Re: [LINUX_Newbies] RAM Prices

  • Joe Dufresne
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
      Godwin Stewart wrote:

      >>Just bought 256 laptop memory for $90 at compusa.
      >>I was to lazy to shop around.
      >That's propbably not a bad price anyway. RAM for laptops is always more
      >expensive than regular DIMM sticks.

      Oui, that's what I figured. Untill I get a PCMCIA modem, I'm stuck using
      Lose 98, and I'm hoping with 320 megs it wont crash as often.

    • Godwin Stewart
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
        On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:30:23 -0700 Joe Dufresne <josad@...> wrote:

        > Oui, that's what I figured. Untill I get a PCMCIA modem, I'm stuck using
        > Lose 98, and I'm hoping with 320 megs it wont crash as often.

        Hmm.... Don't know if that'll help you much. Windows 9x has a 16-bit resource
        pool. That means that a 64KB segment holds all of the system's handles. NT,
        OTOH, doesn't know about these restrictions.

        IOW, however much RAM you stuff into the machine, you'll still be stuck with
        your 16-bit resource pool and just as prone to resource shortages. Better
        still, if you install too much RAM (512MB+) it'll interfere with the way Win9x
        manages the video adapter.

        Still, it's comfortable working with 320MB of RAM - I should know, that's what
        I have :)

        | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
        | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
        My New Year's Resolution: Fight against pointless signatures...
      • Joe Dufresne
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002
          Well, soon I'll be running w2k/linux.

          Picked up another 256 from lsmicro, $56. That brings me to 512 mb.