Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Partitons

  • Kuj0
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2000
      If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
      tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
      partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
      IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
      and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
      http://www.winehq.com or its .org

      Bill

      At 08:18 PM 4/13/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >> Using WINE, you can access the windows partition from LINUX
      >
      >Where could I get that utility? (I am a beginner... sorry if it happens
      >to be one of the files inside Linux, in fact I do not have my PC for the
      >next two weeks since I screwed it up when I installed Linux and Windows
      >could not run anymore... I guess there was a problem then with LILO since
      >the letters "LI" were appears, well, I got to that conclusion until now,
      >maybe I should have reinstalled Linux and then try to reinstall Windows...
      > so, I will try to install Linux again [once I get my PC back] :)
      >Though, I would like to know about the mentioned utility)
      >
      >Any help is appreciated,
      >JG

      >Send online invitations with Yahoo! Invites.
      >http://invites.yahoo.com

      >1.6 Million Digital Images!
      >Download one Today from Corbis.com

    • Storm
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2000
        </lurk>
        Uhm,... I Think that we're all missing the obvious.... Assuming that you're
        using a gui of some sort, and wine requires this if I remember correctly) I
        installed Mandrake Air (7.0) and it actually "automatically" mounts the
        drives that I have in the machine. It left icons on the desktop (for KDE)
        for each HD partition. HDA5, HDA 7, etc. As soon as I click on one of them,
        it mounts the drive. This would be the easiest route for accessing the
        files. At the console, the mount command with root permissions is your way
        to go. :)

        Have they made big changes from Mandrake 7 to 7.02 that would stop me from
        having a dual boot(or triple boot)? Because currently, I have Mandrake 7.0,
        Windows NT, and Win98 on my machine at home. And Mandrake 7.0 and Win98SE
        on my laptop. Or perhaps I made it work, because I didn't know you weren't
        supposed to be able to. :)

        JG - If they haven't done any work on your machine yet, try to get it back
        and fix it yourself. Even if the computer is on warranty, often a machine
        "messed up" by software that a user installed is something that they will
        charge you to fix. And they will make a mess if they install windows over
        top of what you've got on there already (Winblows may work, but a bunch of
        your windows proggies likely won't, due to dlls that were overwritten by
        older ones) and if they format,... well,.. that's a worse pain, especially
        if you're not totally backed up, and the "Tech shops" like to do that, then
        tell you when you pick up the machine. And I'd be willing to bet that you'd
        be able to fix it in less than 2 weeks. You can even recover from a
        "corrupt partition table", if that's why it went in in the first place.
        (usually an fdisk will help that,...And I have debug scripts that can take
        care of wiping a HD if FDisk gives you a problem) All the friendly people
        here will help I'm sure. (My Linux experience is so limited, I make a
        newbie look like a guru,... but I will help too if I can. )

        IMHO, The best way to manage linux and windows is with boot magic (part of
        the Partition Magic program, suite, whatever :) ) I use that for the triple
        and dual boots that I mentioned above, and have yet to have it crater on me.
        *touches wood* LILO was a bit of a pain, it's great when it works smoothly,
        but occasionally, it has a temper tantrum, especially if you resize a
        partition, I got the "LI" that you were talking about then.

        Good Luck
        Storm
        Programmer Analyst

        <lurk>

        >If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
        >tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
        >partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
        >IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
        >and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
        >http://www.winehq.com or its .org
        >
        >Bill
        >
        >At 08:18 PM 4/13/00 -0700, you wrote:
        >>> Using WINE, you can access the windows partition from LINUX
        >>
        >>Where could I get that utility? (I am a beginner... sorry if it happens
        >>to be one of the files inside Linux, in fact I do not have my PC for the
        >>next two weeks since I screwed it up when I installed Linux and Windows
        >>could not run anymore... I guess there was a problem then with LILO since
        >>the letters "LI" were appears, well, I got to that conclusion until now,
        >>maybe I should have reinstalled Linux and then try to reinstall Windows...
        >> so, I will try to install Linux again [once I get my PC back] :)
        >>Though, I would like to know about the mentioned utility)
        >>
        >>Any help is appreciated,
        >>JG
      • Kuj0
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 14, 2000
          I don't know, I just know what happened with me. 6.5 ran fine on the
          machine, a fujitsu laptop, I just encountered to many problems.

        • Rooster
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2000
            >If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
            >tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
            >partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
            >IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
            >and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
            >http://www.winehq.com or its .org
            There is nothing to stop people multibooting. Your problem appears to be
            that you removed lilo but didn't remove the linux partitions. You then of
            course blamed linux because Windoze fdisk has the inability to recognise &
            delete linux partitions.

            You probably tried to delete what windoze said was an empty extended
            partition but then got a message about it containing logical drives or
            something. This is a problem with windoze fdisk, not linux. To remove linux
            partitions, either use linux fdisk (or one from an equally competent OS),
            Partition Magic or a free utility like Ranish Partition Manager from
            http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ (I use this to assist in
            createing/deleteing partitions, use the os's own fdisk program where
            possible & LiLi to boot the system).

            BTW - you do NOT need wine to access a windoze partition. You use wine to
            run a limited number of dos/windoze (mainly 3.1) apps from within linux, not
            for accessing the partition.

