Dying silk (was: making patterns)

  • CandyJGirl
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
      Get your pot and gloves ready...

      Yes, silk dupioni can be dyed, like any other silk (or natural
      fiber)

      One thing to note, is that many dupioni fabrics are cross-dyed (erk..
      head still fuzzy... maybe thats not the right word) ... meaning that
      the weft is one colour, and the warp is another. For instance, to
      make SILVER silk, you can use a black warp, and a grey weft, and the
      resulting fabric when moved in the hand will look silver. Likewise,
      green one direction, blue in the other, and the result will be green
      under one light, blue under another, and blue-green under a flat
      light.
      That brings the problem to dying... if the fabric is cross-dyed... of
      what colour you might end up with. For instance.. if the fabric is
      the silver as mentioned before.. the grey might take your... (ex:)
      green dye, but then the black will stay black - resulting in a darker
      green then you might have imagined. If its not cross-dyed, then no
      worries.

      If the darkness/depth/etc of the colour you get is VERY important...
      (" I NEED to have this green match as closely as possible the green
      of the trim") then you can dye in stages, dye once, still too light,
      dye again, still too light, dye again... ahhh.. just right....

      (suddenly feels like a sick goldilocks)

      You ~should~ use dyes meant for silks - and often low quality
      dupioni's are much looser weave then higher cost ones (hence handle
      with a bit of care.. though bridal use is probably pretty good
      fabric), but you CAN use normal "supermarket" dyes too. Test a scrap
      if its important to you to get the ~right~ colour. I've used proper
      dyes (Procion..? I cant remember the name) for silk, and had great,
      intense results on gently off-white silk. I have also used Rit on
      silk, and got slightly less intense results, though the techniques
      used and fabrics will also have an effect on the results.

      You will want to keep all bleach and fabric lighteners/colour
      removers from the silk - but for a bridesmaid dress its likely pretty
      pale and should dye darker fairly well. You should also make sure
      that the areas you want to use dont have any stains on them (which
      wont take dye properly) and probably a good idea to wash the fabric
      before dying - particularly if it hasnt been washed before.

      You can also dye-to-match your trims at the same time, though they
      wont really ~MATCH~ - depending on the colour they already are, the
      fiber content, etc. A lot of the trim on the garments are tone-on-
      tone, so this might be good way to get a matching colour, rather
      then try to dye to match something existing. Again, lighter colours
      will dye closer then darker ones, and synthetics will not dye.

      - Dawn
      (still sick.. hope that all made sence...)

      > Thanks for the fabric suggestions everyone! Can duponi silk be
      dyed? If so,
      > I may have finally come up with a use for a slightly used
      bridesmaid dress
      > (certainly enough fabric for a shirt!)
    • figweet
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
        Yes, Dawn, Procion dyes(which are OK for silk- I would skip the Rit
        unless you like frustration and wrong colors). If you have an art
        supply store nearby they should have a full selection of the dyes and
        info on how to dye silk. You would be best to use an acid fixitive
        (such as vinegar- look up the specific directions before trying
        this! I am not giving step-by-step directions here ;o)There is
        another dye(should be available at the art store) which is better for
        silk.

        Also remember that depending on what color the original fabric is the
        end result will be affected. If you try to dye a yellow fabric with
        blue dye, it will be greenish. I would advise that you take little
        squares and experiment before dying the entire batch of silk.

        Victoria

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
          thanks for adding to that Victoria... sick.. bad... ick...

          > Yes, Dawn, Procion dyes(which are OK for silk- I would skip the Rit
          > unless you like frustration and wrong colors).

          I actually have had really good luck with Rit, despite problems that
          others have had. I had about 4meters of cotton velvet and got a
          lovely even dove grey out of pale blue - no blotching or speckeling,
          etc... I know its not the ~right~ thing to use, hence my advice to
          test a swatch for the right colour, etc....

          If you have an art
          > supply store nearby they should have a full selection of the dyes
          and
          > info on how to dye silk.

          I have actually never found the dyes at art supply or fabric arts
          stores in my area. Probably just a matter of looking around a little
          more, but in the meantime, rit does the job.. lol

          > Also remember that depending on what color the original fabric is
          the
          > end result will be affected. If you try to dye a yellow fabric
          with
          > blue dye, it will be greenish. I would advise that you take little
          > squares and experiment before dying the entire batch of silk.

          Definitly.. like my "silver" dupioni example... always good to
          test.... if the result is important. I am pretty bad about that
          though... I usually just head in a general direction, and end up
          loving the results..... rather then having an exact outcome in mind
          and stressing myself out trying to get it perfect. Happy
          coincidences are much more fun!

          Another note about dying in general, is black. Regardless of the
          fiber content, or the dye.. its almost impossible to get a good deep
          solid black. *sighs*

          - a still sick Dawn
        • salteegurl
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
            A good place to get dyes is the Earth Guild in Asheville, NC. They
            have a whole lot of other supplies for things like basketry, weaving,
            woodworking, spinning, leatherworking, handling (gloves, masks,
            safety items) and more. You can order by phone, fax, snail mail or
            email. They've been friendly and helpful every time I've dealt with
            them. The website is:
            http://earthguild.com
            I suppose I should introduce myself seeing as I joined over a month
            ago and have made a couple other posts already! My name is Melissa
            and I do costuming/visual effects for theatre and just recently for
            movies as well as my main job as a living historian. I have my hands
            full with clothing for work, but I am working on male hobbit, Arwen
            and Gandalf costumes for friends and myself. I'll go back to lurking
            now!