Fabric and Suspenders (New at all this!)

  • catdevereaux
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2002
      > I was told that this wool fabric was imported from Germany;
      > I don't have the name, but I got the fabric at a tiny little shop
      in the
      > middle of a block on 9th street (I think.)

      Do you remember if it was the north or south side??? (That's how
      most folks do it... block and side of the street... too many little
      shops.)

      > So, any button suspender links you know of?

      Re-enactor places have black and white suspenders like that. Places
      like www.AlterYears.com probably have them. (They're in San
      Gabriel.) But since you're probably going for some other color. Buy
      the correct color the ends can be cut off and new tabs sewn on.
      Normally the button ones use a piece of leather w/ a button hole slit
      or walk into any fabric store and buy the metal bits for a bib
      front. (Looks like a short fat "T".) They hook over overall front
      buttons but can be used for suspenders as well.

      BTW, unless you really plan to tear up your waist band (since you
      aren't used to suspenders)... get elastic, don't use straight fabric
      strips.

      Actually, suspenders are not that hard to make and you can get basic
      hardware at most larger fabric stores... but not downtown.

      -Cat-
    • primmy_b
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2002
        Hi Cat,
        I'm pretty sure the tiny shop was on the south side of the street.
        Also, the store manager requested that I pay him in cash.
        Thanks for all the tips on button suspenders. Lots of ideas &
        possibilities there. So, the button itself is on the trousers, and
        the suspenders have the button hole; I had it backwards.
        I found some ready-made brown suede-cloth trousers (on sale!)
        so I'll need to take the belt loops off, add buttons to the waist,
        and have the legs shortened. Gee, this is fun! It's like a
        scavenger hunt!
        -Primmy

        --- In LOTR_Costume@y..., "catdevereaux" <CatDevereaux@A...>