Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Lilo questions

  • DakaO
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
      > On Sunday 03 March 2002 09:26, you wrote:
      >
      > Hold down the <shift> key while 98 boots, it will start in safe mode. On
      my
      > systems, at the lilo prompt I type windows<enter> and the nimmediately
      hold
      > down the <shift> key.
      >
      > > How do you bypass Lilo to start Windows98 in safe mode? Lilo has
      > > disabled the F1, F8, and Ctl keys normally used to go to safe mode on
      > > startup.

      The other thing might to be install tweakui on your windows system, you can
      then
      make the boot menu appear for a set time once it boots into windows, this
      gives you the option of choosing the boot method.

      David
    • Peter Brayman
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
        Press and hold F8 when you see the "Loading Windows" or "Starting Windows"
        (I don't remember the exact words) and you'll go to the windows boot menu.
        Then you can select Safe Mode or whatever.

        Do this after starting windows normally with Lilo

        Pete

        I'll try the shift key. The Ctl key didn't do anything except start
        Windows in regular mode.

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., "Jerry A. Stevens" <acetoo2000@y...> wrote:
        > On Sunday 03 March 2002 09:26, you wrote:
        >
        > Hold down the <shift> key while 98 boots, it will start in safe
        mode. On my
        > systems, at the lilo prompt I type windows<enter> and the
        nimmediately hold
        > down the <shift> key.
        >
        > > How do you bypass Lilo to start Windows98 in safe mode? Lilo has
        > > disabled the F1, F8, and Ctl keys normally used to go to safe
        mode on
        > > startup.

        To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

      • steve92345
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
          I might give that a try. Nothing else brings up the menu to select
          safe mode. It might a problem that's unrelated to Lilo. I'm not in
          a big hurry to use safe mode, just like to be able to do so.

          Steve

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., "DakaO" <obsidion@i...> wrote:

          > The other thing might to be install tweakui on your windows system,
          you can
          > then
          > make the boot menu appear for a set time once it boots into
          windows, this
          > gives you the option of choosing the boot method.
          >
          > David
        • Godwin Stewart
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
            On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:04:12 -0500, "Peter Brayman" <peteb@...> wrote
            to <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>:

            > Press and hold F8 when you see the "Loading Windows" or "Starting Windows"
            > (I don't remember the exact words) and you'll go to the windows boot menu.
            > Then you can select Safe Mode or whatever.

            The F8 key gets you the boot menu on Windows *95*. The Ctrl key works fine
            here on W98.
            | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
            | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |