Wow... network card works half

  • Michael Shindler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      well, I got Kudzu to show up when I started up my computer today and it noticed
      that I had a network card in there. ^.^

      Even asked me if I wanted to configure it. I did.

      I was so excited! I logged into my name (not root; my non-root name. I don't
      like to use root because I realize I can change a lot, so unless I'm following
      directions that say to do so, I avoid root) and opened Netscape.

      I get the following pop-up:

      -------
      Netscape: Error (title bar)

      Text:
      Warning: The following hosts are unknown:
      home.netscape.com
      home6.netscape.com
      internic.net

      This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

      Stop symbol, then:
      Perhaps there is a problem with your name server? If your site must use a
      non-root name server [Mike's note: must I be in as root to use the internet?],
      you will need to set the $SOCKS_NS environemnt variable to point at the
      appropriate name server. It may (or may not) be necessary to set this variable,
      or the SOCKS host preference, to the IP address of the host in question rather
      than its name.

      Consult your system administrator.

      [OK]
      --------

      Any advise? I understand the individual words of the error message but have no
      idea (from "Perhaps there is a problem..." on) what it means.

      Thanks,
      Michael
      {PS: Feel free to contact me on AOL IM: "Daidoji Arichi" is the name I use when
      I'm in my dorm room - and keep on when I'm out, too, usually. This might make
      helping a bit easier than eMail and the list, but doesn't offer the same
      archival benefits. If it's easier for you, though, I'll use that.
      Point is, the AIM is on the Windows machine that is RIGHT next to my Linux
      machine and I now can use both at once {2 monitors, 2 keyboards, etc}. If the
      away messages make no sense, read the profile, yes, the away messages really
      are written in Scheme}

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Andres Rosado
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2002
        At 09:53 PM 1/31/2002 -0800, you wrote:
        >well, I got Kudzu to show up when I started up my computer today and it
        >noticed
        >that I had a network card in there. ^.^
        >
        >Even asked me if I wanted to configure it. I did.
        >
        >I was so excited! I logged into my name (not root; my non-root name. I don't
        >like to use root because I realize I can change a lot, so unless I'm following
        >directions that say to do so, I avoid root) and opened Netscape.
        >
        >I get the following pop-up:
        >
        >-------
        >Netscape: Error (title bar)
        >
        >Text:
        >Warning: The following hosts are unknown:
        >home.netscape.com
        >home6.netscape.com
        >internic.net
        >
        >This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.
        >
        >Stop symbol, then:
        >Perhaps there is a problem with your name server? If your site must use a
        >non-root name server [Mike's note: must I be in as root to use the internet?],
        >you will need to set the $SOCKS_NS environemnt variable to point at the
        >appropriate name server. It may (or may not) be necessary to set this
        >variable,
        >or the SOCKS host preference, to the IP address of the host in question rather
        >than its name.
        >
        >Consult your system administrator.
        >
        >[OK]
        >--------
        >

        >Any advise? I understand the individual words of the error message but have no
        >idea (from "Perhaps there is a problem..." on) what it means.

        Try to check if you have a connection with ping:

        ping localhost
        ping 216.32.74.53

        If it doesn't responds, then the problem might be that the card module is
        not loaded correctly.

        >Thanks,
        >Michael
        >{PS: Feel free to contact me on AOL IM: "Daidoji Arichi" is the name I use
        >when
        >I'm in my dorm room - and keep on when I'm out, too, usually. This might make
        >helping a bit easier than eMail and the list, but doesn't offer the same
        >archival benefits. If it's easier for you, though, I'll use that.
        >Point is, the AIM is on the Windows machine that is RIGHT next to my Linux
        >machine and I now can use both at once {2 monitors, 2 keyboards, etc}. If the
        >away messages make no sense, read the profile, yes, the away messages really
        >are written in Scheme}

        Andres Rosado
        Email: andresr@...
        ICQ: 66750646