player info

  • gRiviere@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1 1:48 AM
      Everyone:

      As you all may know, we are having a bit of difficulty on Lords One with
      secret societies. They are trying to bring back the (Cthulu) Old Ones,
      and are reasonably close to doing so. One of the side effects of this
      process is the steady creep of ice wastes southward into Europe, Asia
      and North America, hence we call the pro-Cthulu players "Ice" players.
      While trying to get some answers to long-standing questions about the
      history of cults in the game, I ran across a couple of Ice players
      (smartasses, really) by the name of
      Bill Murphy and James Gemmill. I'm trying to find the answers to a few
      questions:

      Who are they (what do they do, where do they live)?

      Who got them involved in Lords? Or, rather, who recruited them as Ice
      players?

      Are they in any other Lords games?

      Who do they cooperate with in these other games?

      On a larger note, does anyone have answers to the following questions:

      Who plays/played the Assassins of Alamut in Lords One?

      When did the Assassins become a player position?

      Are the Assassins still around?

      If you don't want to respond publicly, my e-mail address is
      griviere@....

      Gary Riviere
      Maasai, Lords One.
    • Ellen Bennett
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1 5:11 AM
        >James is a devastatingly sexy and debonair librarian-type from the [Steve
        >Francis/David Duchovny eat your goddamn hearts out!] magnificent city of
        >Vancouver.
        >
        >Bill is an "occupant" of a certain health-services related facility.

        This made me laugh...James, you have a good sense of humor!

        >Who plays/played the Assassins of Alamut in Lords One?

        Bill, according to Bill, and Tom's website.

        - Ellen

        Ellen L. Bennett
        Carthago delenda est!
      • james gemmill
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1 8:55 AM
          On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 gRiviere@... wrote:

          > Bill Murphy and James Gemmill. I'm trying to find the answers to a few
          > questions:

          Snort!

          > Who are they (what do they do, where do they live)?

          James is a devastatingly sexy and debonair librarian-type from the [Steve
          Francis/David Duchovny eat your goddamn hearts out!] magnificent city of
          Vancouver.

          Bill is an "occupant" of a certain health-services related facility.

          > Who got them involved in Lords? Or, rather, who recruited them as Ice
          > players?

          I got into Lords many moons ago in a little campaign called LOTE17.I was
          not, until this moment, aware that I was an Ice player. Thank god you've
          straightened me out, as I've been entering my orders wrong.

          > Are they in any other Lords games?

          Well, Lords17 [orig. ed.] went belly up. Then I joined Lords20 as the
          Dalai Lama, and then Lords15 as Ireland. That too went belly up. Finally I
          decided I'd join LordsOne because it seemed like it was the one campaign
          that wouldn't end abruptly. SEEMS PRETTY FUNNY NOW!! HAHAHA

          > Who do they cooperate with in these other games?

          The one who promises to love me in the morning.

          > Are the Assassins still around?

          Always. There's one behind you right now!

          Regards!

          James Gemmill/SmartAss
        • bob@xxxx.xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1 12:32 PM

            > From: Ellen Bennett <ebenn@...>
            >
            > >James is a devastatingly sexy and debonair librarian-type from the [Steve
            > >Francis/David Duchovny eat your goddamn hearts out!] magnificent city of
            > >Vancouver.
            > >
            > >Bill is an "occupant" of a certain health-services related facility.
            >
            > This made me laugh...James, you have a good sense of humor!

            Humor? Oh.

            > >Who plays/played the Assassins of Alamut in Lords One?
            >
            > Bill, according to Bill, and Tom's website.

            Not, however, the case. The actual player is Lamar Alexander, who now has
            plenty of time for such things. His agents actually make the dead men
            wear plaid. Scary.

            Adios,
            Chris
            --
            C.S. Cornuelle
            School of Mathematics/MCIM, University of Minnesota
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1 2:06 PM
              > While trying to get some answers to long-standing questions about the
              > history of cults in the game, I ran across a couple of Ice players
              > (smartasses, really) by the name of Bill Murphy and James Gemmill.

              Smartasses? Did you hear James? He called us smart! And Mom said I'd never
              amount to anything.

              Gary, not nice taking personal offense at some email jabbing between Poland
              and the Black Fleet. I guess I've been called out. Pretty brave stuff from a
              country who can't reach (and can't be reached by) the Black Fleet.

              I'll answer your questions, what few I have knowledge about. Lords trivia
              does not hurt my cause any.

              > Who are they (what do they do, where do they live)?

              Talk about out of context. You want to know where I live? What's next, will
              your dad will kick my dad's ass? Will I find a horse's head in my bed? Or
              will you gain a complete and instant understanding of my tactics once you have
              performed a psychological analysis on me based on interviews from my friends?

              For the record, I'm from Tucson, Arizona and I'm the network administrator for
              a medium-sized manufacturing company. In my spare time, when I'm not
              responding to silly Lords threads, I run the Internet Development Group for a
              national non-profit organization called the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps.
              Anyone with kids who is looking for an unique alternative to the Boy and Girls
              Scouts (though kids can be enrolled in both) should surf in and check out the
              program, http://www.seacadets.org

              I'm a Pisces who enjoys rappelling, going to movies, taking care of my one
              year old daughter, and occasional wargaming. Turnoffs include: cats, slimy
              foods, and smoking.

              > Who got them involved in Lords? Or, rather, who recruited them as Ice
              > players?

              Thomas Harlan and Chris Cornuelle got me involved with Lords back in college
              on 1987 or so. We used to hang out between classes and wargame together. My
              best friends in Lords One are Chris, Daniel Martin, Menachem, Rich Ketcham,
              Ellen, and John Thomson. I got reinvolved with Lords a few turns ago so I
              could interact with my old college buddies, we stopped having regular poker
              games years ago. Its ironic that we are fighting each other now. But one
              takes the openings that one is given, and I'm having a lot of fun freaking the
              newer players out. But we don't ever take it personal. I'm glad that there
              are familiar faces on the other side.

