Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Redhat upgrade problems

  • Greg Fundyler
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2000
      Stupid ads at the top of the e-mails!!!

      I heard that LILO sometimes does bad writes. I think you are supposed to
      boot from a boot disk and reinstall LILO or something. Wait til a pro
      answers. (Brian???)

      - Greg

      rejohnso@... wrote:

      > oops...
      >
      > I installed Red Hat 6.0 and NT, and used Lilo to switch between
      >
      > booting in both OSs.
      >
      > -I acquired the sybex? Gnome book, which included a Redhat 6.1
      >
      > distro.
      > -I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 6.1.
      > -Early in the upgrade, I got some sort of error from the installation
      > program, a window popped up, there was some sort of installation
      > macro code on the window, and it asked me if I wanted to debug. I
      > said
      > no.
      > -The machine then rebooted.
      > -I stuck in the 6.1 install floppy again, before the boot.
      > -I still 'really wanted' to do the upgrade, so I reinstalled RH6.1 on
      > my computer. It looked like almost the whole installation worked
      > fine, but after all of the packages were copied, it looks like I got
      > the same problem as above.
      > -I said oops, let the machine reboot itself, and to my horror, at the
      > LILO prompt, the machine showed 'LI' on the screen, and then
      > paitently went to sleep.
      > -I tried this several times, and got the same result.
      > -I put in my 6.0 boot disk, and was able to start up the Linux, it
      > came up saying 6.1, and everything looked ok (really, really quick
      > check).
      > -I put in a DOS boot disk, and Win NT seems to be still there.
      >
      > My question is, how do I fix up Lilo, so that it will allow me to
      > boot to both OSs, without further damaging anything.
      >
      > P.S. There is nothing really important on my Linux OS that cannot be
      > recreated or copied back from NT.
    • Brian L. Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        On Aug 31, Greg Fundyler wrote to LINUX_Newbies@egroups.com:

        >I heard that LILO sometimes does bad writes. I think you are supposed to
        >boot from a boot disk and reinstall LILO or something. Wait til a pro
        >answers. (Brian???)

        Well, you boot from a diskette that has the chroot utility, such as
        tomsrtbt (http://toms.net/rb). Once booted, mount your hard drive, and
        run BASH chroot'd, then run LILO off your HD...

        -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
        http://www.blj8.com
        Total Bookmarks in file= 7238
        ---------------------------------
      • rejohnso@bigfoot.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
          Thanks.

          That's about what I discovered last night. Everything seemed to
          be
          ok, except that I couldn't boot from the hard drive. When I
          booted from a floppy, I went exploring, and found a file called lilo.

          Throwing caution to the wind, I ran it, and once again, I was
          magically able to boot both OSs from the hard drive. Thanks again.

          ...regan

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@egroups.com, "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@b...>