Re: [LINUX_Newbies] RAM Prices

  • Godwin Stewart
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:30:23 -0700 Joe Dufresne <josad@...> wrote:

      > Oui, that's what I figured. Untill I get a PCMCIA modem, I'm stuck using
      > Lose 98, and I'm hoping with 320 megs it wont crash as often.

      Hmm.... Don't know if that'll help you much. Windows 9x has a 16-bit resource
      pool. That means that a 64KB segment holds all of the system's handles. NT,
      OTOH, doesn't know about these restrictions.

      IOW, however much RAM you stuff into the machine, you'll still be stuck with
      your 16-bit resource pool and just as prone to resource shortages. Better
      still, if you install too much RAM (512MB+) it'll interfere with the way Win9x
      manages the video adapter.

      Still, it's comfortable working with 320MB of RAM - I should know, that's what
      I have :)

      | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
      | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
      My New Year's Resolution: Fight against pointless signatures...
    • Joe Dufresne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002
        Well, soon I'll be running w2k/linux.

        Picked up another 256 from lsmicro, $56. That brings me to 512 mb.