Salvete!

  • Commercium@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15 12:01 PM
      Dear folks,
      I have been teaching Latin for five years with some success: my students
      memorize the four main conjugations well before the end of the first year,
      together with their translations--about 140 forms or so altogether--all five
      declensions, etc. etc. However, I have been haunted by my memories of how I
      broke into teaching: EFL. This summer I did a stint in the same & by the
      time classes ended I had read nearly all the articles by Wilson, Thomson,
      etc., plus stuff by Krashen, Asher, etc.

      At this point, I am ready to charge into Latin using the first principles
      touted in the aticles at languageimpact.com. However, I have to say that I
      will be charging in without a program to speak of, since my program hitherto
      has been strictly grammar/translation (GT). I have order a couple books by
      Asher and Garcia & I have been studying various syllabi; perhaps I like
      Terrell's the best, but it seems to me that my best bet is to combine TPR and
      Terrell's topics/situations with the techniques discussed (such as picture
      books etc.). I think the student textbook will be copies of pictures I'll be
      taking (I wanted to Nat'l Geographic at first, but copyrights haunt me).

      So, are there any other secondary FL teachers out there in the same fix as I
      am? I look forward to what should be a very educating and entertaining list.
      Faithfully, Dan Monroe (Latin & Greek, Marshfield H.S., Coos Bay, OR).