Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Redhat upgrade problems

  • Brian L. Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      On Aug 31, Greg Fundyler wrote to LINUX_Newbies@egroups.com:

      >I heard that LILO sometimes does bad writes. I think you are supposed to
      >boot from a boot disk and reinstall LILO or something. Wait til a pro
      >answers. (Brian???)

      Well, you boot from a diskette that has the chroot utility, such as
      tomsrtbt (http://toms.net/rb). Once booted, mount your hard drive, and
      run BASH chroot'd, then run LILO off your HD...

      -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
      http://www.blj8.com
      Total Bookmarks in file= 7238
      ---------------------------------
    • rejohnso@bigfoot.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        Thanks.

        That's about what I discovered last night. Everything seemed to
        be
        ok, except that I couldn't boot from the hard drive. When I
        booted from a floppy, I went exploring, and found a file called lilo.

        Throwing caution to the wind, I ran it, and once again, I was
        magically able to boot both OSs from the hard drive. Thanks again.

        ...regan

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@egroups.com, "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@b...>