Modem Saga

  • Raquel Rice
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2001
      A couple of you may remember a week and a half ago I asked about the
      56K U.S. Robotics modem I'd just bought and couldn't get to work.
      After 2 days, a long night and then another day 3 days later I wrote
      to U.S. Robotics. They told me that they do not/will not support
      the external 56K Ext. Fax Modem.

      Thank you everyone for all your tips to make it work ... but it
      didn't.

      I took it back to the store tonight and got a Zoom V.92 Ext., model
      #3049. I removed the old modem, plugged in the new, fired up the
      box, the modem dialed and connected without missing a beat. Tonight
      I'm the happiest woman alive!!

      --
      Raquel
      Ignorance is learned; innocence is forgotten.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
        Gee, you can't be the happiest woman alive, as she is
        here with me!

        Of course, she is a redhead, and I guess there could
        be a 'happiest woman' in each hair color...

        Us guys really don't mind what color hair you wear
        this week, cuz you are all so darling...
        Patrick
        www.leap-cf.org
        Install fest on Dec. 1st in Central Florida!

        --- Raquel Rice <raquel@...> wrote:
        > A couple of you may remember a week and a half ago I
        > asked about the
        snipped - - - -
        plugged in the new,
        > fired up the
        > box, the modem dialed and connected without missing
        > a beat. Tonight
        > I'm the happiest woman alive!!
        >
        > --
        > Raquel

        > Ignorance is learned; innocence is forgotten.
        > --Jos� Bergam�n

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • Raquel Rice
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
          On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:42:02 -0800 (PST)
          Patrick Berry Patrick Berry <pberry26@...> wrote:

          > Gee, you can't be the happiest woman alive, as she is
          > here with me!
          >
          > Of course, she is a redhead, and I guess there could
          > be a 'happiest woman' in each hair color...
          >
          > Us guys really don't mind what color hair you wear
          > this week, cuz you are all so darling...
          > Patrick
          > www.leap-cf.org
          > Install fest on Dec. 1st in Central Florida!

          Oh gosh. Did I tell everyone that I'm blond? Now you'll never
          listen to another word I have to say!

          While I have your attention ... I'm putting 128MB RAM into my poor
          little Pentium 90 (up from 64MB RAM). I seem to remember that I
          need to tell Linux that I'm putting that much memory into the box?
          Is that LILO that I need to inform?

          Thanks for your help!

          --
          Raquel
          We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
            On 17:29 2001/11/30 -0800, Raquel Rice wrote

            >Oh gosh. Did I tell everyone that I'm blond? Now you'll never
            >listen to another word I have to say!

            Heh, let me give Meph another thing to get me on. Gee, Raquel, that must
            have been you at my computer. Now I know why there was whiteout all over
            the screen. :)

            >While I have your attention ... I'm putting 128MB RAM into my poor
            >little Pentium 90 (up from 64MB RAM). I seem to remember that I
            >need to tell Linux that I'm putting that much memory into the box?
            >Is that LILO that I need to inform?

            This will really depend. Type, err, uh, (old fogie that I am, I'm drawing
            a blank----ah , type FREE, THAT'S IT. Err, but as Linux is case-sensitive,
            you better type free--sorry, I got overly excited. :)
            This will let you know if Linux found it or not--I've found that most
            recent distros find it without problem.

            HTH
            Scott
          • Raquel Rice
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
              On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:21:58 -0500
              Scott Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

              > Heh, let me give Meph another thing to get me on. Gee, Raquel,
              > that must
              > have been you at my computer. Now I know why there was whiteout
              > all over
              > the screen. :)
              >
              > This will really depend. Type, err, uh, (old fogie that I am, I'm
              > drawing
              > a blank----ah , type FREE, THAT'S IT. Err, but as Linux is
              > case-sensitive,
              > you better type free--sorry, I got overly excited. :)
              > This will let you know if Linux found it or not--I've found that
              > most
              > recent distros find it without problem.
              >
              > HTH
              > Scott

              Hmmmmmmm ... maybe in your "old age" you're developing cataracts?

              Okay, "free" will tell me whether Linux is recognizing my new
              memory. Okie dokie, I just thought of something else ... the swap
              space! I need to enlarge that too!!?? I guess I should download
              Gnu Parted. <sigh>

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                www.partimage.org has a partition program that is
                cross platform...

                One of my middle aged friends, in my LUG, is getting
                cataracts... and we just helped her to make the screen
                type 20 pt. at the installfest yesterday...
                I do love being this old, and this wise, but wish
                there were more time in the day to play...
                Patrick in Florida, with the perfect network (Open
                Source powered!), the perfect Redheaded Woman, the
                perfect LUG ( www.leap-cf.org ),and, the perfect
                life...

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • Patrick Berry
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Oh! Did you not know that one must be both blond
                  haired, plus blue eyed, to be really dumb!
                  Patrick in Paradise

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                    On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 05:35:37 -0800 (PST)
                    Patrick Berry Patrick Berry <pberry26@...> wrote:

                    > Oh! Did you not know that one must be both blond
                    > haired, plus blue eyed, to be really dumb!
                    > Patrick in Paradise

                    Ummmmmmm ... Blond, blue-eyed and live in Paradise ... Paradise,
                    California.

                    --
                    Raquel
                    Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry