explore2fs

  • Arbi
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi all...i have Downloaded explore2fs, which is a linux explorer for windows. I can view all the files and
      folders in linux from within windows, (ofcourse you knew that).

      My question is, is there an explorer where by i could view the windows files and folders from within linux.

      id appreciate the name of the prog and the site to DL it from.

      Thanks in advance.

    • Brian L. Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Mar 1, Arbi did the following thing upon the keyboard:

        >My question is, is there an explorer where by i could view the windows
        >files and folders from within linux.

        You don't need such a program because Linux can effortlessly read and
        write the windoze filesystem as easily as it's own.

        All you have to do is mount the windoze partition, and it becomes a
        seamless part of your Linux filesystem tree.

        -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
        9192 links at blj8.com!
        ---------------------------------
        For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
        For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...
      • Tim Currell
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          > You don't need such a program because Linux can effortlessly read and

          > write the windoze filesystem as easily as it's own.
          >
          > All you have to do is mount the windoze partition, and it becomes a
          > seamless part of your Linux filesystem tree.

          I had a suspicion this was possible. Now for the $10,000 question:

          *How?*

          Remember you're talking to a complete lidiot here, so the more specific
          the better. Thanks in advance!

          =====
          ---Tim C.
          timcurrell@...

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Scott Robbins
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
            From: "Tim Currell" <timcurrell@...>
            \

            This is covered in the linux@yahoogroups faq at

            http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#Windows

            > Remember you're talking to a complete lidiot here, so the more specific
            > the better. Thanks in advance!

            Heh--it's pretty specific--if there's something you don't understand let me
            know, as I consider that to be a "bug in the documentation"
            Scott
          • Tim Currell
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- Scott Robbins <scottro@...> wrote:

              > This is covered in the linux@yahoogroups faq at
              >
              > http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#Windows
              >
              > Heh--it's pretty specific--if there's something you don't understand
              > let me
              > know, as I consider that to be a "bug in the documentation"
              > Scott

              Okay, great! We'll give it a crack tonight when I get home. And
              thanks for the FAQ page tip, looks like it will come in handy for a
              BUNCH of things. Have a great weekend...

              =====
              ---Tim C.
              timcurrell@...

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Brian L. Johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                On Mar 1, Tim Currell did the following thing upon the keyboard:

                >I had a suspicion this was possible. Now for the $10,000 question:
                >*How?*

                Well, the first thing is that if you have a modern distro such as
                Redhat, Mandrake or such, then the installer may have already set it up
                for you. Look under the directory /dos and see if you see your windows
                files there. The way it is typically mounted is that your C: drive
                becomes /dos, so what would be c:\windows\desktop in windoze would be
                /dos/windows/desktop in Linux.

                If you don't see any /dos dir, then look under /mnt for a directory name
                that suggests DOS or Windows, and look there.

                If that still fails, run the command "mount" in an xterm window, and
                look for a line that ends in something like "type vfat (rw)" (or type
                msdos, etc)

                And if that doesn't do it, then you definitely don't have your windoze
                partitions mounted. Here's a quickie primer on how:

                First, we must go over how Linux names drives and partitions.

                DOS(windoze) calls the first partition on the primary drive "C:", then
                the second partition "D:", etc. The naming system gets a little more
                complicated if you have multiple drives, but I won't go there.

                In Unix, _everything_is_a_file_. A device is represented as a file, core
                memory is represented as a file, etc. Linux, being part of the greater
                Unix family, is no different.

                In Linux, hardware devices are represented as files in the toplevel
                directory "/dev". Hard drives are named according to a logical code that
                once understood, is trivially easy to work with.

                For example, the primary partition on the primary IDE drive would be
                named hda1. This breaks down as follows:
                *) "hd" designates an IDE drive (or "sd" for a SCSI drive)
                *) Then a letter designating the drive, "a" for the primary master, "b"
                for the primary slave, etc
                *) Then a number designating the partition
                So by this system, the fifth partition on the secondary master IDE drive
                would be "hdc5". Likewise, if you see "hdd7", you know that's the
                seventh partition of the secondary slave IDE drive.

                One qualifier to this is that logical partitions in extended partitions
                are always numbered starting at 5, so your first logical partition on
                the primary master would be "hda5". From an example above, "hdd7" would
                actually be the third logical partition on the secondary IDE slave.

                Now having learned all that (whew! :), if your windoze is on C:, then it
                is likely on /dev/hda1. LOL, I could have told you that before I rambled
                on about hard drive naming conventions, but I'm evil, you see. <g>
                But seriously, the information will be useful to you later even if it
                isn't now. :)

                So the thing to do is open up an xterm, and run the command "su" to
                become root (giving the root password when prompted). Then, you run the
                mount command:

                mount -t [filesystemtype] [device] [mountpoint] <options>

                In your case,

                mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dos

                (note that the mountpoint, the directory "/dos" must already exist and
                be empty)

                If all goes well, then you can see all your windoze files in C:\ under
                /dos. If you wish to unmount your windoze partition, give the command
                "umount /dos" (but you cannot be in or below that dir at the time or the
                umount command will fail).

                If you want this to be a permanent change past your next reboot, then
                you can put a line in /etc/fstab like this:

                /dev/hda1 /dos vfat defaults 0 0

                Each entry in the line is seperated by tabs. Once you put this line in
                /etc/fstab, your windoze files will be automounted on every bootup. Of
                course, remember to be root when you edit this file!

                Well, hope that gives you a nugget of understanding. :)

                Recommended reading: The man page for mount ("man mount"). It's big,
                long and dense reading, but take it in a little at a time in tolerable
                doses, and it will become clear to you in a short time. :)

                -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
                9192 links at blj8.com!
                ---------------------------------
                For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
                For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...
              • Bayu Notonegoro
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                  Sorry, but can you tell me where you download the explore2fs???
                  the URL please......

                  thanks
                  ~bn

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                    On 21:06 2002/03/03 +0700, Bayu Notonegoro wrote
                    >Sorry, but can you tell me where you download the explore2fs???
                    >the URL please......

                    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

                    A quick note on this--frequently, you can find such things by using google
                    or your favorite search ending. In this case, I went to google, typed in
                    explore2fs and the first link was the above page.

                    That's not a criticism--especially for people who don't have broadband
                    access, or pay for each minute they are on line, searching can be time
                    consuming.

                    Scott

                    >thanks
                    >~bn

                  • Bayu Notonegoro
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                      A quick note on this--frequently, you can find such things by using google
                      or your favorite search ending. In this case, I went to google, typed in
                      explore2fs and the first link was the above page.

                      That's not a criticism--especially for people who don't have broadband
                      access, or pay for each minute they are on line, searching can be time
                      consuming.

                      Scott

                      Thanks for ~answer~ scott
                      Sorry scott I don't meant to bother you. I have two reasons of that:
                      1. I forget that there is such a search engine (really i meant it).
                      2. I used dial up connection, thanks for your understanding.

                      Once again, sorry scott if I waste you precious time
                      ~bn

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
                        On 23:09 2002/03/03 +0700, Bayu Notonegoro wrote

                        Exactly--no reason to apologize. The only reason that I even mentioned how
                        I found it is because this is a newbies list, and part of being a newbie
                        can include not knowing where to look for things.

                        However, living in the US, with an unlimited broadband connection, it's
                        easy to forget that many people are still on dialup :) Also, although
                        this is rare in the US, I believe it is common in other places, many also
                        pay for each moment that they're online.

                        > Once again, sorry scott if I waste you precious time

                        Helping someone is not a waste of time--it's a chance to pay back all those
                        who help me. :) (Pollyanna-ish though that sounds, it is true, even if I
                        don't always do it.) :)

                        Scott