow holster section which resides behind the quiver.
      >
      > I know that there was a study of the straps, but that seems to be no longer active.
      >
      > I also am looking to recreate the Faramir/Ranger quiver. (I am an active archery enthusiast). What is the material of the inside "bag" for the arrows? It appears to be topped with leather, but the bag looks like duck canvas? Anyone ever seen or created a pattern for these?
      >
      > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
      >
      > Mickey

    • Mickey Flint
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
        Thanks Everyone. Here is the quiver that I have come up with. Let me
        know what you think...
        My ranger bow and Aragorn arrows.
        <http://http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_b25cc1d2bdc34e5\
        fb516bbf117ec6ca5.jpg>
        --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "mithrildesigns"
        <mithrildesigns@...> wrote:

        > I have a Ranger quiver that a friend's husband made for me. She had
        made the interior bow bag out of linen for her quiver, and I am going to
        do the same. You can see a traditional bow bag here:

        > http://www.sylvanarchery.co.uk/sundries%20folder/arrowbags.html
        >
        > I don't know of anywhere to get the Elven fletching for the arrows
        alone, but here are some good sources:

        > http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-28-traditional-arrows.aspx

        http://www.3riversarchery.com/Arrow+Building+Feathers+Vanes_c52_s162_p23\
        5_thumb.html

        http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPat\
        h=79_82&products_id=888

        > Good luck.
        > Mithril
        >
        > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" mickeyhaugh@
        wrote:

        > > Well met everyone. Way late getting to this party, but better late
        than never (I hope).

        > > I am working on a costume concept moving forward from the end of the
        trilogy into the 4th age. Where the countries of Rohan and Gondor have
        become closer with the union of Faramir and Eowyn.

        > > My concept is a based on the Rangers. I am currently working on a
        quiver based on the Mirkwood Legolas quiver.

        > > I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I cannot
        find it specifically. What I am looking for is how to make the
        knife/bow holster section which resides behind the quiver.

        > > I know that there was a study of the straps, but that seems to be no
        longer active.

        > > I also am looking to recreate the Faramir/Ranger quiver. (I am an
        active archery enthusiast). What is the material of the inside "bag" for
        the arrows? It appears to be topped with leather, but the bag looks like
        duck canvas? Anyone ever seen or created a pattern for these?

        > > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
        > >
        > > Mickey

      • Mickey Flint
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
          That link didn't work.

          Lets try this one.

          http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=1398714&imageID=17984525

          --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" <mickeyhaugh@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Everyone. Here is the quiver that I have come up with. Let me
          > know what you think...
          > My ranger bow and Aragorn arrows.
          > <http://http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_b25cc1d2bdc34e5\
          > fb516bbf117ec6ca5.jpg>
          > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "mithrildesigns"
          > <mithrildesigns@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I have a Ranger quiver that a friend's husband made for me. She had
          > made the interior bow bag out of linen for her quiver, and I am going to
          > do the same. You can see a traditional bow bag here:
          > >
          > > http://www.sylvanarchery.co.uk/sundries%20folder/arrowbags.html
          > >
          > > I don't know of anywhere to get the Elven fletching for the arrows
          > alone, but here are some good sources:
          > >
          > > http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-28-traditional-arrows.aspx
          > >

          > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Arrow+Building+Feathers+Vanes_c52_s162_p23\
          > 5_thumb.html
          > >

          > http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPat\
          > h=79_82&products_id=888
          > >
          > > Good luck.
          > > Mithril
          > >
          > > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" mickeyhaugh@
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Well met everyone. Way late getting to this party, but better late
          > than never (I hope).
          > > >
          > > > I am working on a costume concept moving forward from the end of the
          > trilogy into the 4th age. Where the countries of Rohan and Gondor have
          > become closer with the union of Faramir and Eowyn.
          > > >
          > > > My concept is a based on the Rangers. I am currently working on a
          > quiver based on the Mirkwood Legolas quiver.
          > > >
          > > > I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I cannot
          > find it specifically. What I am looking for is how to make the
          > knife/bow holster section which resides behind the quiver.
          > > >
          > > > I know that there was a study of the straps, but that seems to be no
          > longer active.
          > > >
          > > > I also am looking to recreate the Faramir/Ranger quiver. (I am an
          > active archery enthusiast). What is the material of the inside "bag" for
          > the arrows? It appears to be topped with leather, but the bag looks like
          > duck canvas? Anyone ever seen or created a pattern for these?
          > > >
          > > > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Mickey

        • Mickey Flint
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
            Alright this is the last one. Sorry for the confusion

            http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=455168233&albumID=1398714&imageID=17984525

          • Mirimaran
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
              Hey great job! I really like the quiver and arrows!

              Mirimaran

            • Mickey Flint
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
                I also worked up a Mirkwood style quiver as well. The original was wood covered with leather, and mine is purely leather. I also added the lambswool at the mouth of the quiver to silence the arrows.

