Re: [LR_Cos] Costumes

  • sustre@pixelations.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2002
      >How would you go about making the Boromir cloak clasps? The ones
      >that look like shields. I was thinking of making a sculpt and then
      >molding it to make others like it but I don't know what to use to actually
      >make the piece. Pewter would be too fragile to actually hold the weight
      >of the cloak.

      Pewter would be strong enough, I think, if you made it thick enough.
      I know many commercial cape clasps are cast in pewter, and work fine
      as long as one doesn't put a lightweight one on a heavy cape.

      Other options are silver- you can make the original out of almost
      anything and send it to a casting company to get it cast- or white
      bronze (cheaper than silver but nice-looking and strong; some casters
      don't use it but others will). You could even use Sculpey or Fimo,
      embedding a brass wire in it for the loop and/or hook, then painting
      them silver.

      PMC is a possibility, but you'd need to use sterling for the
      functional parts because fine silver isn't strong enough, especially
      when porous. (PMC is basically pure silver dust in a binder that
      makes it act like clay, then you fire it at a high temp to burn off
      the binder and leave a smaller, pure silver result.) Probably other
      approaches would be better than this one.

      -Amanda