RE: [LOTE-L] Dice "to hit"

  • Robert Hanson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      That would probably be more predictable than how it is being done now.
      Right now they roll the dice once per round of combat (I believe) which is
      going to be more random than a ton of dice being thrown. The more dice you
      roll, the more you will see an average behavior.

      But then again I am all for a little bit of predictability. After all, what
      good is using RF's to determine enemy troops numbers, strength, and
      leadership if it all let up to chance.

      Rob

    • GreatKhanLords31@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        God! Now there's a game (Titan) that I haven't played in quite a while...I
        used to play all the time, until I started winning all the time.

        Heavy sigh!

        Does anyone have a use for an old Titan set, laminated, counters covered in
        clear tape (OK, how many sets have YOU gone through because the color washed
        out, since they use water soluble inks on their playing pieces?)?

        Mark

        -----

        You know, it's not really too different from that now, Warren. For each
        battle I add up the modifiers and then there is a "to hit" value given to
        one side and another "to hit" value for the other side. Dice are thrown and
        then I compare. Which ever player has the higher die wins that round.
        Depending on how bad the damage was, or if it were a "crit-hit" the battle
        may be over. Otherwise, I recalculate modifiers based on loses and roll
        dice again.

        Oh wait, you're thinking of 1 die per unit. Got it. Yes, I'd need a bucket
        and a pool table. And then I'd chain you to the pool table to find all the
        ones and push them to that side of the table, then all the twos and push
        them to the other side... When you're all done I'd require you to tell me
        how many hit and to fill the bucket for me to roll them on round two... ;-)
        At least I'm not one of those gamers that like to throw one die at a time.
        They should be shot. We all ganged up to take one guy out when we played
        Titan and his serpent hit the field...

        Dave

        One way to get away from the odds and bonus number crunching, a
        dice "to hit" system such as that used in "Axis & Allies", "Samarai
        Swords" (formerly "Shogun"), or AH "Victory in the Pacific"/"War at
        Sea" could be used. I like the imagery of Dave Adams sitting next to
        a pool table dumping buckets of dice on the table to resolve the
        battles. If I ever GM a roleplaying game such as Lords (or something
        else) I will use a "to hit" style system to make combat resolution
        fast and to prevent such number crunching.

        Warren Bruhn
      • George Shrake
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          Speaking of Titan, I recently found my copy in storage, though the rules are
          missing. Would anyone be willing to e-mail me a copy?

          George Shrake

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050570
          88:HM/A=879172/R=0/*http://www.fastweb.com/ib/yahoo-75f>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=1705057088:HM/A=879172/rand=963417909>