Re: Semi OT - Sword blades

  • Matthew Amt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      > From: Kira Jones <tantila@...>
      >
      > For those of you who have made convincing swords before, what do you use for
      > the blades? I managed to get myself into making a gladius, and am looking for
      > something fairly easy to work with. Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Kira

      I haven't made blades myself, though I've converted a couple from one
      shape to another by grinding. Much depends on what you want it for. If
      this gladius is supposed to be for historical use, you'll want steel, but
      luckily Roman steel was often pretty crappy so a modern mild steel is fine.
      But it'll have to be tougher than that if the user is going to be whacking
      things with it, so then you're into tool steels.

      Hopefully, though, this is just for LARP or costuming use, in which case
      Tammy's suggestion of aluminum makes sense.

      In any case, a piece 3/16" to 1/4" thick by 2" wide is what you want.
      Lots more about the gladius here:

      http://www.larp.com/legioxx/gladius.html

      http://www.larp.com/legioxx/gladhnts.html

      Probably more than you wanted to know! Good luck, and feel free to hit me
      with any more Roman questions, off-list or on.

      Vale,

      Matthew/Ugluk/Quintus/et cetera...