Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Change Workgroup

  • Jason Flatt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
      On Thursday 29 November 2001 10:50 pm, poulsonplace@... wrote:
      > I am running Mandrake 8.1. How can I change the workgroup from whatever
      > it is now to HOME without using the graphical stuff, just the tty's?
      >
      > Thanks a lot,
      > Andy
      >

      > P.S.
      > I just got Windows XP and I ran the little thing that lets you set up a
      > home network. Do I just have to get the same workgroups on both (they are
      > behind a router) and they I can use file sharing?

      That's what Samba is for. The file you need to change should be called
      smb.conf and it should be in the /etc/samba directory. The setting is
      called workgroup and it is in the [global] section. For Q&As, check out
      Scott's Web page at:

      http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#Samba

      or the Samba home site at:

      http://www.samba.org