RE: [LMSRF] Americap II

  • robert smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2002

      From the J/105 Fleet Captain,

      Please expand upon the possibility of problems that might outweigh competitor benefits.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2002

      • tjkeane@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2002
          Paul,
            Great decision.  Hopefully Chicago Yacht Club will develop your insight and intelligence.

          -Tom Keane
             COLYC

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2002
            Bob,

              one, is the expense of getting measured many boats would need to go through for one race.     another,  the ratings really seem to favor newer designs, j105, syndey38, farr395 (which already have a one-design class), and put older boats at a disadvantge.  (older PHRF boats).

            I would like to hear the details  of Bayview's  conclusion

            -Tom Keane
            COLYC

            From the J/105 Fleet Captain,

          • falconepcpa <falconecpa@juno.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
              1)We sent a list of boats that did the 2002 BYC race to U.S. Sailing
              to see which ones they had in their database. There were 28 boats
              that they did not have numbers on. At $1,200.00 each it would cost
              over $33,000.00 to have these boats measured.
              2)The only way to get a U.S. Sailing rating would be to have each
              boat measured. U.S. Sailing is willing to provide a great lakes only
              certificate to boats that choose not to be measured. Because each
              boat weights a different amount identical boats can have different
              ratings. The great lakes certificate would be based on the faster
              boats that have been weighed and are in the U.S. Sailings database.
              For example: if U.S. Sailing had weighted and rated five c&c 35's the
              great lakes certificate for c&c 35's would be that of the faster c&c
              35's in their database. Therefore, boats that choose to or can
              afford to be weighed will probably end up with a better rating then
              identical boats that choose to go with the great lakes certificate.
              3)Currently known one in Detroit is certified to measure under the
              Americap rule.
              4)We only have seven months before our race; there is no way to pull
              this off and do it right in this short period of time.
              5)It is risk free to take a wait and see approach with the Chicago
              race.
              6)Currently there are 20,000 boats with PHRF ratings and only 300
              with Americap ratings.

              Paul Falcone
              2003 Race Chairman