cloth buttons (was Re: [LR_Cos] Frodo details: suspenders, buttons and shirts

  • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2002
      >Do anyone have a link for how to make these buttons or is willing to
      >describe it and sketch a few pictures????? Looking for a volunteer here!
      >(and if you don't know how to but know where to find the documentation,
      >here's your chance to learn.)

      These look like what are called 'linen buttons', which are cloth-covered
      rings sewn on as buttons (like a modern cloth-covered button). Make a
      circle of cloth maybe three times the outside diameter of the ring, run a
      gathering thread around near the edge, insert the ring (plastic, and
      available from fabric stores), and draw up the gathers. Tuck the raw edges
      inside the gathering, and sew the button on like a shank-less shirt button.

      Somewhat fancier are 'Dorset buttons'. These are made by winding thread
      around a ring till the ring is covered, then doing some decorative stitches
      on top of the winding, to keep the threads in place. Wind the thread all
      the way across the ring, not just around the edges. Use something like
      stem stitch to hold the threads in the middle, and stitch just inside the
      ring, all the way around.

      Victorian sewing and needlework books mention these two kinds of
      buttons. I looked in mine, and only two mention them, available
      commercially then, and with no directions for making them given. They are
      historically period for all of the 1800's and into the early 1900's, and
      give garments a home-made look.

      Kayta
      //// \\\
      ) ((((((