            Rooster
          • Rooster
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2000
              >Uhm,... I Think that we're all missing the obvious.... Assuming that you're
              >using a gui of some sort, and wine requires this if I remember correctly) I
              >installed Mandrake Air (7.0) and it actually "automatically" mounts the
              >drives that I have in the machine. It left icons on the desktop (for KDE)
              >for each HD partition. HDA5, HDA 7, etc. As soon as I click on one of
              them,
              >it mounts the drive. This would be the easiest route for accessing the
              >files. At the console, the mount command with root permissions is your way
              >to go. :)

              Almost all current distro's will automatically setup the mount for other
              os's on the system, or give you the chance to set it up manually during the
              install. If not, the /etc/fstab file needs to be edited manually.

              >Have they made big changes from Mandrake 7 to 7.02 that would stop me from
              >having a dual boot(or triple boot)? Because currently, I have Mandrake 7.0,
              >Windows NT, and Win98 on my machine at home. And Mandrake 7.0 and Win98SE
              >on my laptop. Or perhaps I made it work, because I didn't know you weren't
              >supposed to be able to. :)

              No changes. If you have set up multiboots before, you do it exactly the
              same. There has never been a problem with it, just when it fails, a lot of
              people say it can't be done &/or blame linux when it is usually a user
              problem (ie: didn't read the doc's or ask first!)

              >IMHO, The best way to manage linux and windows is with boot magic (part of
              >the Partition Magic program, suite, whatever :) ) I use that for the triple
              >and dual boots that I mentioned above, and have yet to have it crater on
              me.
              >*touches wood* LILO was a bit of a pain, it's great when it works smoothly,
              >but occasionally, it has a temper tantrum, especially if you resize a
              >partition, I got the "LI" that you were talking about then.

              I actually prefer lilo. When used properly, I find it much more powerful &
              versatile than most other boot managers. It's ability to hide/unhide
              partitions, password protect & restrict access to partitions is great. And
              it's free.
              Resizing a linux partition is not an easy task, no matter what you use. Even
              if you had managed to get succesfully past LiLo, linux would have crashed
              anyway, because it wasn't resized in the correct manner.

              Rooster
            • Rooster
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15, 2000
                > > Using WINE, you can access the windows partition from LINUX

                That's not what WINE is for. Wine runs dos/windows apps. It does not provide
                access to a windows partition. To get access you need to mount the partition
                first, using either the mount command (see man mount) or editing the
                /etc/fstab file.

                > Where could I get that utility? (I am a beginner... sorry if it happens
                > to be one of the files inside Linux, in fact I do not have my PC for the
                > next two weeks since I screwed it up when I installed Linux and Windows
                > could not run anymore... I guess there was a problem then with LILO since
                > the letters "LI" were appears, well, I got to that conclusion until now,
                > maybe I should have reinstalled Linux and then try to reinstall Windows...
                > so, I will try to install Linux again [once I get my PC back] :)
                > Though, I would like to know about the mentioned utility)

                In this situation, you had a couple of options, depending upon how prepared
                you were.

                1. Boot from a windows boot disk & run fdisk /mbr to remove lilo from the
                MBR of the drive. This would then let the system boot straight back into
                windows. You could then either boot from a linux floppy & try to sought out
                what went wrong or re-install linux.

                2. Just boot from a linux boot floppy & then try to recover from the lilo
                error, possibly could be solved by just running /sbin/lilo to reinstall it.

                Rooster
              • Kuj0
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16, 2000
                  No, after I tried fdisking (it does work, its just a pain in the butt to
                  get it to work.) and trying windows, and that not working, I tried
                  reloading Mandrake 7.0 then tried Mandrake 6.5 then tried RedHat 6. then
                  Redhat 5.2. None of them would boot up.

                  At 11:11 AM 4/16/00 +1000, you wrote:
                  >>If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
                  >>tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
                  >>partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
                  >>IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
                  >>and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
                  >>http://www.winehq.com or its .org
                  >There is nothing to stop people multibooting. Your problem appears to be
                  >that you removed lilo but didn't remove the linux partitions. You then of
                  >course blamed linux because Windoze fdisk has the inability to recognise &
                  >delete linux partitions.
                  >
                  >You probably tried to delete what windoze said was an empty extended
                  >partition but then got a message about it containing logical drives or
                  >something. This is a problem with windoze fdisk, not linux. To remove linux
                  >partitions, either use linux fdisk (or one from an equally competent OS),
                  >Partition Magic or a free utility like Ranish Partition Manager from
                  >http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ (I use this to assist in
                  >createing/deleteing partitions, use the os's own fdisk program where
                  >possible & LiLi to boot the system).
                  >
                  >BTW - you do NOT need wine to access a windoze partition. You use wine to
                  >run a limited number of dos/windoze (mainly 3.1) apps from within linux, not
                  >for accessing the partition.
                  >
                  >Rooster

                  >You can win $1000!
                  >Time-limited offer. Enter today at:

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16, 2000
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@egroups.com, Kuj0 <kuj0@f...> wrote:
                    > No, after I tried fdisking (it does work, its just a pain in the
                    butt to
                    > get it to work.) and trying windows, and that not working, I tried
                    > reloading Mandrake 7.0 then tried Mandrake 6.5 then tried RedHat 6.
                    then
                    > Redhat 5.2. None of them would boot up.

                    Teach me to make assumptions :-)

                    Rooster
                  • Kuj0
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 17, 2000
                      Not a prob, I shoulda explained all that up front.

                      Bill