Hurricane Katrina Relief Efforts

  • Sandra Nyear
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      From National RID:

      Hurricane Katrina Relief Efforts

      Our hearts here at RID go out to the many persons who have been
      affected by Hurricane Katrina. No doubt many interpreters have had
      their lives changed by this disaster. All members likely know of
      someone that is in the affected area. This extends to the national
      office, where a staff member had a son who lost everything in the
      storm and is now moving back home. We yearn to hear from
      individuals we have worked with and played with to know they are
      safe.

      The most effective and direct way to assist is to contribute
      directly to agencies who are experts in disaster relief. It is our
      understanding that well over 90% of funds go directly to those in
      need. There would not only be delays if members sent money to RID,
      but RID is a not-for-profit organization that is not set up to do
      this directly.

      We have provided a list below of organizations that will accept
      donations and volunteers to help out in the relief effort.

      If individuals wish to offer specific services and benefits to
      members affected by Hurricane Katrina or if you have been contacted
      by persons that are in the area, we encourage you to post that
      information on the RID Bulletin Board, located at
      http://www.rid.org/chat.html. If you are in contact with someone
      that needs assistance and may not be able to access the bulletin
      board, please pass along to them appropriate information that they
      can use. You can also post information about individuals who are
      safe so that others can know of their status.

      Let's each do what we can to help our fellow interpreters that have
      experienced adversity in this calamity.

      American Red Cross

      www.redcross.org

      1-800-HELP-NOW

      From the Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA, website
      (http://www.fema.gov/rrr/help2.shtm) which is a leg of the US
      Department of Homeland Security:

      Donate Cash

      American Red Cross

      1-800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English,

      1-800-257-7575 Spanish

      America's Second Harvest

      1-800-344-8070

      Operation Blessing

      1-800-436-6348

      Donate Cash and/or Volunteer

      Adventist Community Services

      1-800-381-7171

      B'nai B'irth International
      1-888-388-4224

      Catholic Charities, USA

      1-800-919-9338

      Christian Disaster Response

      941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554

      Christian Reformed World Relief Committee

      1-800-848-5818

      Church World Service

      1-800-297-1516

      Convoy of Hope

      417-823-8998

      Corporation for National and Community Service Disaster Relief Fund

      202-606-6718

      Feed the Children

      1-800-525-7575

      Lutheran Disaster Response

      800-638-3522

      Mennonite Disaster Service

      717-859-2210

      Nazarene Disaster Response

      888-256-5886

      Presbyterian Disaster Assistance

      800-872-3283

      Salvation Army

      1-800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

      Southern Baptist Convention – Disaster Relief

      1-800-462-8657, ext. 6440

      United Jewish Communities

      1-877-277-2477

      United Methodist Committee on Relief

      1-800-554-8583

      For further information, visit the National Voluntary Organizations
      Active in Disaster (NVOAD) – http://www.nvoad.org

      This list of organizations is provided by the National Organization
      of Voluntary Agencies Active in Disaster. Please email EST-DONAT-
      A@... if you are interested in having your organization added to
      the list.

      This message has been sent by the Registry of Interpreters for the
      Deaf