Newbie and a question.

  • chiisutaru
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hello, I've just joined after seeing some of your art on other
      sites. Lisa, you're truly amazing. What I want to ask is how do
      you get your image of a certain character out of your head onto
      paper? Here I'm talking mainly about the HP characters, as I'm a
      big fan of HP (and the fanfic and fanart!) I've been drawing for a
      long time, but I've been honing my drawing skills recently as I've
      been wanting to draw my own versions of the characters for a long
      time now, but I do have problems with faces. Is there a certain
      book you can recommend for help with drawing faces? How did you get
      to the level you're at now (besides practice, practice!)? I can do
      pretty good at copying from a photograph, but my goal is to draw it
      from my head. Any help or advice is much appreciated! Thank you.

      --chiisutaru
      chiisutaru@...
      http://chiisutaru.net
    • Lisa Rourke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        Welcome, Chiisutaru and thank you for joining! ^_^ I hope you won't
        be too disappointed to learn that most of my drawings are based on
        models. I often scour magazines, ads, books etc. for people with
        characteristics that remind me of the characters as I envision them.
        I then change the features or hair style and clothes to get the
        desired effects. If I could just come up with the poses and shading
        from my head, I'd definitely be a professional by now! *lol* My
        goal, too, is to someday be able to draw totally from my own
        imagingation but in the mean time I find using photos/models
        extremely useful. I have a couple of drawing books but I really have
        not had the time or patience (especially at my age!) to sit down and
        practice from them. What I've learned technique-wise I learned on my
        own. I've actually only started portrait drawing about 2 1/2 years
        ago and I'm still learning but I have to say it's all down
        to "practice" (sorry!). Don't be afraid to use models as your base.
        What do you think all the great Renaissance artists used? *g*

        Sorry I couldn't be of more help- but I know you'll find your own way
        ^_^ Good Luck!

        Lisa