                I intended this one to be a fully functional quiver, thus the differences from the movie version.

                http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=455168233&albumID=1385742&imageID=16985521

                Here are the costume arrows I made to go with it. These are duck feathers from Michael's and by NO means what I would use for actual fletchings, but they were in expensive and easy to get.

                http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=455168233&albumID=1385771&imageID=16986380

                --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" <mickeyhaugh@...> wrote:

                > Well met everyone. Way late getting to this party, but better late than never (I hope).
                >
                > I am working on a costume concept moving forward from the end of the trilogy into the 4th age. Where the countries of Rohan and Gondor have become closer with the union of Faramir and Eowyn.
                >
                > My concept is a based on the Rangers. I am currently working on a quiver based on the Mirkwood Legolas quiver.
                >
                > I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I cannot find it specifically. What I am looking for is how to make the knife/bow holster section which resides behind the quiver.
                >
                > I know that there was a study of the straps, but that seems to be no longer active.
                >
                > I also am looking to recreate the Faramir/Ranger quiver. (I am an active archery enthusiast). What is the material of the inside "bag" for the arrows? It appears to be topped with leather, but the bag looks like duck canvas? Anyone ever seen or created a pattern for these?
                >
                > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
                >
                > Mickey

              • Dr Spin
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Very nice work!

                  I also worked up a Mirkwood style quiver as well. The original was wood covered with leather, and mine is purely leather. I also added the lambswool at the mouth of the quiver to silence the arrows.

                  I intended this one to be a fully functional quiver, thus the differences from the movie version.

                  http://viewmorepics .myspace. com/index. cfm?fuseaction= viewImage& friendID= 455168233& albumID=1385742& imageID=16985521

                  Here are the costume arrows I made to go with it. These are duck feathers from Michael's and by NO means what I would use for actual fletchings, but they were in expensive and easy to get.

                  http://viewmorepics .myspace. com/index. cfm?fuseaction= viewImage& friendID= 455168233& albumID=1385771& imageID=16986380

                  --- In LOTR_Costume@ yahoogroups. com, "Mickey Flint" <mickeyhaugh@ ...> wrote:

                  > Well met everyone. Way late getting to this party, but better late than never (I hope).
                  >
                  > I am working on a costume concept moving forward from the end of the trilogy into the 4th age. Where the countries of Rohan and Gondor have become closer with the union of Faramir and Eowyn.
                  >
                  > My concept is a based on the Rangers. I am currently working on a quiver based on the Mirkwood Legolas quiver.
                  >
                  > I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I cannot find it specifically. What I am looking for is how to make the knife/bow holster section which resides behind the quiver.
                  >
                  > I know that there was a study of the straps, but that seems to be no longer active.
                  >
                  > I also am looking to recreate the Faramir/Ranger quiver. (I am an active archery enthusiast). What is the material of the inside "bag" for the arrows? It appears to be topped with leather, but the bag looks like duck canvas? Anyone ever seen or created a pattern for these?
                  >
                  > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
                  >
                  > Mickey

                • Sandra
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Very nice. And here's the correct link for those of you who couldn't get to the photo:

                    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_b25cc1d2bdc34e5fb516bbf117ec6ca5.jpg

                    Sandra Graves
                    IsisRising08 @ aol.com
                    Artistic Endeavors with Wings of Light

                    Blog at http://sandragravesisisrising.blogspot.com/
                    Website at http://IsisRising08.com

                    Also check out my bead store:
                    Stormcloud Trading Cowww.beadstorm.com
                    Saint Paul, Minnesota
                    651-645-0343

                    --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" <mickeyhaugh@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Everyone. Here is the quiver that I have come up with. Let me
                    > know what you think...
                    > My ranger bow and Aragorn arrows.
                    > <http://http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_b25cc1d2bdc34e5\
                    > fb516bbf117ec6ca5.jpg>
                    > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "mithrildesigns"

                  • jantije
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Peering out from the depths of my Hobbit hole. Been hiding in there far too long! (Don't say it, Cat!)

                      3 Rivers Archery is a great source for fletching supplies. Most of the SCA archers in my kingdom use them on a very regular basis & I've heard very little bad.

                      Eleanor Proudfoot

                      --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "mithrildesigns" <mithrildesigns@...> wrote:

                      > I have a Ranger quiver that a friend's husband made for me. She had made the interior bow bag out of linen for her quiver, and I am going to do the same. You can see a traditional bow bag here:
                      >
                      > http://www.sylvanarchery.co.uk/sundries%20folder/arrowbags.html
                      >
                      > I don't know of anywhere to get the Elven fletching for the arrows alone, but here are some good sources:
                      >
                      > http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-28-traditional-arrows.aspx
                      >
                      > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Arrow+Building+Feathers+Vanes_c52_s162_p235_thumb.html
                      >
                      > http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_82&products_id=888
                      >
                      > Good luck.
                      > Mithril
                      >
                      > --- In LOTR_Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Mickey Flint" <mickeyhaugh@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well met everyone. Way late getting to this party, but better late than never (I hope).
                      > >
                      > > I am working on a costume concept moving forward from the end of the trilogy into the 4th age. Where the countries of Rohan and Gondor have become closer with the union of Faramir and Eowyn.
                      > >
                      > > My concept is a based on the Rangers. I am currently working on a quiver based on the Mirkwood Legolas quiver.
                      > >
                      > > I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I cannot find it specifically. What I am looking for is how to make the knife/bow holster section which resides behind the quiver.
                      > >
                      > > I know that there was a study of the straps, but that seems to be no longer active.
                      > >
                      > > I also am looking to recreate the Faramir/Ranger quiver. (I am an active archery enthusiast). What is the material of the inside "bag" for the arrows? It appears to be topped with leather, but the bag looks like duck canvas? Anyone ever seen or created a pattern for these?
                      > >
                      > > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Mickey

                    • tongarii
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2009
                        I checked out all your photos and you look great.

                        Congrats on a well done costume.

                        Faye

                        www.simbelmyne.us