Re: Subject: Faux Leather

  • azelana@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
      Tammy wrote:

      <<They actually acid etched the designs according to an interview with the
      costume designer.>>

      Yes, we know this is true for the silk velvets worn by Elrond and oher elves, but this question was about Legolas' jerkin originally.  (Sorry for the confusion)  I suggested that if you make Legolas' leather jerkin in faux, then try Fibre Etch to acid etch just like the LOTR designers did with velvet.  On real suede, though, I can't think of anything other than acryllic paint to make those swirls on Legolas' jerkin.  Does anyone here know for sure if it was painted or embroidered?

      --N'stasha

      Group links:

      Yahoo! Groups : LOTR_
      Costume.
      Click on "Photos" for pics of costumes made by people on the LOTR_Costume List.  Also search the archives for tips on how to make them yourself.

      ACS.
      All the LOTR character costume research you could want.
      http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/
    • CandyJGirl
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
        > confusion) I suggested that if you make Legolas' leather jerkin in
        faux,
        > then try Fibre Etch to acid etch just like the LOTR designers did
        with
        > velvet.

        I dont think that Fiber Etch will work on faux suede/leather....
        Fiber etch works on eating away at the plant fibers like linen,
        cotton and rayon. It does not eat away at synthetic or protein
        fibers like polyester, silk, or wool. Thats why it works so nicely
        on silk velvet - it eats away at the rayon pile, leaving the
        silk "backing" as a sheer design. I think that they used a different
        kind of acid on the leathers for the movie. Most faux suede and
        leather (pleather) are polyesters, poly/PVC, etc. Maybe a brushed
        cotton with a suede-like look would work, but it would likely eat
        right through the cotton.
        Of course, that doesnt mean someone cant try! (well ventelated space,
        gloves, and all other proper procautions of course!) Fiber etch has
        a pH of 1, so be careful - as Sabine and Fran will remind us!
        -Dawn