              I have previously played Georgia, the Friends of Luigi (SE), the Azorean
              Papacy (twice), and Sarawak just after the Big Maori War. I liked playing the
              Pope (first time) best. My superpower is the ability to suddenly lose
              interest in the game and to drop out for several years at a time. Of course,
              I could just be bipolar and go from incredibly militaristic to subtle
              non-appearing SE in alternating years. That would mean that I successfully
              assumed all of these other openings in turn. I'd play it safe and assume that
              all of those previous positions are Ice Lords too.

              I was recruited as an Ice Player a few turns ago by Thomas. I have had no
              contact with the previous Black Fleet player. None of my previous turns in
              Lords One have been related to any of the others. I don't carry grudges or
              alliances from position to position. Case in point is my excellent game
              relationship with Chris and John when I was the Pope, and not so much now.
              And if I fail and come back to the game? I'll probably take up a position
              near one of my friends so we can email each other within the game.

              Most of my Lords stints have a year or two separating them and have lasted
              less than 10 turns. I suspect that many others (besides my friends in Lords)
              have a similar pedigree.

              I also like to think that I was one of the people who recruited Ellen, the
              Lybian player into Lords. Even when she makes my life difficult in the game
              (reread my last stint as the Pope), she is just so cute doing it. Better lump
              her in with the Ice Baddies.

              > Are they in any other Lords games?

              I am in Lords 23. I have never, prior to my one turn so far in 23, played in
              any campaign but One. I play Lords to interact with my old friends who I
              never see anymore. I got into Lords 23 to play in a campaign with Thomas, I
              have never had the opportunity before. I am a new position that has no formal
              alliances in 23 (perhaps why I am last in the ISI) but I have exchanged email
              and come to understandings with the Spanish Player (Thomas H.), the Pope
              (Darin Byrne), the ERE (Matt Taylor), the Normans (Daniel Martin), the French
              (Eddie Hartwell) and German player (check the ISI, I can't recall now).

              This of course, makes each of the above Ice Lords.

              > Who plays/played the Assassins of Alamut in Lords One?

              Don't know. But I briefly played a SE in Lords One (5 turns?) who pretended
              to be the Assassins. Open nations would send us money (thinking I was the
              Assassins) to kill their neighbors and we could make our support costs without
              needing trading partners. It's a great gig, similar to the arrangement
              several other SE's have in Lords One. Of course, you realize that this makes
              all of them Ice Lords as well.

              > When did the Assassins become a player position?

              Before my time.

              > Are the Assassins still around?

              Not sure. I have never seen direct evidence of them in the several positions
              that I have played. As I understand it, one of the UberWars that was
              conducted in Lords before my time wiped them out. But every time someone
              makes great gains in the Assassination department, that nagging doubts always
              seem to come up.

              The points of all of the above smarminess are:

              1. Don't take things personal and read your email carefully. James and I
              were having fun on the list. You chose to interpret this as a couple of Ice
              guys having fun at your expense. You were actually secondary to the whole
              thing.

              2. Don't call someone out when you a.) can't do anything to them (and vice
              versa) and b.) no one has any idea what you are talking about.

              3. Keep your gripes within the game. Finding out personal info about a
              game opponent? Really. When I get hammered by an opponent, I get a little
              bummed. But I don't have a problem with the other guy(s), they're just
              playing the game. And when I stomp someone's country out of existence, I
              don't give it a second thought.

              4. Keep things on topic and don't spam other lists. Anyone who would know
              anything about my Lords One history is still playing in Lords One. Let's take
              any replies to this email back there.
            • gRiviere@xxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1 11:40 PM
                Bill Murphy wrote:

                > > Who are they (what do they do, where do they live)?
                >
                > Talk about out of context. You want to know where I live? What's next, will
                > your dad will kick my dad's ass? Will I find a horse's head in my bed? Or
                > will you gain a complete and instant understanding of my tactics once you have
                > performed a psychological analysis on me based on interviews from my friends?

                No, actually. Sadly, I'm starting this investigation into the whole Ice thing way
                behind the time curve. Any information can prove helpful, you never know what.
                The more we know, the better we are, generally speaking.

                > 1. Don't take things personal and read your email carefully. James and I
                > were having fun on the list. You chose to interpret this as a couple of Ice
                > guys having fun at your expense. You were actually secondary to the whole
                > thing.

                As far as readinig the e-mail carefully - the point is well taken.

                > 2. Don't call someone out when you a.) can't do anything to them (and vice
                > versa) and b.) no one has any idea what you are talking about.

                "Call someone out"? Get over yourself. You said you have a job, right? You're an
                adult? What are you going to do next, dare me to meet you behind the gymn after
                school?

                > 3. Keep your gripes within the game. Finding out personal info about a
                > game opponent? Really. When I get hammered by an opponent, I get a little
                > bummed. But I don't have a problem with the other guy(s), they're just
                > playing the game. And when I stomp someone's country out of existence, I
                > don't give it a second thought.

                I don't have a gripe - see the above.

                > 4. Keep things on topic and don't spam other lists. Anyone who would know
                > anything about my Lords One history is still playing in Lords One. Let's take
                > any replies to this email back there.

                My e-mail habits are not your concern, and your comments are unwelcome. Further,
                there are players out on the other lists who have played in Lords One who might
                have useful information. A lot of people have cycled through the game through the
                years, and I'm interested in anything they might have to say. Take your own
                advice and stop taking yourself so seriously.

                Gary Riviere