Fusible interfacing

  • ljosalfarau
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi guys,
      I was just wondering, as an alternative to flat-lining on something
      like suede-cloth, could you use one of those new fusible interfacings
      designed for knits? Obviously it would give the same drape as a
      stiffer or thicker fabric, if you line the body of the garment, and
      they are more flexible than the old woven ones... And because they
      meld with the fabric, less problems with shifting or shrinkage.
      Anyone with practical experience at this? Or does it merely sound
      good in theory?
      Naomi
    • Cat Devereaux
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        Not a good idea. The fusible interfacing... are meant just for facings.
        They can easily bubble.

        Flat lining really isn't difficult... You just pin a few points and then sew
        them together on the edges and treat them as one fabric.

        -Cat-

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
          <<

          Not a good idea.   The fusible interfacing... are meant just for facings.
          They can easily bubble.>>

          I'll second that. Don't use it in replace of flat lining. You'll be very disapointed.

          I only use it to stiffen a collar or for a facing down the front of a shirt to make it stiffer to sew in buttons or frogs or whatever.

          <<Flat lining really isn't difficult... You just pin a few points and then sew
          them together on the edges and treat them as one fabric.>>

          I usually overlock, or serge, the pieces together. It really is MUCH better than lining the normal way, which I so very much hate to do! :)

          Tammy